Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

coral reef restaurant sacramento ca

Pages: 1 8 replies

T
tvguy posted on Mon, Jun 22, 2009 1:08 AM

Hi, im new to the tiki central, but want to let you all know that I have intimate knowledge and info on the Coral Reef Restaurant in Sacramento, CA.... I tried to save the wonderful
icon from the ..wrecking ball but could not----- now everyone is happy it is an empty lot I however remember it well and have video and pics and memorabilia from there, if anyone is familiar with the restaurant please let me know your memories, I have a few thousand brand new napkins with the logo,,,and several boxes unopened of the matches with the logo...slso some menus etc...even a clam shell three feet across...I will share these with people who have a true link to this restaurant... so let me know...

Bryan

On 2009-06-22 01:08, tvguy wrote:
...I will share these with people who have a true link to this restaurant... so let me know...

Bryan

Howdy Bry'
Here's a link for ya', pardner:

Other General Tiki Coral Reef Sacramento thread

Yeehaw! Matches! I love matches!
I don't need napkins, 'cause I got sleeves.
Buzzy Out!

tvguy,

Many of us here in Sacramento would really like to hear about the iconic Coral Reef.

I would like to know the particulars surrounding the final days and what happened to everything inside of the building. I also have an interest in the menus, matchbooks and napkins as well.

Thanks for taking the time to post and please share your stories here so everyone can read about them.

PTD

Hi Bryan

Nice to hear from ya. I have a lot of memories of Coral Reef with my parents, but also my girlfriend's parents who were big fans of the place.

One of my favorite memories of The Coral Reef was when I would go with my girlfriend and her parents, her father would ask us if we wanted a mai tai and we were like hell yeah we want a mai tai! So he would order mai tais for the table and the people who worked there were like cool, no problem we won't say anything. And her dad wouldn't either because he was the commander at the CHP Academy in Bryte near West Sac. His daughter and I were both 19 at the time. I couldn't think of a better place for me to learn about mai tais.

I remember the restaurant dining room filled with the smell of cantonese/polynesian style cooking, the sounds coming from the kitchen and the cool fish tanks spread throughout the dining room. The main dining area was straight ahead and to the left. The bar was to the right. I remember it being very dark in there with some soft lighting here and there and I think a thatch roof overhanging the bar. I also remember the small stage but for some reason don't remember the live music. They had a bartender (kinda short) who worked there for years, I think his name was Stan? It was a popular destination for special occasions, but unfortunately I don't have a single lousy pic of that place.

One piece of the Coral Reef restaurant survived. The logo sign (which is also depicted on the napkins and postcard), now resides in the Bamboo Hut bar in San Francisco as part of the interior decor:

Oops. I see I repeated myself. I said the same thing in the thread that Buzzy posted the link to. You may want to talk to the owner of the Bamboo Hut. I believed he purchased the sign at a swapmeet in Sacramento.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-06-22 16:13 ]

Hi Bryan,

I am definitely interested in any info you have to share about the Coral Reef!

I have many happy memories of fun times spent there.

I feel really fortunate that I got to spend a lot of time there!

I have a modest collection of Coral Reef memorabilia and am always looking to add to it.

Welcome to Tiki Central...

Aloha.

The old Coral Reef mask, (the big one), is down in the Camboo Hut in San Francisco. A great new home for an old friend.

[ Edited by: metikiman1705 2009-06-24 03:08 ]

I'd love to hear about the Coral Reef. I'm in the Sacramento area and it just kills me that they tore it down so recently. No tiki here now! I collect Sacramento tiki stuff and would love whatever you would like to pass on!

I thought that Bamboo Hut mask looked familiar! I'm so glad something got salvaged and ensconced in another tiki establishment, even if it is out of Sactown!

Looking forward to Coral Reef stories from everyone!

:drink:
Tacky

I found these little ceramic masks that had Coral Reef Sacramento CA printed on the back. I have always wondered if The Coral Reef had a gift shop or sold items at the register. I don't remember one from the times I went, does anyone else?

Thanks,

PTD

Pages: 1 8 replies