Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

WITCO Made in Canada and Info.

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

I thought I would do a new post for this as it's kind of different but let me know if I should move it.

Here's something I thought was pretty interesting.
Someone recently was saying that they thought Witco did not ship outside the US and that Witco was not available in Canada. Something along those lines but these were more just comments rather than purported truths. Probably tongue in cheek as they have yet to find any or it is very seldom seen.

Well, Witco seems to be alive and well in Canada!! Not only did Witco Import alot of Cedar from up here, they also had a factory here making Witco products. I believe this was mentioned before. Something about small gift items only.

It looks like wall art and furniture was made here as well!! And not just any furniture, the good stuff!!

I thought this was especially cool as the warehouse/factory that produced these items was only 35 minutes from my house!!!

Looks like Chilliwack BC, was the Witco capital of Canada!!! It's only about 15 or so minutes from the Washington State border as well!!

Here is a piece of Witco furniture that was made here in BC, Canada:

Here's how we know, the original label still on the bottom:

"Witco Products Ltd. Box 67 Chilliwack, B.C."

A friend of mine purchased several different pieces from one source and all are said to have come from the Chilliwack location. Also included is the famous Witco 'Mainlander' style Fountain as well as a large wall carving and a couple of benches.

I guess the an interesting thing to look into would be do you think that the pieces were made here or actually imported from Washington and then sold up here? Maybe they had a showroom here as well?
The benches for sure were made here as it has the Canadian New Material Standard label on the bottom which was mandatory for furniture. I guess if they were making the benches here, why not fountains and other art? Hmm...I guess it really doesn't matter. Just curious.

I am still trying to find out more about the pieces but please add any info. if you think you have any. I just thought a few others would be interested in this as well.

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-06-28 13:04 ]

I want a Mainlander fountain but don't want to pay $1500. for one .

I've found a few Witco pieces up here in Calgary. The outrigger and a kitchen utensil artwork. I've no idea where they were originally created, but I've found them here.

well , that tears the veil of mystery!
now why is it that most Canadians cant find any ?
is it a difference in decore tastes?
Alberta is close to B.C yes and though Calgary apparently has seen a couple pieces I have yet to ....
keep searchin I guess!

The only Witco pieces I've seen in Edmonton are in this little shoe repair shop in the bottom of my friend's old apartment building. There's a shelf, the big scimitar sword and maybe something else. They're not for sale - I've asked! I've never been in when the original owner was there to ask him about them. If you want to investigate further, Tikiville, the place is at the bottom of City Square Tower on 103 Ave and 100 St, pretty much directly across from the CN building. With your luck, you'll probably show up just as they happen to be closing down and throwing the Witco in the dumpster...

Never say never!...imagine if I learned a second language! Lol

i just came from the house where this fantastic find is displayed the fountain is fantastic i didnt know they were so tall standing almost 7 feet definetly makes the room, i knew of a small place in deroche near chilliwack that had witco displayed, it a the time was opperating as a flea market there was a spanish them to it knight viking ship and also medallion that was on the back wall 8 ft round. these tiki pieces found are the first of this caliber ive seen on the open market in b.c i have seen alot of the spanish style witco pop up plus a witco dining room suite that surfaced through a friend that ran a trailer park 7 yrs ago very cool and archaic, i will contact him in manitoba a see if pics of the set can be emailed to me i personally just purchased a case or cabinet done in the same style cedar as witco, but its been turned into a reptile cage, and work will have to be done to restore it to something appealing to the eye, the set couldnt have been found by a more deserving collector it really know is the anchor to an even greater collection

A

Hello everyone, I'm a decade long lurker and first time poster. Being a Tiki Central member is one of my this years resolution and I finally did it.
I just found this piece at the thrift store last week, first I thought it was just a Witco-like since it looked like a dog and stamped on the bottom "MADE IN CANADA"
Any thought?
Well I apologize if I post this at wrong place.

Pages: 1 7 replies