Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

White House throws Luau

Pages: 1 31 replies

Luau at the White House

"President Obama is breaking with tradition, well at least a picnic tradition. On Thursday, Obama will become the first President to host what is being called "the first-ever White House Luau" for the event traditionally known as the Congressional picnic..."

"...it's going to be an ‘ohana' style affair. The menu was created by an award winning chef from Honolulu, Alan Wong, and the entertainment will feature musicians and dancers from Hawaii (Tihati Productions) performing "traditional song and dance", which to most Americans means - the Hula!"

He really needs a TIKI ROOM at the White House.

I'd build it for free, for the people!

He needs his own tiki mug!

Obviously a ploy to win over the MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Tiki fans that control the world economy!, cant you see this people ?
Oh sure he'll get us all on his side and then BAM!
the price of clay and bamboo and pinapple will skyrocket!
leaving us torn between our friendship with him,the good of the country and the insatiable greed for layering mug upon mug in an animal like hunger!
we're on to you pal!
and where is the invite post on this here forum?

He'll probably pardon a pig.

M

On 2009-06-25 12:04, Unga Bunga wrote:
He'll probably pardon a pig.

That was funny.

I am a little pissed that I was not invited :(

LT

On 2009-06-25 10:17, Tiki Kupcake wrote:
He needs his own tiki mug!

Place the Presidential Seal on the back and you're set...

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 22:47 ]

T

It's a shame that the Politiki is closed, they could have made a great mug with two nice big handles/ears

My friends-parents company in Hawaii is doing the honors of performing for the president. Apparently they are being treated VERY well, flew them in first class and everything!

On 2009-06-25 19:46, Atomicchick wrote:
"My friends-parents company in Hawaii is doing the honors of performing for the president..."

Tihati Productions?

Some people will do anything to get a decent lei.

On 2009-06-25 19:27, TikiPhil wrote:
It's a shame that the Politiki is closed, they could have made a great mug with two nice big handles/ears

A

Am I the only one who's surprised that there's NEVER been a luau at the White House before? That just seems like something that would have been done during the Eisenhower years.

On 2009-06-26 07:19, The Gnomon wrote:
Some people will do anything to get a decent lei.

JF Kennedy did.

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 22:50 ]

P

I'm also pissed that Spermy wasn't invited.

He ROCKS!

S

On 2009-06-26 13:38, arriano wrote:
Am I the only one who's surprised that there's NEVER been a luau at the White House before? That just seems like something that would have been done during the Eisenhower years.

Or Nixon.

M

How great is this picture?

From the videos I've seen of the event, it looked kind of boring.

T

G

On 2009-06-27 10:09, martiki wrote:
How great is this picture?

Meh. No tikis. And if you zoom way, way in, it's all Bacardi and Coke. And styrofoam cups. But... it's a start.

Is that a 'Margaritaville' flourescent koozie on the table?!?!? (just kidding, but it wouldn't surprise me).

O

Yes, a good start. Hail to the Tiki Chief!

W

Why Bother to build it for free?

I am sure that our "illustrious president" could get you in line for about 1.5 billion in stimulus pork to do the job. .

I wonder if there ever was a consideration to name that hut a "Tiki Bar", and if it was shot down because of political correct/ incorrect diceyness...we will never know. I am certain that this event was meant to be as un-political as possible. Was the Hawaiian statehood anniversary ever mentioned?

Whatever, that hut sure looks great in front of the White House! :)

I'd love to see more pictures!

On 2009-06-26 11:03, PiPhiRho wrote:

Oh no you didn't! Now we know why they knocked over so many.

Blasphemy!

On 2009-06-25 19:46, Atomicchick wrote:
My friends-parents company in Hawaii is doing the honors of performing for the president. Apparently they are being treated VERY well, flew them in first class and everything!

What a wise use of taxpayer dollars! Why not at least do something that would benefit the GAP like give stimulus funds to the remaining few real tiki bars to ensure they stay viable. Of course they would screw that up by appointing a special presidential "Tiki Czar" who was really an ex-Bacardi rep. Callme Angostura cause now I'm bitter.

M

Hail to the Ali'i (Chief)...

RB

Pages: 1 31 replies