Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Confirmation Signature

Pages: 1 18 replies

I'd like to suggest that members request a signature confirmation from the seller with all expensive items purchased on any auction site. I recently had three separate packages delivered, left on my doorstep, by the postal service. Someone, apparently, decided to "liberate" the contents of each package leaving behind the empty boxes as a token of their appreciation. I plan on filing a claim but am not sure what, if any, delivery policy had been violated. Typically the delivery person leaves an "attempted delivery notice" vs. just leaving a package with no one at home.

good advice kc. that really sucks! i didn't think things like that happened in your neck of the woods. i was a mailman for 25 years and i porched every package if nobody was home without ever getting a complaint about missing items. and that neighborhood is nuttin' like yours!

AT

Are you actually in Kohala?

T

That sucks! Nothing pisses me off more than thieves. I find it so low and pathetic. My car keeps getting broken into and the content they take are minimal compared to the damage they cause trying to break in. It always looks like animals went through my stuff. And yes, I have a car alarm and nothing expensive in my car - the police thinks it's a junkie. I've also had mail stolen but it was the whole neighborhood. That eventually stopped - might have been the USPS Inspection Service. They suggested everyone put locks on the mail boxes.

I don't know what people outside the Tiki Central community would care much about Tiki items but a thief takes anything for free I guess. If I were a thief though, I would take the whole package. Leaving the package behind only means that you can't blame the Post Office since there is proof it was delivered. It becomes your word versus theirs. I would call the Postal Inspection Service who are actually very vigilant people. There might be more complaints against your carrier which would allow an investigation to open up and maybe even retrieve your items. For the time being you probably have to get a P.O. Box or get it delivered to your work. I know at least with FedEx you can have a standing request on your particular address (i.e. always pick up, always sign for it). UPS is more difficult since they treat each package individually and you can't have a permanent request on your address. I kind of dislike UPS for that reason. So maybe just demand FedEx for your purchases and tell FedEx that you have to sign for every package coming to your house regardless. FedEx will make that happen.

Good luck.

S

I am able to ship things to my work. I don't do it often, because that would get to be an issue. But, when I fear it being left on the porch, I send it here to work.

when i moved into the city in 93' first thing i did was get a postal box at one of those mail boxes etc. stores..(now called ups stores)....i changed apartments often as most do in the city...but i always kept my mailbox even though i moved about 10 times within the same area....i never had mail deliverd to my apartment...or magazines or boxes....never trusted anyone to not steal them if i wasn't home...by paying a small fee i was able to get my mail anytime, even after business hours (they give you a key)...packages had to be picked up during business hours and i could always ship out stuff for ebay from the same location....they accept fed ex, ups, postal service or whatever...it's the best investment for anyone that is afraid of having stuff ripped off outside your door....plus, since i was using my mailbox address exclusively, no one knew my real address...so any t.c. members wanting to kick my ass were left standing in a parking lot scratching their heads!!

..also, that the thief actually took the time to open the packages on your doorstep makes it look like he/she may have known no one was home and didn't fear being caught..usually if someone boosts a box from a doorstep they take the whole thing and run like hell...this person may have known what was in the box...let's face it, any thief that opens a box and finds a tiki in it (i'm assuming it was tiki collectables that were in the boxes?)as opposed to an ipod or something electronic or something they could pawn is gonna leave the tiki and box on the step and run like hell...something just doesn't add up here.

Hello to one of my favorite tiki buddies. What a horrible story. When Gecko ships to us we have him ship on Saturday and we stay home on Wednesday until our package arrives. You just confirmed that it's worthwhile to give up our day off to receive our package. He always uses FedEx, we like the US post office better, they just leave a pick up slip. See you soon, Wendy and Dan

Hey there KC,

I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune that really sucks. If I am ordering something that I am concerned about, I have it delivered to my work office. I am not sure if this is an option for you. Regardless, my heart goes out to you because I know you don't buy the junky stuff. :)

Hope all is well in your world.

-CMC

I've had it happen too. Not much can be done w/out a signature & I was still out the mug.

T

Technically my neighborhood is not so great but I have never had a single package stolen. I guess your real question was what to do. It should become apparent what was stolen and I would file a claim for sure. Then I would look into a place where your packages can be delivered anytime and you can pick them up. Work could be an option too? Signature confirmation does not always work as a lot of my packages are on the porch with the delivery confirmation bar code.

Sorry for the loss I'm sure it was some really nice things!

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2009-06-30 16:50 ]

On 2009-06-30 16:48, Tikisgrl wrote:
? Signature confirmation does not always work as a lot of my packages are on the porch with the delivery confirmation bar code.

delivery confirmation (delcon in postalese) is not the same as signature confirmation (sigcon). no signature is needed for a delcon.

T

On 2009-06-30 16:54, kingstiedye wrote:

On 2009-06-30 16:48, Tikisgrl wrote:
? Signature confirmation does not always work as a lot of my packages are on the porch with the delivery confirmation bar code.

delivery confirmation (delcon in postalese) is not the same as signature confirmation (sigcon). no signature is needed for a delcon.

That explains a lot! I guess confirming the post offices rules is probably a good start on an easy fix?

V

Sorry to hear about the pilfered packages! Wanted to chime in that PayPal requires signature confirmation on all packages worth more than $100 in order for the seller to qualify for "seller protection". I never ship $$ stuff without it!

T

I feel your pain... I had my handpainted 11 foot surfboard stolen from my car that was sitting in front of my house at the end of last summer. More than the loss of the board, I was so upset because some schmuck walked off with something that they will never appreciate half as much as I did. I got a lock for my boards now!

Is there an option to just pick up a package at your local Post office, so that it doesn't have to truck around the Postal truck all day? Maybe Bullet would have the inside scoop.

That's horrible news kc, :( and incredible that they gutted the boxes on your doorstep too...unbelievable!! KTD speaks from experience and I can echo what others have eluded to, that I've had $$$$ packages dropped on my stoop because they were delcon...craaazy but there in lies the misunderstanding by some folks - delcon vs signature required. Mahalo'z for alerting and advising others!

Back to the outrageous act of theft upon your doorstep... amazing that someone could be so bold and arrogant to do this...understanding that your package placement is far, high and away from view, as well as, nowhere near the sidewalk or roadway for snatch-n-grab. My heart sinks with the thought of your loss, the provenance and historical value alone...I can't imagine a "tiki burglar" on the loose, educated in intrinsic value...let alone fair market price or book value.

I on the other hand have a clear view of my doorway...50 ft from the sidewalk/ street and my home backs to a County Park and Elementary School...alot of foot traffic and young kids. Incredible that nothing more than a rose bush being mangled and soda cans/ juicy juice boxes tossed in my yard.

Anyways, I'm blown away more by "how" the items were stolen and what kind of thief would bother to take such chances... especially with the "unknown origins" and value of the items. Grrrrrrr!!! :x

double post

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2009-07-02 19:06 ]

you can say that again, jonesEy!
the only foolproof method is to have a p.o. box or make sure every package sent your way has sigcom (i'd think this would be difficult).

I just found this post KC, that is terrible news my friend! After reading about how the items were stolen, it occured to me that it could be someone who knows what was in the boxes. Someone that collects Tiki's or maybe even the seller of the first item that was stolen. If you think about it, they know your address, they know whats in the box and they can track it. Did you buy from someone recently who lived locally? Just trying to help solve the mystery....good luck.

Pages: 1 18 replies