Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Long Awaited Mug Release Party at Thatch, Portland

Pages: 1 22 replies

no.... so sorry, we will not ship one of these Tiki Farm beauties to you, you have to come on in.

Mug release party, Wednesday, July 1, 2009. Mug sales begin at 4pm
Band, "Walking in Alaska" starts at 8pm
Best tiki outfit contest at 9pm.

Special Thanks to Holden for his awesome help with these.

Robertiki
Thatch Tiki Bar
http://www.facebook.com/thatchtikibar
twitter@thatchtikibar

By the way, this is from one of the three carvings purchased from the old "Jasmine Tree" which was also from the old Kon Tiki in the Portland's Lloyd Center Sheraton.

Here is a photo of it while it was still at the Jasmine Tree:

C

Arrrrgh. I was at both Thatch and Alibi last week while visiting my ex-in-laws in Gresham. Asked about mugs at both places. Both said they used to have something years ago but had no idea if they ever would again. Missed it by a week. Bummer.

RB

Very cool, Robert! See you this afternoon. (I think I'll be changing my mug now on my Tiki Central autosignature :))

Hey man, sorry you got some wrong info, We haven't had these "Years ago" since we only been open for 2 years. Also, I am about 99% sure that the Alibi never had a tiki mug. I have been asking around for years and no one has ever seen one. If anyone has even seen an Alibi mug, please let me know.
Robert

got my pair @ 4:30 today! WOW!! are they ever awesome!

K
KeithH posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 7:43 PM

Got mine today also. My wife was going to join me but she got stuck at work. :(

Mug rocks. And the drink... yummy!

[ Edited by: keithh 2009-07-01 20:14 ]

C

On 2009-07-01 10:29, Robertiki wrote:
Hey man, sorry you got some wrong info, We haven't had these "Years ago" since we only been open for 2 years. Also, I am about 99% sure that the Alibi never had a tiki mug. I have been asking around for years and no one has ever seen one. If anyone has even seen an Alibi mug, please let me know.
Robert

No worries. The servers at both establishments were totally excellent and very friendly, but they didn't seem like hard core tikiphiles or urban archeologists. They gave me the best answers they could.

I was mainly interested in seeing Thatch, because my late wife worked at the Sheraton Kon Tiki throughout her college years. I took my ex-laws there and they pointed out the tikis that used to be at Susan's workplace.

I was the first one there, today! Got my mug and won the tiki outfit contest! YAY!

RB

I was the second person to buy a mug yesterday, and so as first runner-up, I will stand ready to assume the duties of First Mug Buyer if she for any reason becomes unable to fulfill her responsibilities. :wink:

lol You must have been the guy sitting at the bar. If I had known I would have invited you over to the table. However, maybe you wouldn't have wanted to sit with us. Robert labeled my group of friends and I as misfits and asked us to move to the back tiki hut. Maybe that was because we had taken over three tables and were clearly a party of more than 6 making us worthy of back tiki hut privileges. Damn, it sure was hot up there last night!

Those are awesome!

M

WOW! Did they sell out? I'm going at 4 p.m. today if not...

RB

TK, yes, I was sitting at the bar (with the straw hat). Your group was still sitting down below the hut when I left around 5:30, so the "fun" must've started after that!

:drink:

RB

To Merc Mag and anyone else wanting a mug:

My impression is that there's plenty o' mugs fer drinkin' and buyin'. The supply will run out at some point, but it won't happen right away. If you're coming to Tiki Kon in a month, the mugs more than likely will be around.

But if you're worried about missing out on this fantastic mug, I will be more than happy as "First Runner Up" (see earlier post in this thread) to order and drink a Marquesan Baby Eater for you and save the mug!

We got plenty of mugs for the next month or so, then next year, the middle baby eater will get made.
Robert

I was going to post a reply, but AceyTiki just finished making me a tiki cocktail and I must go drink it!

M

I would love to go to Tiki Kon but I don't drink alcohol, do you think it would still be worth going? As for the mug, I'll buy, you drink the booze and I'll keep the mug!

You can still have lots of fun at Tiki Kon even if you don't drink. You can also buy the mug at Thatch with out the drink in it for $5 cheaper.

I was in portland this weekend visiting my sister and bro in law and was able to enjoy the tasty Baby-Eater (among other things) and we each got a mug! After, we sobered up at Voodoo Donuts....
It was all so yummy....

M

Thanks Kupcake, that is encouraging. I may just have to go!

E
ebtiki posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 3:15 PM

Are there any TC'ers willing to pick up a mug & ship it to me? Drop me a PM.

Being stuck in N.Y. state, I sadly miss out on so many location-specific mugs ...

Mahalo!

T

Any news on the next mug in this series?

Pages: 1 22 replies