Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Vintage Alii Woods Monkey Pod Tiki, info sought

Pages: 1 10 replies

R

I found this vintage (I think) tiki at a tourist shop along I-95, in the complex of South of the Border. It was being used as a display and covered with dust. I made an offer to buy it on the spot, but was refused. Last fall, after the meltdown, I was going through there again, and he was still there. I made another offer to buy him and they accepted, and off I went with this fairly large and heavy tiki shoved in my already too full car. The workmanship on him is very fine. His entire head is covered in carefully grooved chisel marks. I call him "Chip" because he is missing a small chip on his brow. I felt it my absolute duty to rescue him from his life in bubba land. Now I'd like to know more about his manufacturer and provenance.

There is a 1.5 inch square silver sticker on his back the says "Alii WOODS Honolulu, GENUINE MONKEY POD" He is about 4-1/2 feet tall and very heavy. Stand by for some images of Chip.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2009-07-02 17:09 ]

Well, it' obviously a tourist Tiki, but a very unique one, never seen one like it. Could be from the 70s or 80s.

R

Here are a few more pictures of Chip, front, side, and three-quarter. First the three-quarter....

R

his side.....

R

Tiki butt...

T

This thing is way cool, great find.

Nice tiki. I think I would cover up Chip's chip... perhaps with a sea shell... might paint the shell the color of the wood, or something close, so that it doesn't dominate his face.

R

Thanks for the comments. Chip is my favorite, but don't tell my other tikis.
I might try and have a piece carved to cover his chip, though a seashell might make for an easy fix. Though the chip adds a bit of authenticity to him.

Here is the sticker on his back:

When doing a search for Alii Woods, I got this site:
http://www.hulagift.com
I'm not sure this is the same place that Chip originally came from, but the site says they have been in business since 1945. If so, could it be possible that he is old restaurant decor? His size and weight make it unlikely he was something you'd bring home on a plane. Anybody with anything similar from this company?

R

I'm hoping to bring Chip to the Hukilau if there is room left in the trailer........

That tiki has a killer hi-low fade...like Kid from Kid-n-Play. If this tiki isn't from the 80's, he would be damn popular in the 80's!

I have come across a few Alii Monkey pod wood salad sets and pu-pu platters in the past few years. Pretty typical stuff, the sticker is the best part!

Sputnik Housewares....Jetset Furnishings from the Atomic Age!

[ Edited by: sputnikmoss 2010-06-09 11:33 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies