Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotic Sounds of Tiki Gardens LP (help please!)

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hi. I hope it's not too lame of me to ask a favor on my first post but I'm desperately seeking MP3s of the Tiki Gardens LP for an article I'm taking part in and I'm hoping someone here could help me out with this.

This is the one Exotica LP I could never afford. I had a CD-R of the album for years but I've looked everywhere and apparently I've lost it!

I don't know if there is private messaging on this board so in the event that any of you can help me out I'll include my email address: will (@) showandtellmusic (dot) com

I'll do whatever I can to return the favor in some way.

Thanks so much. -Will

I should probably add that I'm a long-time Exotica fan and have spent years advocating this music through my vinyl sales and the old version of my website Show and Tell which had scans and reviews of many dozens of Exotica LPs. Also, I read through some old threads here and understand all the controversy over the Tiki Gardens record. It consistently fetches more money than any other title and MANY folks have a hard time understanding that. I think if it were a common LP, it'd be $15 like any other cool vanity label Exotica release. I love the album for its hometown warmth and have for years but I also understand the backlash!

http://www.showandtellmusic.com/music/a_few_of_my_favorite_records/

[ Edited by: showandtellmusic 2009-07-03 13:03 ]

Hi Will,

I'm a big fan of your site. I've had your site (and your eBay seller page) bookmarked for many years. It's helped me identify a couple rare Outsider Artist lps when I've been garage-saling.

I just checked, and I've got the tracks from the Tiki Gardens album as .wma files. I'll try converting them to .mp3s later today (or I can leave them as .wma if you prefer). Then I'll upload them via Rapidshare or Mediafire and post the link here.

Sabu

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jul 5, 2009 3:24 PM

I was part of that controversy. :wink:

I have the hi-res sound and image files. Not on a machine I have immediate access to. If you can wait a little, I can get it to you this week. I think the files are still on my server somewhere.

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jul 5, 2009 3:24 PM

I was part of that controversy. :wink:

I have the hi-res sound and image files. Not on a machine I have immediate access to. If you can wait a little, I can get it to you this week. I think the files are still on my server somewhere.

Here's a link to the a full set of the mp3's.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=657d78a657605a3b6b21be4093fab7ace04e75f6e8ebb871

I ripped these from my CD, which in turn was made from a very clean copy of the original vinyl by someone here on TC. In ripping from the CD, 2 seconds of silence have been added to the end of each track. You may want to trim this off if you want the tracks to flow seamlessly one into the other as the do on the lp.

Will - I would take Swanky up on his offer if you want the original mp3s and hi-res artwork. Here is a link to the low-res artwork and track list:
http://www.swankpad.org/tiki/tikigardens/tikigardens.htm

I think these mp3s deserve to be heard and shared with the newer members. They give a unique window into the history of Tiki Gardens and the chance to relive the dinner-show there, an opportunity not available to us anymore. Also, Track 15 (and reprised again in Track 19)gives us an appealing, original Exotica tune called the "Tiki Gardens Polynesian Fantasy Theme", which is definitely worth hearing.

There was a big controversy about these mp3s back in 2002. If anyone wants to delve into it, you'll have to use the search function and dig up the old posts. It wasn't real pretty.

In any case, if folks want to download the mp3s in the link above, PLEASE do not attempt to profit from them. That's part of what caused the controversy in the first place. The relatives of Ernie Shreeves (the man playing the Wurlitzer organ and who wrote the Tiki Gardens Theme), promised to release limited edition, signed CDs back in 2002, but it's been 7 years and that still hasn't happened:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1418&forum=11

I think it's time to share the mp3s again so that they don't disappear into obscurity. Maybe if enough interest is generated again, Ernie Shreeves and his family might be persuaded to release an actual CD of the Tiki Gardens lp.

Sabu

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jul 6, 2009 9:31 AM

Original stuff sent via PM. For those who want it, the page is still there. Just add an x to the page name. Nuff said. Keep it in the family please.

V
virani posted on Mon, Jul 6, 2009 9:42 AM

thanks Swanky and Sabu. I also was very interested in getting it.

O

Had a pristine copy of this LP. I unloaded it to help pay for surgery for my cat after an accident.

The cat doesn't appear to be overly grateful. :wink:

Awesome. Thank you SO much. I needed to double check a line I remember about the "Tereeakee steak dinners" they offered (or something to that affect, It's priceless). And of course, I also just wanted to have a copy of this again to listen to!

I really appreciate the link, pics and kind words about my site.

Please let me know if theres any way I can return the favor.

See ya. -Will

Oh, also, my apologies for the delay in response here, I've been out of town.

-Will

M

Any chance we can get an upload, with loads of please and thanx?!

Splurge for the view master reels and skip the LP. Trust me.

R
Rawim posted on Wed, Dec 14, 2011 4:21 PM

I too would love to hear these tracks.

M
MrFab posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2012 3:53 PM

Thanks MrFab!

Wow, that is great! What a time capsule. Thanks for making it available. The sound quality is excellent!

Is it just me or does the narrator sound like George W Bush? :lol:

I'm new to this but can anybody out there make me a CD-R or MP3 of the Exotic Tiki Gardens lp ? It's just one of them things I have tons of exotica to trade if that would work too. Tiki Tony Pittsburgh.

I'm new to this but can anybody out there make me a CD-R or MP3 of the Exotic Tiki Gardens lp ? It's just one of them things I have tons of exotica to trade if that would work too. Tiki Tony Pittsburgh.

S

On 2012-01-26 15:53, MrFab wrote:
Your wish is my command!

http://musicformaniacs.blogspot.com/2012/01/exotic-sounds-of-tiki-gardens.html

So you took the mp3s that I have and put them on your site? If I gave them to you, it was with the promise to keep it private. The owners heirs asked me to remove them from the public as they owned the rights, and I did remove them.

Please take them offline.

Like Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure the book

[ Edited by: Swanky 2015-12-28 06:32 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies