Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dartin Menny

Pages: 1 10 replies

TM

Great clip of Dartin Menny from exotiki and big sandy, demonstrating upright bass slap technique!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2UYtbEd7E&feature=channel

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-07-06 09:26 ]

Dartin,
when is Exotiki playing again?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

How embarrassing :oops: But, thanks Lucas. Trust me, you have no idea how much your playing has influenced mine... we need to share 20's/30's/40's jazz/western swing licks... I'm starting to brush up on them for my next project. Thumb position, here I come. :wink:

BTD... Exotiki should be playing soon. Hopefully in August. I need to get in touch with the boys...

TM

Embarrassing? I don't even know HOW you are doing those triple slaps....it's mind boggling! Your playing is very smooth and effortless.....

Yeah, I need an exotiki fix so please post here!!!

PS, Looks like you are going to get to give me a surf lesson after all! (Just kidding....I would never attempt old man's!)

• lucas vigor wrote:*
    PS, Looks like you are going to get to give me a surf lesson after all! (Just kidding....I would never attempt old man's!)

hahaha... It's named Old Man's for a reason! Easiest wave to surf in the world (besides all of the beginners out there :wink: ).... I'm getting you out there!

Dartin is quite a musician, that's fer sure. I will never forget banging on acoustics with him & another accomplished musician one night, trying to figure out some old tunes on the spot. Dartin had every tune figured out before we even got started.

S

Agreed those those drag triplets are cool!!!!

Id like to think my alchol consumption has influenced Dartin in some way!!!

T

Wow....nice work ! Those triples are crazy....

I need to come check out a Big Sandy gig.

TM

They just played last week for free at the Redwood Grill. The Redwood is a classic old vintage bar in downtown LA, with a nautical theme. Very dark inside. Very cool! No, not tiki but the next best thing!

Tiki-A-Fair used to post here about those rockabilly brunches, but gave up due to the fact that no tiki central people ever showed up.

I say Rockabilly, but in fact, there was a lot of vintage country and western swing bands that played there and still do. They only get great groups to play at that place.

Dartin, if you are playing again over there with Big Sandy, (Or anyone else) please post about it. Jim, if you are up for it we can all head down there some sunday and have a good time!

No more Big Sandy for me. Jeff, their bassist for the past 10 years was out having surgery, that's why I was playing with them... filling in for the past 9 months!!! :shock:

So, for now, I'm a gun for hire again.

Playing the Redwood Bar tomorrow afternoon (July 12th) with Captain Jeffery and the Chumbuckets (www.myspace.com/thechumbuckets). They are amazingly talented young guys who tear up old Western Swing and 30's/40's Jazz/Blues.

I miss seeing the posts about who is playing at the Redwood.
I would usually go once a month.
very cool place.

Hope you find a new band Dartin,
but please use this as a good time, to get more Exotiki gigs happening.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 10 replies