Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Sam's Seafood Souvenir Menu ca.50s/60s ENDS IN 1 HOUR!

Pages: 1 11 replies

TS

6 page (8, if you include front and rear cover) "Souvenir" Sam's Seafood Menu featuring your hosts; Nick, Ruth and Richard Katsaris.

It is in remarkable condition, considering its age.
very light corner folds, slight yellowing from age. A time when you could get a lobster dinner for under $5.00, draft beer was 40ยข, a scorpion bowl for 4 was only $4.75, and finally the phone numbers start with letters, in Surfside, CA! Pages are crisp, as are the graphics. 9"long by 6" wide closed. Link to be posted.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-08-13 09:15 ]

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-08-05 20:12 ]

L

Ya know Tom...this guy would be a lot cooler if he WAS sporting a do-rag!

Good luck on the auction!

TS

Hah, yea Liz, doo-raggin it, and hes in "Gangsta Green"...
Auction closes in a couple hours, and I'm pleasantly surprised!

Shag Mondo Tiki Mug SOLD!

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-08-05 20:13 ]

TS

New auction edited over old auction.
First post is current.
I have a vintage 1950s-1960s Sam's Seafood menu up for sale. I bought it for a fairly good chunk of dough a few years back, and now looking to break even on it. I will start the auction out at what I paid for it, and see if there are any takers. Like all of my tiki collection, I hate to see it go, but paper money is much more needed than paper history at this time. It is a wonderful little menu, for those into the Original Sam's Seafood memorabilia, and a pretty elusive piece at that. Link to be added as I finish setting it up on ebay. Thanks!

Hi Tom, what no link!

Have not seen any Sam's menu as described .

TS
TS

It has "souvenir menu" printed on it, but I'm sure it is related to a hospitality gimmick. It is really in the style of a "take-out" menu, although the food offered is for full sitdown meals, and has 6 pages. They probably made this menu for different reasons, is my guess.

One could be for the simple reason that the owners didn't want people leaving the restaurant with a full sized restaurant menu, and by offering a small paper menu, could detur theft.

Two, it serves as a hospitality piece, saying you've been there, almost like a free bumper sticker. These could have been located inside the fish market section and souvenir shop, to showcase the restaurant's specialties and featured items.

Three, it also served as advertising when it is left at someones house, and someone else who's never been to Sam's, stumbles upon it. It potentially opens conversation about how the place was, and probably worked as a possible paper referral.

All of these are speculation on my part, but are the only things that really make any sense. The menu is old and original, not a reproduction. I've sold a few 1940s-1950's menus, and everything this menu has, seems genuine. Aside from the fact if it were a reproduction, I would have seen more in the wild. This is the first and only one I've seen in 4+ years keeping Sam's Seafood on reminder notice on ebay.
Thanks for the questions, and hope it helped!

TS

Halfway through this auction. So who's going to be the first to bid? haha, I got 11 watchers with no bids. Don't miss out on this rare opportunity.

TS

Last call on this menu....Less than 22 hours to go...Thanks for looking and good luck, should you bid!

TS

The witching hour...One Hour left on this menu, good luck!

Pages: 1 11 replies