Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Shipwreck tiki Lounge at Sand by the Ton bash Oakland July 11-free afternoon tour 4 tiki crawlers

Pages: 1 5 replies

Never seen before outside of Burning Man. The infamous Shipwreck tiki Lounge will be set up in full glory (along with a huge warehouse full of other Burning Man artists) at Oaklands American Steel at Mandela and West Grand on Sat July 11th. The "Sand by the Ton" party is expecting to have 5000 attendees so it will be quite an unveiling. Built around an actual salvaged wooden sailboat, the Shipwreck tiki Lounge boasts dozens of home made flaming head tikis and on Saturday will be busting out never before seen vintage tikis by Bobby Bumatai, tiki Joe and a recently aquired 1930's Trader Vics reed boat!

Check out our website shipwrecktikilounge.com or better yet contact me tikitom at [email protected] for more details.

For many years we are the only group representing tiki culture at the Burning Man festival. Come and see who we are (and maybe even join us).

Note to tiki crawlers- American Steel is at 1960 Mandela Parkway at Grand, Oakland. About 1/2 mile from Trader Vics. Any crawler that wants a free quickie tour should go to the south entrance, find bay 8 and you'll find me tikitom. The party starts at 4:00 so the earlier the better before the security perimeter gets set up. Anyway happy crawl!

[ Edited by: tikitikitom 2009-07-07 07:03 ]

[ Edited by: tikitikitom 2009-07-08 22:34 ]

WOW!!! Wish I could be at that event to see all.

M

The boat looks great. Too bad you choose to do this on the SF Tiki Crawl Weekend!

Unfortunately I had nothing to do with choosing the date. Tell you what, any tiki crawlers that come to the south entrance of American Steel at 1960 Mandela Parkway, Oakland, in the afternoon, (party starts at 4:00) go to bay 8, find me tikitom and I'll give you a quickie tour.

should have called it "CONFUSION BY THE TON"
people in line at 4pm still were waiting at 6pm

Yea you're right, the gate was a mess all night. It was the first party for American Steel so the learning curve is painful. To all crawlers who missed us (only 2 made it): the Shipwreck tiki Lounge is permanently moored at American Steel so if they have any more events I'll let you all know. For the record the Shipwreck tiki Lounge never looked better and many blogs are calling Sand by the Ton the best burner bash in years.

Pages: 1 5 replies