Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: The Rongo Bowl

Pages: 1 3 replies

I haven't run across this drink here on TC yet so I thought that I would pass it along. The Rongo Bowl Cocktail was created by Craig Hermann of coloneltiki.com last year to celebrate the 45th anniversary of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room. The Rongo Bowl has become a favorite of the Mrs & I here at our home bar in Cincinnati, it's a very balanced cocktail that's brimming with flavour and depth. I prefer it over other bowl drinks that I have made, such as the Scorpion Bowl. Here's the recipe and a link to Craig's post over at Colonel Tiki:

http://www.coloneltiki.com/2008/09/07/the-rongo-bowl

The Rongo Bowl

Rongo Bowl
¾ oz orange blossom honey (I used clover honey-it's all I had)
¾ oz fresh lime juice
¾ oz fresh orange juice
¾ oz fresh white grapefruit juice
2 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
2 oz Dark Jamaican Rum (I used Coruba)
1 oz Demerara (I used El Dorado 5yr)
1 oz Virgin Islands gold (I used Gosling's Gold Rum)
¼ oz orgeat
¼ oz passion fruit syrup
10 drops Absinthe (about 1/8th teaspoon)
3 dashes Fees Bros. old fashioned bitters

Heat honey to liquid and combine with all ingredients in mixing container. Fill Rongo bowl with crushed ice and pour into bowl. Stir with swizzle to cool and dilute. Garnish and serve.

Has anyone else tried this delicious recipe?

Cheers!

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2009-07-07 12:12 ]

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-04-22 19:25 ]

H

Looks good. Thanks for the heads up! I'll be drinking this soon.

It's Tiki Friday here at Chez Craig's in Cincinnati. The Mrs & I are enjoying individual Rongo Bowls as I write this post. I changed it up a bit, and added Angostura Orange Bitters & Fee Bros Grapefruit Bitters to the Rongo Bowl along with the prescribed Fee Bros Aromatic Bitters, and floated a little Cruzan Blackstrap Navy Rum on top. Absolute fraking tiki-deliciousness!!!!

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2009-07-10 23:36 ]

M

Angostura Orange and Grapefruit are a great addition to the drink (especially if you have sub-optimal citrus as we do now in the summer months)

I have about 2 pints of Grapefruit Tincture I made from the last of the season Oroblanco grapefruits that is just waiting to be made into grapefruit bitters.

Pages: 1 3 replies