Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

ebay ....wren clarks bar!

Pages: 1 45 replies

Dont know how to make a link but check this out on Ebay...
It's apparently WREN CLARKs bar and a couple statues!
the listing is titled
TIKI ROOM HAWAIIAN ISLAND DECOR STATUE HUT BAR BAMBOO
great to see even if you have no money or are nowhere near Fort Worth Texas.
( of coarse not my listing )

Item # ????

Got Unga thanks--and WOW !!!

Wow. This looks legitimate. I'm saving the photos here for posterity:

The Ebay Text :down:

*This is a collection of bar, den items from Wren Clark, a Fort Worth well known architect from the 1950's-60's. He designed the Western Hills Hotel in the Ridglea Area of Fort Worth.

FOR SALE: PROTOTYPE TRADER VIC BAR. HOMEOWNER REMODELING ROOM. SALE INCLUDES 10 FOOT THATCH ROOF BAR WITH 4 MATCHING BAR STOOLS. BAR IS BACK LIT WITH RED NEON AND HAS STORAGE SPACES FOR GLASSES. TWO BAMBOO STRAIGHT CHAIRS AND TWO SWIVEL BAMBOO CHAIRS. ONE TIKI 5 ½ FEET TALL BY 2 FEET IN DIA., ONE TIKI 3 FEET BY 1 FOOT, AND A TIKI 2 FEET TALL BY 8 INCHES ACROSS. TWO JAPANESE ORKS 1 FOOT DIA. (GLASS, 1 RED AND 1 BLUE). TWO BLOW FISH 12 INCHES AND 8 INCHES. ONE BAMBOO BREAD RACK WITH GLASS SHELVES, 6 FEET TALL, 28 INCHES WIDE, AND 14 INCHES DEEP. LOCATED IN FORT WORTH, TEXAS. OWNER WILL REMOVE . BUYER RESPONSIBLE FOR PICK UP AND DELIVERY.*

That darker tiki is definitely the Ren Clark' Polynesian Village logo Tiki (they spelled "Ren" wrong, but that's a fairly unusual name, shared by a cartoon chihuahua and few others, so we can forgive them). That bar is an old-school bar of the type you see on old linen postcards. The wiring on that red fish-float lamp looks ancient too.

Whoever wins this auction and goes to collect the items, should also ask if they can salvage that bamboo ceiling and all the old tight-pattern lahala matting. Oh - and contact the owner via the estate liquidators to get as much historical info as possible. This definitely looks like the eBay find of the year.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-07 12:42 ]

Wish I was in Fort Worth, Texas. That is a pretty darn good deal considering it's pedigree.

M

Who loves ya, eBay-bee?

I get and answer about the number of chairs and stools and then not four minutes later...poof. s in, now you don't, el gone-a-ree-no.

Forget about it, midnite...it's Texas.

I wanted that bar. $1200 for all that? Bah ha ha ha.

midnite

Yep, Midnight, no Buy-it-now offered earlier, just the $999 starting price. But someone made a $1200 offer and the seller bit! Great news for the buyer - bad for the seller. It would have gone for higher than $1200. Hope this canny buyer is on TC and posts pictures of his/her score.

As an ebay seller - the number one rule is NEVER take a Buy-it-Now offer from a buyer. It usually means interest in your item is HUGE and you'd get at least double what is offered if you only hang in there till the end of the auction.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-07 13:07 ]

T

Glad to see I wasn't outta my mind thinkin this was interesting ,
and I cant believe the seller took an offer only 200 over the asking price!
of coarse he had to be desperate to sell this in the first place right ?

Or thought it was all quaint junk in the way of his remodel that he didn't hope he would get $999 for in the first place. If he would have checked closed eBay auctions, he would have seen that individual mugs are going for $1200 nowadays.

Well. That was about the most exciting 2 hours of my week.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-07 13:55 ]

L

man!

i am glad you saved the pics on this one

some people have all the luck and score stuff for cheap . right place right time!

T

wonder if the seller has more photos of the haul he can send out to folks what dig that stuff!

looks like the seller probably had to get that stuff out soon...probably selling the house or maybe he bought the house and doesn't want the tiki stuff....whoever won this will probably have their pick of the remaining bamboo and stuff....i just think it's cool someone had a home bar like this in texas that was clearly from back in the day...this place must have looked awesome back then in it's full glory...the seller probably could have got $999 for the dark tiki alone !....wonder how kohalacharms is gonna get all that stuff out of there??

That's not KC that bought this, I tried and missed by about 15 minutes or so.

I'm guessing that this is Ren Clark's original house, since we know he lived in Fort Worth. The true test would be to see if this house also contains the room he built with the stage which reportedly had 100 seats for guests viewing his private magic shows (he was a famous magician as well).

Perhaps the current owner bought the house, knowing the history, or is a member of the family. Maybe even thought the Tiki Bar room was cool at first. But according to the auction, is now remodeling the room. A shame to lose the original context. Hope the furnishings are going to a good home.

WHOAAA!

You said it, KC. The HISTORY, Man, The HISTORY!

According to Bosko, Milan Guanko would have carved that tiki.

(and the bar's pretty cool too)

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-07 15:27 ]

RAAAATS!

I was putting together a consortium of Texans to buy it together and split the loot (and thus keep this Texas treasure in Texas).

Please, shrewd buyer, if you're on TC, let us see the stuff in its new home!

B

This picture will be hanging behind the ren clarks home bar that I just bought. It is a picture of the full page add for the grand opening of the Zombie village along with two concept drawings done by Mrs Kent for the add. This bar is going to a good home with lots and lots of Tiki to keep it company. we will post pictures of the bar when it is finished

L

Congrats!

I am glad it went to one of "us"!

wow, remodeling...how sad...its just a little slice of Heaven!
hmmm....

T

was it me that gave ya the heads up ?!

bifcozz!

If you get to actually go into the house to pick this up, make sure you take lots of photos. Also, see if there is any truth to the owner's belief that this is a "Trader Vic's prototype bar." Could Ren Clark have obtained it from Vic's back in the pre-tiki days? Oh, and make sure you ask about the box of dead-stock severed-head mugs in the attic :wink: Congrats!

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-07 16:30 ]

B

No I had already asked the seller how much he would take to buy it now two hours before you posted. your post gave me a really bad case of heartburn thanks.

B

Sabu,
We will ask all the appropriate questions and take as many photos as we can and get back to y'all. the sellers sister bought Ren Clarks House and is wanting to remodel it.

T

On 2009-07-07 16:28, bifcozz wrote:
No I had already asked the seller how much he would take to buy it now two hours before you posted. your post gave me a really bad case of heartburn thanks.

I was back and forth on the decision to post news of the listing ( i hate it when ya find something and have to compete with all the bums that dont spend the time doing their own surfin lol),
but I figured that it was important enough that folks should see it .
CONGRATS! You've got one HELLUVA score there!
sorry if I caused you any unnecessary stress.

A FINE ACQUISITION!

Welcome Home, bifcozz... have missed your informative posts. Please share any history you might find. CONGRATS! :)

Tikiville that was very COOL of you to post that and I would have been apprehensive
in posting it as well, really shows integrity.Had I been the one to have scored it
you would have been taken care of in one way or the other-for sure.
As Maxwell Smart used to say " missed it by that much " !

BTW Isn't Bifcoz in Hawaii??

B

Yes we have a six acre exotic flower farm on the big Island that was wiped out by vog (volcanic gas) from Halema'u ma'u vent. Now we are in Houston, Texas, Heading to Ft Lauderdale, Florida

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2009-07-07 18:09 ]

T

Pretty amazing stuff, do you get the bottle of liquor & what appear to be tiki mugs in the back? Can't wait to see more pictures.

L

On 2009-07-07 18:25, Tikisgrl wrote:
Pretty amazing stuff, do you get the bottle of liquor & what appear to be tiki mugs in the back?

Tikisgrl=eyes of an eagle!

I can see the buyer carting it away now:

"hey buddy, this box of old bloody head ceramics goes with the bar if you want 'em. If not we'll just toss 'em"

-Z

..nice score brother...damn....if those walls in that tiki room could talk,huh ?

TS

I'm also glad a TC'er got to it. Congrats to Bif, and that blueprint will look great with the bar!

Sabu may answer this,
I'm I throwing the line too far out by saying, this bounty probably could have gone for $4000 at auction?

Bifcozz,

Congrats on a score of a lifetime.

Would be great to see you posting on TC again in the future.

DC

GK

Note the tiki behind the planter in this shot of Ren Clark's Polynesian Village and its similarity to one sold in this lot...

GK

Here is a shot of Ren workin' his magic on his own stage constructed in his home in Ft. Worth.
http://www.distancelearningassociates.com/archives/Flashpaper%20January%2008.pdf

KC

On 2009-07-07 23:05, Unga Bunga wrote:
Sabu may answer this,
I'm I throwing the line too far out by saying, this bounty probably could have gone for $4000 at auction?

I would think that the Milan Guanko carved tiki could have gone for that much, let alone everything else. This strikes me as probably the number one tiki find of all time on Ebay - especially considering that who knows what will be included that wasn't pictured.

Chris

V

Wow, what a great find. Congrats.
I would have buy that brown tiki alone. That's an excellent design, and with a fantastic history.

Woaoouuh! I completely missed this whole thing (sorry, busy scouting locations in Paris :D ). What an amazing thing to pop up outta nowhere! For years I had hoped to find some kind of info about Ren's home, and the Polynesian Village's artifacts. To think that this home bar had been there all along - and now it is getting torn down...sob!

It certainly is great that one of us got it, it should not have been any other way. Congrats Biffcoz! Good save!
But how soon people forget: Of course Milan Guanko did the Tikis for Ren Clarks! It's written in the goddamn' BOT!

V

I was wondering how long Bigbro would miss that, or I thought maybe he just collapsed !

On 2009-07-13 10:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
It certainly is great that one of us got it, it should not have been any other way. Congrats Biffcoz! Good save!
But how soon people forget: Of course Milan Guanko did the Tikis for Ren Clarks! It's written in the goddamn' BOT!

I love it! ya gotta love it! HAHA " The GD BOT! Right on.... :D love it.......

Here's a link to the newest thread by the bar's new owner. Great pictures and an amazing history!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?forum=5&topic=33101

S

On 2009-07-07 18:08, bifcozz wrote:
Yes we have a six acre exotic flower farm on the big Island that was wiped out by vog (volcanic gas) from Halema'u ma'u vent. Now we are in Houston, Texas, Heading to Ft Lauderdale, Florida

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2009-07-07 18:09 ]

Dang. I guess I won't get to visit you when I get over to Hawaii. Sad to hear.

Pages: 1 45 replies