Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What is this

Pages: 1 38 replies

B

Hey there, I've been reading this forum for a while and finally have a reason to post.
Can anyone tell me if they know what this is, if it's anything at all.
Sorry for my ignorance but I can use some help.
Thanks!

There's also a coffee table. I have to get a picture of it.
Thanks again.

W

"Can anyone tell me if they know what this is, if it's anything at all."

The middle part of a Venetian blue bamboo sectional. Venetian blue bamboo is rare on Earth because Venetian blue bamboo doesn't actually exist.

The left end (sitter's left) of a sectional. Probably made of narwhal tusks. Fairly common.

The left end (driver's left) of a 58 Ford Thunderbird. I think. It's difficult to see from the picture.

Too bad you have two left ends. You mighta been able to make some sorta couch kinda thing out of 'em. As is they are only good for burning.

"There's also a coffee table."

This is a coffee table:

Hi, BambooGal, welcome. What you got there is a project. Wouldn't be worth messin' with for some, but for others, magic happens. If there's labels underneath the furniture, you'll find out manufactured it.

W

Oh it's furniture. Jeez. It's all so obvious now.

B

Thanks Bongo Bungalow. I'm wondering if it's Haywood Wakefield..?

p.s. there is a right end and left end. I realize the pictures aren't
as descriptive as they could be but this is a set.

Thanks in advance!

B

oh woofmutt, what happened? you thought of something clever after you posted
your first helpful response?

[ Edited by: telescopes 2009-07-07 21:06 ]

On 2009-07-07 18:25, woofmutt wrote:
"Can anyone tell me if they know what this is, if it's anything at all."

The middle part of a Venetian blue bamboo sectional. Venetian blue bamboo is rare on Earth because Venetian blue bamboo doesn't actually exist.

For the true minimalist, a table with three legs like this table, is better than one with four legs. This venetian table stands on three faux bamboo-like legs.

But Venetian Faux Bamboo is always a possibility?

On 2009-07-07 20:55, bambooGal wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Wolfie, didn't take her long to get your number!

Welcome to TC BambooGal :)

On 2009-07-07 21:22, MadDogMike wrote:

On 2009-07-07 20:55, bambooGal wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey Wolfie, didn't take her long to get your number!

Welcome to TC BambooGal :)

And yet, woofmutt's taste in bamboo may in fact surpass most everyone else's. For instance,

Mikasa Venetian Blue Bamboo Handled Serving Plate HC, made of Fine China is an absolutely interesting collector's item.

Just think of it, a whole tiki bar made of venetian blue bamboo.

Cool.

L

I am about 99% the set in your pics is NOT Heywood Wakefield.

Even though the set needs lots of restoration HW rattan had the cross bars at the bottom going in the opposite direction so they looked like a mountain not a valley. (does that make sense?)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-07-07 21:51 ]

W

But since name and therefor value is probably one of the primary concerns here (whether for purchasing or selling) let me ask this question:

If it were a Haywood Wakefield full sectional with coffee table, as was apparently considered a possibility from the get go, but it were in the condition that this set is in (poor) would it have much real market value?

We all come across junky pieces of crap that once had been nice pieces of something. How often (and let's just focus on 20th century mass produced furniture) is a piece in really poor condition (water or weather damaged, badly painted, split, broken, burned) going to actually be worth something?
Because sometimes we come across these junky pieces of crap and the seller thinks the name is everything and ka-ching! $1,000 for a grungy, crunchy, warped and split bamboo sectional. Not being an expert I've always wondered "Am I missing something here or is this person just a moron?"

Then I shell out a thousand dollars, drag it home, and have a party to show off my find.

PS: "oh woofmutt, what happened? you thought of something clever after you posted your first helpful response?"

Well of course I did. I'm woofmutt.

Aloha BambooGal,
What you have there is Rattan, not Bamboo, and not Heywood Wakefield. The Wakefield "Ashcraft" line was actually made of wood (ash) with burn marks to simulate the look of rattan. This was due to a shortage of rattan supply during WWII.

In anycase, it does look like a project but if the bands aren't too rotted and the frames are still sturdy (and the price is right), rattan can clean up pretty well. Scrub it down well with hot soap and water, you can use a pressure washer too, and when it dries, apply a generous coat of boiled linseed oil. New cushions and you've got yer'self a swanky couch. Oh, but stay away from the Venetian Blue one... forget about getting paint off of rattan.

Here's a link to a good thread on rattan here on TC:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26753&forum=5&115
Aloha,
:tiki:

MadDogMike: Thank you for welcoming me! :) Wolfie's number is on his sleeve.

Telescopes: You worked on your post from 8:59 --> 9:30pm....only your mom would find it clever...but
lets face it, a half hour to come up with something that's written like a FOB?

Leleliz: THANK YOU! This is really helpful. I want to post it and sell it because I think it's pretty cool but
when I post it I would have liked to state the designer.

Woofmut: The way you describe the effort involved with a project sounds like you have zero passion for this. Why are you on here?
You're home probably has Target furniture.

Tiki Royale: Thank you!! I really appreciate your post :) The link you posted helped too.

On 2009-07-08 10:03, bambooGal wrote:

Telescopes: You worked on your post from 8:59 --> 9:30pm....only your mom would find it clever...but

Leleliz: THANK YOU! This is really helpful. I want to post it and sell it because I think it's pretty cool but
when I post it I would have liked to state the designer.

Woofmut: The way you describe the effort involved with a project sounds like you have zero passion for this. Why are you on here?

Tiki Royale: Thank you!! I really appreciate your post :) The link you posted helped too.

According to Wikipedia, an FOb is an ethnic term in Australian English in reference to Pacific Islanders (ie.Polynesians).

Why thank you for such a high compliment on this board that is dedicated to all things tiki.

Still, I love the concept of a Venetian Blue Tiki Bar.

I knew you would have to look that up. ha!

edit: Which wikipedia are you looking at? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB

[ Edited by: bambooGal 2009-07-08 10:45 ]

As much as I hate to admit it, Woofmutt has a point; restorability is an important consideration. A pile of ashes from a VanGogh masterpiece is still a pile of ashes.

It looks like a lot of you are on here most of the day....yet most replies are somewhat self validating.

Although it sounds a whole lot more romantic it's far from ashes.

Here's a link to what they will look like.

http://www.cityfoundry.com/seating20.html

Thanks to the people who were helpful.

On 2009-07-08 10:40, bambooGal wrote:
I knew you would have to look that up. ha!

Hardly. Back when I lived in D.C., FOB was short for Friend of Bill. When I was in Auckland, it obviously meant something else. Personally, I always preferred the former. However, being that you came here to be educated, I thought, why not help you.

Your welcome.

W

I was gonna make a reply about false fronts but then I just lost the passion for it. Sigh.

L

On 2009-07-08 10:03, bambooGal wrote:

Ya know...please don't come on this site asking for help and then insult or attempt to insult the members on here that have been here since the beginning.

Seriously. It seems as though there has been a rash of people posting on these forums lately who follow the same pattern and I can see now why I second guessed myself to offer any help to your question. You ARE welcomed that I did leave some information for you but lay off the insults. If you truly HAVE watched these forums for some time than you would understand the responses you got from Woofmutt and the like-since that is what we all expected for them to post.

I come here for an escape and to catch up with people's going ons...not to deal with this silly crap.

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-07-08 12:26 ]

Are you kidding Leleliz? I was approached with sarcasm from just about everyone. What
do you expect? The "regulars" need to feel as though they are the elite. I couldn't feel any more
unwelcome.

It's the most insecure of people who have to associate themselves as higher than though. Think
about that the next time you are at the local tiki convention and people like woofboy have an attitude because
he has a special tiki around his neck.

FOB: Fecal occult blood, blood present in the feces that is not visibly apparent.
Think about it telescopes. It's what I thought when I read your posts.

Bye!

W

Everyone's right. I was wrong. But I've lowered my standards and I'm sure it'll just get worse.

Let me explain it to you in this song...

bambooGal claimed to have "been reading this forum for a while" yet supposedly didn't know what the items she posted pictures of were...

"Can anyone tell me if they know what this is, if it's anything at all.
Sorry for my ignorance but I can use some help."

It would seem pretty obvious to anyone who had supposedly been hanging around here that what she had was a cane/bamboo/rattan sectional.

As this was bambooGal's first ever post on Tiki Central and she made no attempt to tell us about herself nor did she even acknowledge that she knew it had to be furniture of some sort I, perhaps wrongly, suspected that she was either a dealer or someone planning on reselling something who was trying to get some free advice.

After the initial offer of sound advice bambooGal immediately asked "I'm wondering if it's Haywood Wakefield..?" To me this meant that all along she had some idea as to what she was dealing with she just chose to not let us know.

Now I will genuinely admit that my original two posts were completely useless and just goofing off.

Normally when first time people show up wondering if something they found in Aunt Clara's attic is a million dollar Tiki mug I just ignore their posts. But I was bored.

After bambooGal made her second post she'd realized she'd forgot to ask me a question so she made a post to do that: "oh woofmutt, what happened? you thought of something clever after you posted your first helpful response?".

Of course I had to answer a question asked of me, it'd be rude not to.

Had her initial query went something like "I have/came across this bamboo sectional and was wondering if it could be Haywood Wakefield?" I'd completely have ignored her post because I don't know jack about Haywood Wakefield and her question would have seemed a valid one as her cards would have been on the table.

Had she asked "I have/came across this bamboo sectional and was wondering if it can be saved? Can it be refinished? How can I make it look good?" I would have actually replied something very much like:

I don't know about refinishing it to an original condition but it would be easy to sand and give a coat of spray paint....Blah blah blah.

Of course as bambooGal has "been reading this forum for a while" she must already know that I provide lots of useful advice to people looking to make their Tiki interiors fabulous. I've even been known to give my opinions on a rum ad campaign to people who introduce themselves and explain their motives.

And now you have my story which was so plainly there all along.

Oh and bambooGal, was right about one other thing: Whatever necklace I'd be wearing at some Tiki-majig-shindig would indeed be special as I would have made it myself.

L

Please ....please....

It's HEYWOOD not Haywood

Don't dealers know how to spell it by now?

yawn

I have about as much energy to be sarcastic as I do to keep reading this thread.

I leave it to you Woofmutt. or any other newbie who wants to keep on keeping on with this hot topic.

Oh and Woofie please keep in mind..its hard to have a battle of wits when the opponent comes unarmed.

bye!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-07-08 16:52 ]

W

Oh, HEYwood Wakefield. Well that's different. When it comes to Heywood Wakefield...I don't know anything about him either.

DZ

Sigh...

Ah, how this thread reminds me of the legendary 'HulaLula' and the origin of "Hoity Toity"...

Good times, good times...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2751&forum=5

:P

Never heard of him, but I have heard of Heywood Yablowme.

He signs my birthday card at work every year, but I have yet to meet him.....hmmmm.....

I sense a lock down...

On 2009-07-08 18:52, dewey-surf wrote:

I sense a lock down...

Oh, what the hell, I'll add my two cents. First off, I usually pipe in on these threads when I sense something funny is either said or about to happen. For me, its always about the creativity that is birthed through non sequitur conversations.

I've been a big fan of Woofmut for many a year now and find him to be unusually succinct at being humorously non sequitur while being deadly on target with the real thrust of the essence of the conversation. His Venetian Blue Bamboo comment was especially insightful in that he immediately deconstructed the subject by pointing out a major concern regarding one specific piece that was highlighted, namely the central section. At the same time, his humor begged the question, do you really want to restore this piece or are you attracted to it because of a supposed name brand.

When do you say to yourself, "Hey, restoring something that is faux to begin with might not be all that prudent?"

My point to all of this is that ardent readers of Tikicentral have learned that subjects and questions posted on this forum are often approached indirectly and with humor just as much as they are approached with a straight head on seriousness. The metaphor here is to think about what response you might get from someone if you were sitting next to them at the bar of the Tiki Ti. It is a bar after all. And this site seems to me to be a type of cyber tiki bar.

Now, Bamboogal represents an element that all to often approaches discussion boards with a certain uppity persnickety attitude that is all too representative of the internet. Namely, hyper criticism and put-downs of other all from the safety of an anonymous keyboard. I was quite aware of her put-down toward me, but why respond directly. Why not point out that what she deems as an insult on this board "FOB" demonstrates her own ignorance of the polynesia.

Again, it's about nuance, humor, and frankly having a good laugh.

I watched and read this board since its inception although I joined only several years ago. At the Oasis conventions, I enjoy sitting in the background. Bamboogal is certainly free to regurgitate her Bacardi, but really, I'll take my rum in one of Woofmut's Tiki Mug Fairies... or is that Fairies with Tiki mugs. I can't quite remember.

Now, about that lock down... Lucas, are you out there? Pardon me while I light up a cigar at the Tiki Ti.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2010-10-10 12:24 ]

TS

Not to forget, people looking for HeywoodWake furniture, know what they are looking for, and most want the furniture with this

still attached. Sure its not necessary, but it helps.
I think that bamboogals "find" will cost more to restore,(seat covers/cushions/sandpaper/varnish/sealer, and man hours) than it's worth. Especially seeing that it is in the "style of", versus being from the actual famous maker.

On 2009-07-08 21:08, Tom Slick wrote:
I think that bamboogals "find" will cost more to restore,(seat covers/cushions/sandpaper/varnish/sealer, and man hours) than it's worth. Especially seeing that it is in the "style of", versus being from the actual famous maker.

I do not recall that bamboogal ever claimed it to be a "find". She just simply ask "What is it?".
What's wrong with you people???

I remember when tikis used to be fun. That was a long time ago.

It's not even mine. My boyfriend is remodeling a house and there was a tiki
hut in the back. I told him not to throw the couch away. It might be a nice
piece. I'm far from a dealer. I spent a couple of hours trying to find out info on it.

That's all. Not a dealer. Anyone who wants my phone number is welcome to pm me. I live
in Sherman Oaks, CA in a rental. I am not a dealer. I don't want to be a dealer. I told
my boyfriend who has had a lot of money troubles to post this on Craigslist and that I would
try to find out more about it. So it tried and got some pretty unwelcoming sarcastic replies.
Good for you guys. You've helped? You've helped eachother pass the time and waste mine.

Again, anyone who wants my phone number please pm me and I will invite you over. No
tiki's here, no dealings....just was helping my boyfriend.

Sorry I spelled Heywood wrong...geez.

TS

On 2009-07-08 21:26, ThreeTikis wrote:
I do not recall that bamboogal ever claimed it to be a "find". She just simply ask "What is it?".
What's wrong with you people???
I remember when tikis used to be fun. That was a long time ago.

ThreeTikis, here is a quote that will justify my "educated guess" about using the word "find":

On 2009-07-08 22:03, bambooGal wrote:
It's not even mine. My boyfriend is remodeling a house and there was a tiki
hut in the back. I told him not to throw the couch away. It might be a nice
piece. I'm far from a dealer. I spent a couple of hours trying to find out info on it.

Maybe I was out of line for calling it a find before she indirectly called it a find, but regardless, I didnt state anything wrong or callous. My main point and focus was exactly that, "It wouldn't be worth the money to restore to flip for profit, when it isn't genuine Heywood."

Sorry for your confusion, Three. Tiki is still fun, but sometimes 1st time topic posters get blasted for their "what is it?, and what is it worth?" first time posts...It gets old, especially when they are probably just going to try to flip it to one of us with an exorbitant price tag. She isn't the first, and most likely won't be the last. Most of the veterans on this board will completely ignore these types of topics, as most feel they are being juiced for information by someone who will never post here again. Not like it hasn't already happened in the past.........I don't think her question was out of line, but maybe fell short of introduction and possible netiquette.
Next time I will try to be a little more P.C., and sugarcoat it, I guess...? :wink:

Oh, and BambooGal...My response to your original question was not intended to be mean spirited. You have to understand that alot of first time posters who ask the questions like "What is it, and/or how much is it worth", usually only come here that one instance and never return to contribute to Tiki Central. I hope that you can get past the sarcasm and our in-house jokers, to become a fan and participant of TC. In any case, Best wishes, should you choose to restore the rattan.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-07-08 23:24 ]

This picture has nothing to do with SO Cal HT's, just thought it was funny/stupid.
If I could turn back the clock of TC. :)
By the way Dr. Z, I need to refill me prescription of the Dr's hangover remedy!

T

I see how people on both sides of this could be frustrated with the other. Bamboogal could have said from the beginning that this was from a house her boyfriend was remodeling and wanted to know if it was worth restoring/recovering, but she probably just posted the first thing that came to her.

Seems like there were a few funny/sarcastic posts, but for the most part, people helped out. Tiki is an escapist hobby, so we will even give outlandish responses to further our escape. But like I said, there were some good responses too!

I'm sure, we'd all like to see any rattan recovered from going to the dump, so when you finish it, post some photos and a few people might even like it! There is a lot of Aloha here, once you get to know us!

TikiTony is right.
AND there are/were a lot of people that joined here to learn some insight about their item, just so they could add a few more dollars to their E-Bay auction.
So I'm not surprised we're a little on edge.
but we are classy enough not to steal your drink while you're on the dance floor. :D

B

Yeah, it really wasnt' my intention to strike it rich with this thing...in fact
I won;t make a dime. I was talking to my boyfriend at the gym and he was telling me
about how he had to demo a tiki hut up in the hollywood hills...I was like WHAT??!! What's there?? The only thing
there was this piece. I told him not to throw it away....and not to restore it either.
It needs to be done right, especially if it was a Heywood. It broke my heart that someone
painted the thing!!!!!!! AAHHH!!

Anyway, the man who lives there (in hollywood hills) bought it in the 50;s and has pictures of him with his
friends hanging out on it. I just thought someone would like the project. I think my boyfriend
and I thought $50 was fair. I know it takes a lot of money and TIME!! to fix it. So I told
him that there might be an enthusiast and why not post on craigslist. If it wasn't a heywood then
I wouldn't want to post it that way because nothing bothers me more than someone trying to get
my attention with a popular name and then the thing isn't part of the designers work.

I used to be very involved with tiki's. More than most of you would think.....believe me.
I went all over to every convention....Long Beach, San Diego (s e v e r a l t i m e s) palm springs...you name it I was there. I work at Disney..I know all about the tiki room and
was there for the re-make and yes, the enthusiasts / people were not nice at all. I've also
gone to the Tiki Ti (that's the bar on Victory?) Lots of egos there..sorry but it's true.
There are of course nice people so I'm not categorizing. For the most part I felt unwelcome..just like I do here. I'm not surprised. Just thought I could get some help.

Bamboogirl, just ignore Woofmutt, he is in Washington State and while we are here enjoying sunshine and all that is the Valley, Hollywood and the West Side...it's raining there...and cold...and more rain, and it's not Los Angeles or even California. (Pity is appropriate)
Welcome aboard, screw the naysayers and do you think we could bet more info on a Tiki Hut in Hollywood Hills?

The last thing I want to do is to fan any flames here, but I owe Woofmutt an apology. I thought you were being a bit brusk with the newcomer but it turns out you were a far better judge both of character and of rattan than I gave you credit for. :blush:

W

"I owe Woofmutt an apology. I thought you were being a bit brusk with the newcomer...["

Keep your apology for all your other wrongs against me, I was just knee jerking off and being an ass. While I don't say this as any defense of my posts I would like to say that I had assumed my furniture gag would go largely ignored like much of what I throw up on the Internet.

"I was talking to my boyfriend at the gym and he was telling me
about how he had to demo a tiki hut up in the hollywood hills..."

That's actually an interesting story, and the kind of thing most of us Tiki people's literally have dreams about.

"It broke my heart that someone
painted the thing!!!!!!! AAHHH!!"

A feeling many of us have on a weekly basis. If one were to physically weigh all the great art in the world against all the stuff ruined by paint I think we might have proof that paint has done more damage than good.

Oh great, now I probably just pissed off some paint dealers.

Pages: 1 38 replies