Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Big A** Robots

Pages: 1 26 replies

R

my other hobby besides tiki involves robots, lots of 'em......

Very Cool!

wow, that's really cool.

awesome.

L

Psycho Tiki D collects them also btw.

I have to say once again why can't I ever date anyone whose house looks like that ??

So rad.

TS

DAnger!Danger! haha, man that is a great looking collection, and well displayed! Love the War of the Worlds ship just suspended there too! Is that an actual prop from the movie, or is it a LE repro, and is it a light?

Hey Robotiki,

Nice stuff. Did you get your Maria, Robby, and B9 robot from Fred Barton? Maybe your B9 came from Mike Joyce, or did you build it yourself?

Just curious..

Rick

R

Nice stuff. Did you get your Maria, Robby, and B9 robot from Fred Barton? Maybe your B9 came from Mike Joyce, or did you build it yourself?

Robby & B9 came from Barton, Maria is from Strauss Company in Germany. It is authorized by the estate of Franz Mittendorf, the guy that designed Maria. Her base plaque is all in German....

The Martian War Machine (War of the Worlds) is pulled from a mold off an original. Some have been made to light but mine just has fluorescent green paint which glows when I turn on the blacklight.

T

I had a chance to talk with the actor that was in the B9 suit, Bob May. He passed away earlier this year. He said the original suit was cast iron! They used to film the series out in the San Fernando valley frequently, and sometimes Bob would miss a line or his que. When he did, the crew knew that he passed out from the heat and would rush over to remove the top and dowse him with water. He had a ton of great stories.

Very nice collection.

R

On 2009-07-09 04:23, TikiMango wrote:
I had a chance to talk with the actor that was in the B9 suit, Bob May. He passed away earlier this year. He said the original suit was cast iron!

Bob was a great talker at conventions. While he may have said the robot seemed like cast iron, it was actually fiberglass. He was a heavy smoker and would smoke inside the robot on breaks. He once almost got doused with water because the crew thought the damn thing was on fire.

It was a shame he lost his home in the fires last year, I think that stress lead to his passing away.

The reason Robby and the Lost in Space robot share some similarities is because they were designed by the same guy, Bob Kinoshita. In 2004 there was a retrospective of Kinoshita's work at the DeMille barn in Hollywood. I attended, along with a whole bunch of other robot nerds. Bob May was there with his stories, as was Kinoshita (90 years old then), and a bunch of other actors from Forbidden Planet.

May would often tell the story of the time someone stepped on the cable that would pull the robot along, causing the whole thing to do a flip with him inside!

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2009-07-09 04:51 ]

[ Edited by: robotiki 2009-07-09 04:54 ]

On 2009-07-08 19:56, leleliz wrote:
I have to say once again why can't I ever date anyone whose house looks like that ??
So rad.

So what are you doing this weekend?????
But, I've just got a small one.............Robby that is.

R
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.