Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

This is what I'm up against...

Pages: 1 6 replies

...Please tell me, what possible good could come of this?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/07/09/margaritaville-calgary-stampede-expansion-development.html#socialcomments

Why couldn't this be Trader Vic's instead?

T

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhahahahahahahahahah
stilt walkers and balloon artists?!
Gotta love the city of Calgary for knowing exactly what the people want right now !
hahahahaha.....this really krakz me up !
Edmonton may have even less but at least it doesn't have this ........
my condolences!

M
Mo-Eye posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2009 3:14 PM

I'm "lucky" enough to have just witnessed this recently in Waikiki with the new Buffett opening there. As bad as normal Florida style tiki is, his place is even worse. Bright, candy coated tropical crap.

I feel your pain...

W

I was just pondering the growing interest in 2012 (the actual year, not the DISASTER! movie) and was wondering if we had some good, full blown hysteria to look forward to.

Then I came across this thread and in the the linked news story I read this:

Officials said Margaritaville should open in time for 100th anniversary of the Calgary Stampede in 2012.

And now I'm wondering if there actually is something to dread about 2012.

Admittedly my geography is a little, shall we say...off. So how does this; " Customers will be able to enjoy a 10,000-sq. ft. outdoor patio" make sense. Isn't Calgary up north enough to get snow? Lots of snow? Like enough snow that the last thing people want to see is a nice slushy drink in their glass.

On 2009-09-26 10:41, Chip and Andy wrote:
Admittedly my geography is a little, shall we say...off. So how does this; " Customers will be able to enjoy a 10,000-sq. ft. outdoor patio" make sense. Isn't Calgary up north enough to get snow? Lots of snow? Like enough snow that the last thing people want to see is a nice slushy drink in their glass.

The "DREDDED SNOW " realyy only exists from the months of november to march,and really that is a loose estimate a few years ago we didn't have snow in Alberta till the end of december ( keep your classic car loving fingers crossed). Calgary generally sees snow first due to the proximity to the rocky mountains...
Now the rest of the year is mild to quite warm ! Like thursday it was 33 above , friday 25 ( thats in Canadian friendly metric lol)
What we do get in the summer months is daylight till 10 pm!

So I read this, and remember getting chastised by a member on the Tiki Snob question over in General Tiki. The member who will remain nameless (and should be noted said member has since removed his posts), was evidently a huge Buffet fan. I had stated I don't feel any of the Jimmy Buffet genre fits here, as is also stated in the FAQ's. So he came at me with this post;

"dewey-surf, you obviously don't know Jimmy Buffet. Jimmy is a friend of mine. I played with him for many years and I can tell you, he is more tiki then most tiki's. Obviously, he has a commercial image and that image is predicated on what sells. But as far as tiki goes in his private life, I can tell you he gets it. I think it's important to separate the man from the myth, or in Jimmy's case, the PR. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. OR JIMMY."

Funny. That Jimmy has his pulse on the scence what with balloon animals and all.

Pages: 1 6 replies