Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pi-Yi recipe?

Pages: 1 18 replies

I bought one of these at a garage sale last weekend and I'm itching to try it out

I've searched the internet (including TC) and I can't find a Pi-Yi recipe no matter how I spell it. Does anyone have a recipe they can share?

RB

The Pi-Yi recipe is in "Intoxica!"

Those pineapple corers are awesome. Mine has attachments for three different sizes.

H

Pi-Yi

1 1/2 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz honey
1/2 oz. Peach Brandy
1/2 oz. Passion fruit
nectar or juice (not syrup!)
1 oz. Gold Puerto Rican rum
1 oz. Martinique rum
Dash Angostura Bitters

Blend with 8 oz ice for one full min. pour into hollowed-out pineapple add more crushed ice.

A

If my memory serves, there's a Don the Beachcomber postcard that lists three cocktails, including the Pi-Yi. It's more of a listing of ingredients rather than an actual recipe, but as I recall the drink calls for Cuban rums.

The Pina Passion is pretty close to the Pi-Yi. This is one of my faves when I've got some fresh pineapple around.

On 2009-07-10 09:51, arriano wrote:
If my memory serves, there's a Don the Beachcomber postcard that lists three cocktails, including the Pi-Yi. It's more of a listing of ingredients rather than an actual recipe, but as I recall the drink calls for Cuban rums.

VoilĂ :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33052&forum=10&0

L

Not completely off the subject does anyone know where to purchase those pineapple hollow outers?

I thought I had seen a metal one at some point but I can't find my link.

Btw that recipe sounds tasty!

leleliz, you can find them at stores that sell cookware, such as Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma. I got mine at Target, and I've seen them at a larger few grocery stores including Kroger's (which is the same chain as Ralph's for you West Coasters).

Have fun, those pineapple jobbies work exceptionally well.
If you do it right, you end up with a vessel to serve your cocktail in.
Post pics!

I usually see them at the grocery store in the produce section next to the pineapples.

Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to try out the Pina Passion tomorrow because I have most of the ingredients. I'll post pictures.

L

Thanks for the info!

As promised, Pina Passion pictures:

Ingredients. ALCB does not list peach brandy so I substituted apricot brandy and it was fine.

Erin.

The pineapples were perfectly ripe - sweet, juicy and very easy to hollow out.

Jessica.

The intact core served as an "umbrella stand"

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2009-07-12 03:00 ]

RB

Using the core as an umbrella "stand"...what a great idea!!!

T

Recipe from the former Sea Shell restaurant of the former Coco Palms Resort, Kauai:

1 oz rum
1 oz orange curacao
1 oz 151 rum
1 oz orange juice
3 oz Itch mix
1 oz coconut syrup
2 oz crushed pineapple

Blend. Garnish with straw and orchid. Serve in pineapple. Price code=Piyi.

Taken directly from the recipe cards.

Yet to try it. Just got it. Rescued all of the recipe cards I could find on this last trip. Enjoy.

I have the plastic one pictured in this forum and it works great for creating a spiral cut but sometimes I'd prefer a tubular cut. Does anyone have a clue if this style is still made? I think this picture is from an old OMC catalog.

• fm

What is the Itch mix?

Rick

On 2009-11-02 11:45, TNTiki wrote:
Recipe from the former Sea Shell restaurant of the former Coco Palms Resort, Kauai:

1 oz rum
1 oz orange curacao
1 oz 151 rum
1 oz orange juice
3 oz Itch mix
1 oz coconut syrup
2 oz crushed pineapple

Yet to try it. Just got it. Rescued all of the recipe cards I could find on this last trip. Enjoy.

T
TNTiki posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 3:02 PM

Rick:

I googled it. I believe it is a mix for the drink "Tropical Itch." The mix is available on the internet at tropicalisle.com. I must admit that I had no idea that such a mix existed until I found this recipe.

TNTiki

On 2009-11-03 10:06, Bogielocks wrote:
What is the Itch mix?

Rick

On 2009-11-02 11:45, TNTiki wrote:

1 oz rum
1 oz orange curacao
1 oz 151 rum
1 oz orange juice
3 oz Itch mix
1 oz coconut syrup
2 oz crushed pineapple

H

On 2009-07-10 09:51, arriano wrote:

FWIW, here's the postcard:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25227&forum=2&vpost=568436

Pages: 1 18 replies