Tiki Central / Other Events

The Vodkanauts @ Martini Club, Dunedin, FL 4/11/03

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

Friday, Apr 11, 2003

Martini Club
520 Douglas Ave., Dunedin, FL
(727) 734-0885

The Vodkanauts, featuring the vocal stylings of Jonathan & Jessica, perform two sets of surf, lounge & rock 'n' roll tunage for your listening and dancing pleasure. Full liquor is available with proper ID. Showtime is 10pm and admission is free.

Coming in June - The Vodkanauts with Italian sensations I Belli Di Waikiki for special pre and post Hukilau events!

Aloha!
Mark, Ken, John, Jessica & Jonathan
The Vodkanauts
performing surf, lounge and other aural delights
http://www.vodkanauts.com

Hey Tweedtone!

Sorry i missed you at SXSW! How did your show go? Did you make it to Oceans 11 (reopened) or Mad Bird?

My apologies also for missing Clouseaux's gig. Howazat?

Actually, we played a block over from Ocean's Eleven, at Club Deville. The organizers of our non-official SXSW showcase were praying for 200 people to show up and we had over 400 so it was a rousing success. Stayed through Sunday and saw a buttload of great music, mostly for free as we didn't go to any of the "offical" showcases. Not much point as a majority of 'em are signed acts that'll be coming through on tour at some point.

OE's decor is great but there I had the absolute worst excuse for a Mai Tai I have ever had in my entire life. I first asked for a Suffering Bastard and the man-child bartender just stared at me with a Bambi-in-the-headlights look of non-comprehension, then gave me this story of how "the guy that had opened the place took his drink recipe book with him and we're not allowed to make his drinks." Uh, unless "the guy" was Don the Beachcomber himself back from the grave, I think ya can whipped out the Grog Log and make a decent drink. Very disappointing.

If you ever want to play over in Tampa Bay, please contact me as I gots mad connections out the proverbial wazoo, venues, radio, press etc.

tweedtone
http://www.vodkanauts.com
http://www.barelypink.com

[ Edited by: tweedtone on 2003-04-10 14:08 ]

[ Edited by: tweedtone on 2003-04-10 14:31 ]

Tweedtone:

Our showcase went GREAT! They didn't let our firebreather do his thing, which was VERY disappointing - didn't even let us light our TIKI TORCHES! Puh-leeze! The Great White thing has had the suckiest repercussions for us.

But the show was packed - not before us, and not after us! But the BEST showcase package all around, I thought. Very international: full-on Flamenco from Spain, fake French us playing exotica, an Arabic thing with a belly dancer, an out-of-this-world group from Uzbekistan (sp?), Brave Combo (Polish polka!), and The Red Elvisis (Russian guys). SO fun, all night! People went nuts and approached me on the street and in clubs all weekend long, saying they loved our show. And some label interest afterwards - yay (but I ain'y holdin' my breath).

I'm so glad your show kicked ass, too! That's a NICE sized crowd, especially with the official competition in droves!

Very humerously written AND disheartening story about Oceans 11 ("the man-child bartender"). I'm not giving up hope, though.

Don't know when we'll get out Florida way, but I'll definitely keep you in mind. A 14 piece band - with vibes - is hell on the travel budget. Our trip to play at Tiki Oasis is putting us in the hole for a while, unless we sell all our "Destination: Oasis" EP's we're making for the event. Cross your fingers!

Hope to see your band play sometime soon!

Pages: 1 3 replies