Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What is your favorite "nontiki" drink?

Pages: 1 35 replies

I'm not sure that this topic belongs here, but.... it isn't about tiki drinks so I can't put it there.

So here's the question... What is your favorite coctail to drink when you're not drinking a tiki drink?

Mine's a mint julep.

Only, I sort of think that a mint julep is at its core a tiki drink. Mint, simple syrup, ice, a specialty glass, bourbon - not rum, yet... and usually consumed very slowly and quietly in a unique setting under twirling fans. Sometimes, you are even served by dazzling women with strange and far away accents. If you're lucky, non of the male natives with tool belts pulling down thier pants won't be around to bother you.

So what's your's?

L

water

does that make me boring?

oh wait...you asked about cocktail.

well I like Dirty Shirleys...shirley temples with vodka. Not very original but mighty tasty!

:)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-07-10 19:17 ]

Cranberry Juice and Vodka (aka The Cape Codder).

Single Malt Scotch Whiskey!

Glenmorangie is my everyday but Highland Park 18yr and Glenfiddich 21 yr are special faves.

On 2009-07-10 17:46, rugbymatt wrote:
Single Malt Scotch Whiskey!

Glenmorangie is my everyday but Highland Park 18yr and Glenfiddich 21 yr are special faves.

I hate to admit it, but Green Label is my new favorite right now. Goes so well with a cigar late at night while setting at my home bar next to the palm trees and pool.

Right now I'm hooked on two drinks.

Cuba Libre'
Rum, cola, lime in a highball glass with chipped ice.
I try to use the Coca~Cola from Mexico, it has real sugar.

Montezuma's Revenge.
(Montezuma Brand)tequila, cola, lime in a highball glass with chipped ice.
It's the same as a Cuba Libre', but obviously uses tequila.

TM

Gin and Tonic
Mint Julep
Cosmopolitan
Scotch and soda
scotch

DZ

Milagro Reposado tequila.

2 oz. shot, straight, no lime, salt or chaser.

My wife and I have also become big fans of the Gin and Tonic, the last couple of years. Very refreshing on these 100 degree days, down at the marina. And, you can cut back on the gin, without ruining the taste, so that you can keep drinking all day without knocking yourself completely out.

On 2009-07-12 12:07, Limbo Lizard wrote:
My wife and I have also become big fans of the Gin and Tonic, the last couple of years. Very refreshing on these 100 degree days, down at the marina. And, you can cut back on the gin, without ruining the taste, so that you can keep drinking all day without knocking yourself completely out.

I know its a simple drink, but how do you make your gin and tonic? Can you use club soda?

K

I'm glad someone else brought up Tequila. I've spent the past few years learning about Tequila and perfecting my "Margarita" (I know this is probably a curse word here) recipe. Now I'm learning about rums.

I LOVE Milagro Reposado and use that for my margatini(tm) - a far cry from your typical margaritas. Much like rum drinks have a bad reputation of being overly sweet because bartenders just don't care (and the typical drinker doesn't care either)... margaritas have been ruined more often than not.

Gold Tequila should be banned from civilized society - leave it for the frat parties.

Last night I got together with some good friends to try the Chinaco Negro (extra anejo) tequila. YUMMY! The taste is SOOOOOO warm and complex. We followed that up with a traditional chaser of Sangrita (a spicy, tangy mixture of tomato and orange juices, usually spiked with hot chiles and lime juice - homemade is so much better than that crap you buy at the liquor store).

Of course this was after we had a few rounds of Mai Tais before/with dinner. :)

DZ

On 2009-07-12 13:00, KeithH wrote:
I'm glad someone else brought up Tequila. I've spent the past few years learning about Tequila and perfecting my "Margarita" (I know this is probably a curse word here) recipe. Now I'm learning about rums.

I LOVE Milagro Reposado and use that for my margatini(tm) - a far cry from your typical margaritas. Much like rum drinks have a bad reputation of being overly sweet because bartenders just don't care (and the typical drinker doesn't care either)... margaritas have been ruined more often than not.

Gold Tequila should be banned from civilized society - leave it for the frat parties.

Last night I got together with some good friends to try the Chinaco Negro (extra anejo) tequila. YUMMY! The taste is SOOOOOO warm and complex. We followed that up with a traditional chaser of Sangrita (a spicy, tangy mixture of tomato and orange juices, usually spiked with hot chiles and lime juice - homemade is so much better than that crap you buy at the liquor store).

Of course this was after we had a few rounds of Mai Tais before/with dinner. :)

We gotta get together, Keith! Now as many folks can vouch, I know my liquors and can mix drinks with the best of 'em, but for a quick & tasty, no muss, no fuss 'short hoist', nuthin' beats the simple shot of tequila. I often use sangrita when I'm sipping (any tequilaria worth its salt - el Agave in Old Town San Diego being my fave - will ALWAYS serve you sangrita), but I didn't want to have to explain what it was. :P Glad to see someone else knows!

On 2009-07-12 13:00, KeithH wrote:

I agree. 100 percent blue agave only for me.

For the perfect Margarita, I use

Juice from 1 Key Lime
1/4 oz simple syrup
1 shot to Chamucos Tequila or Don Juilo
1/2 shot of Citronage

Shake, Shake, Shake

Splash of Chambord
Sometimes I add a little orange or lemon juice as well.

Oddly enough, when we have Tequila tasting parties, which we tend to have too many of, Commerativo often wins in the blind tasting.

I simply can't explain it.

K

Glad to see a few more people here enjoy a good tequila now and then. I don't feel so out of place. :)

Doc - next time I find my self in SD I will have to look up the el Agave. It is very hard to find places that have sangrita... and when they do, more often than not it is just a simple V8 or something lame like that.

telescopes - what did you say that address was again? I'll be right down for one of these tasting parties. :) A bit of a trek from up here in Portland though but if I find myself in your neck of the woods I'll have to look you up.

My Margatini recipe starts out simple:
3 parts tequila (Milagro Reposado)
2 parts fresh lime juice
1 part agave nector
Shake and serve up with a half salt rim if desired

From there you can get creative.
Use key limes instead of regular limes
add a bit of meyer lemon juice
Add your floats if desired
Serve on the rocks if desired - NEVER FROZEN

I've even done a pepper infusion for those spicy margaritas and may even add some pineapple juice if the mood strikes. Anyone up to try my Devil'Rita(tm)?

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.