Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Relive Apollo Moon Landing in Real Time

Pages: 1 0 replies

D

"We choose to go the moon and do the other things--not because they are easy, but because they are hard." With those immortal words exclaimed by John F. Kennedy, the United States and the human race would embark on a mission to set foot on the moon. No other such ambitious task had ever been under taken in the history of man kind--the trek to another world outside of our atmosphere. This year is the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon shot.

I was 1 year old when Apollo moon launch and landing riveted the world. I don't personally remember it, but my mother and grandparents told me stories about sitting around the black and white TV watching every moment of this historic event....of course with me sitting in their laps.

I was thrilled to find out that NASA is reliving the moon launch and landing IN REAL TIME!!. If you were young enough to remember, or want to find out what the Apollo mission was like, you can relive it moment by moment.

go to: http://wechoosethemoon.org/

This is a wonderful web site by NASA in which they are playing ALL of the Apollo 11 and ground controller as well as showing the exact location of the space vehicle, all in real time. Not only do they let you hear the transmissions and see a ear t-to-moon mission map, the web site also features very large movies that trigger at specific times in the mission to show what exactly is happening at that particular moment, such as final stage separation and docking in orbit.

I woke up early this morning and witnessed the lift off. Its not tiki, but hey, its a major story in the history of the human race--proof that we can achieve momentous things for greater good of us all.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2009-07-16 07:04 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies