Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Been to Whisknladle Bistro & Bar-La Jolla for a Zombie?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I just saw this magazine article for the Whisknladle Bistro & Bar in La Jolla featuring their Zombie drink--I'm curious if anyone has been there? It's not a tiki bar by any means, but the drink looks good!

In the same magazine -Pacific San Diego-there is also a spread on Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge--
Check out page 38 (for Mr Tiki) and page 40 for the Whisknladle Zombie
http://www.pacificsandiego.com/images/issues/0709%20July%202009.pdf

Whisknladle’s Ian Ward has earned a reputation for being one of San
Diego’s finest mixologists thanks to his inventiveness and the fact that, like
the restaurant’s culinary staff, he creates everything—including a diverse
line of infused liquors—from scratch. Available only at the bar and served
in a glass shaped like a monkey skull, Ward’s tart and tempting Zombie
combines home-made tamarind-vanilla syrup with fresh-squeezed apricot
and lemon juices, añejo rum, brandy and a float of every tender’s best
fiery friend, 151 rum.

A

This drink maybe great, but I have a real problem with bars calling a drink "Zombie" and not following a Don the Beachcomber recipe -- especially given the fact that Beachbum Berry has provided the world with proper recipes. They could have named their drink anything -- Monkey Skull for example. But instead they chose a name of a very famous drink and capitalize on that. In doing so, they're helping confuse the public into thinking that any old strong rum cocktail with fruit juices is a Zombie.

(stepping down from my soapbox now)

I gotcha--I agree, too.

I'm drawn to any flaming drink and the mug is cool--plus I liked that they infuse their own liquors--but like I said, is not a tiki bar by any means--it's just pretty close to me and worth a taste.

But I do agree about using that name for a drink that it is obviously not and doesn't need to be called that-IMO, to even get their clientele in there anyway.

S

I have not gone yet, but have heard great things regarding the bartenders and their mixology skills.

I have been told there are several original and tasty cocktails on the menu.

I hope to visit them soon...

Pages: 1 3 replies