Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Festiki '09 - Dayton, Ohio - August 15, 2009

Pages: 1 32 replies

Surf Ohio Festiki to Celebrate Summer, Sun, Surf & More

DAYTON, OHIO, July 1, 2009 – Catch the big wave of family fun @ Surf Ohio Festiki 2009. The day-long event on Aug. 15 @ Carillon Historical Park in Dayton celebrates classic surf, tiki and hot rod culture.

Patrons will enjoy an exotic trip to the South Pacific and Caribbean islands via live surf rock and exotica music, Hawaiian steel guitar and authentic hula dancing, steel drums, fire dancing, and Polynesian-style food, drinks and more.

Surf Ohio Festiki 2009 also will feature tiki carvers, retro vendors, a giant sand sculpture, and a cruise-in of vintage pre-1970 hot rods, motorcycles and scooters.

Sponsored in part by Surf Ohio and the Fraternal Order of Moai, Festiki will be held from noon to 11 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, @ Carillon Historical Park in Dayton, Ohio.

A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Surfrider Foundation, a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the world's waves and beaches.

“The Festiki experience was created to offer everyone a much needed ‘staycation alternative’ -- an escape to the tropical life, right here in Ohio,” said Ron Kaplan, founder of Surf Ohio, LLC and event organizer. “For over thirty years, people of all ages have enjoyed the fun-in-the-sun state of mind symbolized by Surf Ohio, and Festiki will bring that attitude to life,” Kaplan said.

The live entertainment lineup is highlighted by Chicago surf rock and exotica band the Cocktail Preachers; Dayton’s own instrumental masters the Nick Kizirnis Band; and the monster surf sounds of Milwaukee’s Go! Tsunami. The afternoon performers include the Harmony Islanders with Leilani, providing lush Hawaiian music and hula dancing, and Pan Harmony, a steel drum ensemble that encourages audience participation.

Soul Fire Tribe, a fire-dancing troupe, will light the tiki torches in ritual fashion and perform @ dusk. DJs Jet Sterling and Rev. Chuck Allen of Surfabilly Freakout! will spin vintage rock, surf and exotica records between bands.

The Sand Sculpture Company of Chicago will be creating an 8-ton sand sculpture with a tiki theme. Children can build their own sand castles as part of the kids’ fun zone.

Admission is $10 for adults; $5 for ages 10-17; and free for ages 9 and under. Receive $1 off a single admission with a current AAA membership card. Parking is free.

Car show registration is $10 per vehicle. Trophies will be awarded to the top 25 vehicles.

For more information, visit SurfOhio.com or call (937) 293-2841.

Festiki sponsors include Surf Ohio, the Fraternal Order of Moai, Tiki Magazine, AAA Travel, Watson's, WTUE-FM, WONE-AM, Land Shark Lager and Logos @ Work.

Surf Ohio is a clothing company founded in 1978. Ron Howard, Michael J. Fox and the Beach Boys are among the celebrities who have worn Surf Ohio shirts and hats over the years.

The Fraternal Order of Moai is the premier fraternal organization and social network for all men and women interested in tiki culture and the Polynesian pop era. The official FOM chapters are Kahiki (Central Ohio), Kokoru (Chesapeake Bay Area); Kon-Tiki (Southwest Ohio), Red Palms (Illinois), Gumbo Limbo (South Florida) and Queequeg (New England).

[ Edited by: SufferinSimon 2009-07-20 19:20 ]

Anyone planning on going to this? Was looking at this earlier in the year. Sounds fun.

UI

I might make the trip.
Is it worth a 9 hour drive, each way ?

[ Edited by: Unkl Ian 2009-07-21 20:20 ]

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

T

I hope to make the trip all the way from Picktown..

really looking forward to attending!

TJ

I wouldn't miss this for anything!

Count me in!

I'm there. Looking forward to it.

So maybe I was a little naive, but from at least one of the ads for this event - it made it sound like there was water at this place (come join us for a day at the beach). However, I could not find anything on the Park's website that showed a lake, etc. So, I called the number they included for questions. FYI - there's no water at this park for swimming. However, the lady on the phone said they were bringing in sand for this, so...there ya have it. We've got kids coming so I wanted to confirm.

T

I will be vending at this event.
Will try to post pic's of some of the
items I will have for sale.
Have like 10 lights?
Plus the trip is worth it for the Cocktail Preachers alone!

Stop by and say hey.

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 5:47 AM

On 2009-08-04 05:11, tikiskip wrote:
I will be vending at this event.
Will try to post pic's of some of the
items I will have for sale.
Have like 10 lights?

Stop by and say hey.

I'm glad I'm driving to this event, instead of flying.....lots 'o room in the car.....and a MUCH bigger car this time, too :wink:
Lookin' forward to seeing what you've got!

On 2009-08-04 05:11, tikiskip wrote:

And Go!Tsunami too!!!

..i'm gonna take a pass on this one...ever since the band line up changed i can't justifiy comin out to see two great bands (cocktail preachers and go! tsunami) after i just saw them at the chef shangri-la 33rd anniversary (which curiously enough, didn't draw any tikiphiles from ohio to support it....) The music is still good and i'd love to see daddy-kats.....regardless, it sounds like it'll still be a good time...i just hope it doesn't turn into a "tiki-eyeball" fiasco....:)

there...i said it...

T

Hey Croe Thanks!
I got that bamboo for you as well. HA!!!

And David any chance we get to go to Chicago we try to take.
But it's a money / time thing any more.
When we got the time no money.
When we got the money on time.

Don't know what the "tiki-eyeball" fiasco was
but if it's a wise crack, welcome back!
You have been way too nice as of late.

On 2009-08-04 12:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
(which curiously enough, didn't draw any tikiphiles from ohio to support it....)

Take it easy on the Ohio ohana Dave, I made it to the Chef when
I was in town for the Restaurant Show. The only thing that keeps
me from getting to Chi-town more often is my babysitter situation.
When my kid turns 6 and can stay home alone, I'll hit every Chicago event.

J/K, I have to wait until he turns 7. :wink:

Don't know what the "tiki-eyeball" fiasco was
but if it's a wise crack, welcome back!
You have been way too nice as of late.

ha ha !! sorry to disappoint, skip but right now all my anger and frustration is being directed toward the current political administration in the white house......once this blows over, the all seeing, all knowing evil eye will be directed once again toward tiki central.... :)

T

I love a person who's not too wishy washy to say what's what.
Give em hell dave!!!!

T

One more week to go. Is in anyone showing up friday?

C

I'll be there!!
Can't wait!! :D

T

Yes My wife and I will be there Friday.
We more than likly will go to Daddy Katz on friday eve.
Staying at the Dayton Marriott.
If you see me say hi.
Plus I will be vending on Sat. But I will sell at any time you
see me.
Most of the time I sell more before the show than at the show.
So if ya want to buy just say what do ya got and I will show/sell
right then and there.

I'll be there!! :)

I might be bringing Francis Llacuna along for the ride too!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Here is some of what I will be selling.

Kahiki table tops, $300.00

Kahiki table tops, $300.00

Shark jaws from Kahiki $20.00 each. SOLD

as marked.

as marked

Basket light $47.00

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2009-08-12 13:52 ]

T

And this...

Replica trader vic stickers, $1.50 each, $4.00 on bottle.

Basket light, $65.00

Both red color.

Replica tray $7.00

Kahiki table lamp replica wall hanging, $45.00

Awww Dave! How could ya rag on the Tiki Eyeball? We got great stories, we now know for SURE where the worst motel in the U.S is,got to meet the Cellar Dweller, and I had fried chicken in between my bed sheets! Priceless weekend! The fine folks at Festiki hired me to come down from Cleveland to carve, so I'll be finally getting to meet some of you. Sorry you won't be coming down Dave, you'd LOVE some of the new bumper stickers on the back of my 57 wagon.

I'll be there and I'm bringing the tribe. This is the first time my wife has been excited about my tiki obsession, but I think it's because she might get an excuse to shop.

I can't wait to check out what you have, tikiskip.

On 2009-08-13 04:16, YankeeAirPirate wrote:
I'll be there and I'm bringing the tribe. This is the first time my wife has been excited about my tiki obsession, but I think it's because she might get an excuse to shop.

I can't wait to check out what you have, tikiskip.

....and there it all is.

T

Ok here are a fewmore things.
This is not all of my stuff.
So stop by.

Skip Floats Sm red $40.00 Med green $45.00 Med red $45.00

T

What a great weekend!
I sold all but one light.
And a ton of other stuff.
Robb it was great to meet you and your wife.
Thank you for haning out with us, Great time!
Your velvets are the best!!!
Here are the Pic's

T

You know what I forgot the most important thing.
Thank you to all who bought my lights.
In these hard times I'm so flatered that you are
spending your money on my lights.
Thank you!!!

My wife and I had a great time. It was nice seeing a little taste of home. I really hope Festiki happens again next year. Maybe by then I'll have enough made to have my own booth. Until then, I'll keep carving.

FesTiki was a Kick ass time....Great bands, food, people, what Can I say.
And thanks to all that stoped by the Daddy Katz Booth !!

Pages: 1 32 replies