Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Kona Coffee liqueur

Pages: 1 9 replies

RB

Picked up a bottle yesterday for no other reason than it was inexpensive and I liked the bottle!

Did a side-by-side-by-side comparison with the TV, Tia Maria & Portland-distilled Edgefield coffee liqueur (I'm out of Kahlua). The TV is darker than the others, and has a stronger coffee smell and taste.

Again, I like the bottle's design...it looks great at the bar!

I'm not a coffee or Kahlua drinker.
but I got a bottle of this for my mom, and wow!!!

what a difference compared to the Kahlua.

Jeff(btd)

"what a difference compared to the Kahlua"

Better, worse, stronger?

Oooh! How much and where did you get it?
Coffee/pineapple is a classic combo!

I'll be in town next month, and will of course be bringing back my maximum allowance for alcohol.

RB

Better, worse, stronger?

IMHO, I like TV better than Kahlua...stronger coffee taste, but then again I like strong coffee.

Oooh! How much and where did you get it?
Coffee/pineapple is a classic combo!

I'll be in town next month, and will of course be bringing back my maximum allowance for alcohol.

Tikiwahine, it's $15 (w/ no sales tax here!), and it's fairly widely available at Oregon state-run liquor stores. You can check out http://www.oregonliquorsearch.com when you get down here and track it down.

I use this stuff instead of Kahlua in my "Mr. Bali Hai" drink recipe and it always gets wows from my guests. To me, it has more of an espresso taste than a coffee taste.

On 2009-07-21 14:24, MadDogMike wrote:

Better, worse, stronger?

stronger, more coffee tasting, and less sewer water looking.

A higher alcohol content, too. I quite like it.

seems this and the Macadamia Nut Liqueur from TV's are the only things left that they do well.

Jeff(btd)

G

I have a bottle of the Vic's and the Portland Edgefield coffee liqueurs and I've made my own from scratch with roasted coffee beans. The homemade was the best and had the strongest overall coffee flavor. The Edgefield is my second favorite with a nice smooth coffee flavor and not too sweet. Perfect for mixing. The Vic's is good, but quite sweet so you may have to back down on the simple syrup in drinks. But the Vic's definitely wins the prettiest bottle contest!

Tikiwahine, if you're coming into Portland, be sure to pick up both and compare.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2009-07-25 14:28 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies