Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Sharkeez, Stevens Point, WI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 replies

Name:Sharkeez
Type:bar
Street:956 Main St.
City:Stevens Point
State:WI
Zip:54481
Phone:

Description:
My father-in-law just sent me the following article from the Stevens Point Journal describing a new Tiki-themed bar that's scheduled to open downtown this Fall:

http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009907210488

Hard to get a good idea of what it's going to look like from the photo in the article. The new owner is from Arizona, so hopefully, he's at least been to the Trader Vic's and the Kon-Tiki. Apparently, the tiki bar is only on one floor, and the other two floors will be geared more towards UW-Point college students, which doesn't sound very promising, but I'll try to get over there for a look-see later this year when it's open.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2009-07-23 11:25 ]

If it's part of the Sharkeez chain out here in California, then it will probably be the antithesis of the type of tiki you're hoping for.

http://www.sharkeez.net/

Their slogan, "Premiere High Definition Sports Viewing Social Scene" encapsulates it nicely.

There will be a few brightly painted tikis out front. Inside there will be sand on the floors, loud rock & Buffet music blasting at night along with the TVs. Mexican food, margaritas, beer, cheap Hawaiian-punch-based rum drinks sold in large plastic sand-pails. If you're single and college-age, it's a great place for meeting members of the opposite sex.

That's my experience from the ones I've been to. Who knows? This one might be different? Someone's going to have to take a bullet for the team and go check it out.

On 2009-07-23 12:52, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
If it's part of the Sharkeez chain out here in California, then it will probably be the antithesis of the type of tiki you're hoping for.

I suspected that this might be part of a chain, and your description sounds exactly like the type of "tiki" bar I'd expect to find in a college town like Point, so I'm not terribly optimistic that this place will turn out to be the Forbidden Island of Central Wisconsin. Still, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Pages: 1 2 replies