Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Visiting with Huell Howser - Oceanic Arts August 12 @7:30

Pages: 1 31 replies

A8

I went to Oceanic Arts last week and was reminded that a repeat of Huell Howser's visit to Oceanic Arts will be rebroadcast on Wednesday August 12th. Here in Los Angeles it's on KCET. The episode is titled TIKI.

[ Edited by: Agent 86 2009-08-12 16:42 ]

[ Edited by: Agent 86 2009-08-12 16:44 ]

KNOCK KNOCK

is that you Max?

Mahalo for the heads up!

MT

I was searching around on good ol' Huell's website, and stumbled upon this here link that describes the episode:

http://www.calgold.com/visiting/Default.asp?Series=1300&Show=784

Visiting...With Huell Howser #1310 - TIKI

Huell heads to Whittier and finds a unique company that specializes in Polynesian decor. Carved wood tikis, thatch umbrellas and bamboo fencing are just a few of the items they have on hand, which look as though they've come directly from the South Pacific.

There's even a link to purchase the video, if anyone wants it bad enough:
https://secure2.convio.net/kpbs/site/Ecommerce?VIEW_PRODUCT=true&product_id=14950&store_id=1801&JServSessionIdr011=jpz6twm9r3.app14a

Thanks for posting. What time is the episode on Sunday? I tried to Tivo it and only found some other episodes. KCET, right? Is it "California's Gold", or "Visiting with Huel Howser"?

A8

I don't know the time yet but I will find out. It's on KCET Channel 8 in the Los Angeles area. It's Visiting with Huell Howser.

A8

Hi. I still cannot find the time for Visiting with Huell Howser. According to my cable guide Calgold is on which is not the in which he visited Oceanic Arts. Oceanic Arts said it was today but I'm not sure on which Channel. So...if anyone knows please tell...thanks!

A8

I just heard from Harry at Calgold.com that the episode is going to be broadcast on August 12th @ 7:30 on KCET. Sorry about the incorrect information but I was just relaying what was told to me.

A8

I hope everyone remember to watch Visiting with Huell Howser tomorrow since he's visiting Oceanic Arts.

Thanx for the reminder. :)

A8

You are very welcome! I think I may go there again next week.

TS

I always enjoy watching that episode! I had just gone last week, and now I want to find another excuse to go back....

I just love that place. I need to go back!

"I woke up in a tiki mood"

I think Huell took the short bus there that day!
He totally had to touch everything like an A.D.D. kid!

CJ

On 2009-08-12 21:23, Mongoloid wrote:
"I woke up in a tiki mood"

I think Huell took the short bus there that day!
He totally had to touch everything like an A.D.D. kid!

yeah Huell bugged big time

A8

He was kinda irritating. He was rough with some of the screens and grabbed that puffer fish lamp before it was even finished. I was waiting for it to come crashing dow.

is it just me,
or is it really hard to watch that episode?
man I so wish I could reach in the TV and slap Huell upside the head,
and say shut up and let them answer your questions.

grrrrrr.
Jeff(btd)

DZ

Yeah, HH really grates on my nerves as well. I actually took a California History class at CSUDH where watching and critiquing/commenting on episodes of "California's Gold" was 50% of the grade. I HAD to watch about 25 episodes, at least. Ugh!

But back to this episode: when HH is outside annoying Leroy as he carves (ooops! Gee, how did that chainsaw slip?), Leroy says that the tiki he's working on is "... for a restaurant in Huntington Beach". My question: which restaurant? Current pix?

Doc Z, I've seen that discussed here somewhere before about that exact tiki on HH...I can't seem to find it though! Its burried here somewhere.

Here's your laugh for the day:

Huell Howser Tripping

CJ

I always liked this. http://www.losanjealous.com/2006/09/07/huell-howser-the-drinking-game/

Maybe I'll bring my Huell milk jug to oasis to drink outta

On 2009-08-13 10:59, Coco Joe wrote:
I always liked this. http://www.losanjealous.com/2006/09/07/huell-howser-the-drinking-game/

That's great! :lol:

Thanks for the reminder, Agent 86.
I've been wanting to see this episode for some time & am glad to have finally caught it.
But, yeah, I'm certain that Huell's loud, grating voice will cause a string of murder-suicides at some point in the future... if they haven't already.

Bob demonstrated some impressive skill in managing Huell's A.D.D.-ridden run throughout the store.

DZ

On 2009-08-13 10:59, Coco Joe wrote:

So I go to the above link and I'm checking out the "HH Drinking Game" and I decide to scroll down a bit, to see what folks had to say about it, when I come across this post, made by 'Brandon' on 9/8/06 at 10:47 am:

"HH bought a Ray’s Mistake for me at Tiki Ti a few years ago when he discovered it was my birthday. He proceeded to invite me to his Palm Springs home and sit out by the pool with him and have a ‘rita, despite my girlfriend’s presence. Gave me his card with a hand written home number on the back. Were I one step closer to insanity, I might have taken him up on his offer. Imagine the look on his face when I show up to his “pool party” with my girlfriend. “Now, this is a guyyysss only par-tee. You’ll have to wait in the carrrr.”"

So, I guess HH gets in a "TeeKee Tee MooOOOoood", too!

Yep, 'Ol Huell has a name card up on the wall at the TeeKee Tee.

A8

He didn't shut up long enough to let Bob speak. Because of this there wasn't any information/education regarding Tiki for non-Tiki people to learn. It seems like all talk show hosts are more into hearing their own voices than they are of the people they interview.

H
DZ

(pssst.. Hiltiki... did you notice you posted the same link Unga posted?? I think it's HS who's trippin'! :P)

H

oy!!!

funny f'in shit there folks,
thanks for the laughs,
so when we getting together to do the drinking game?
:o

Jeff(btd)

TS

Huell was visiting a jojoba field and remarked about the simplistic tools and machinery used....He said "It isn't Rocket Surgery, but it works"....It just got to me, and I lost it..hahahahaha...Huell, it isn't Brain Science, either!

classic,
thanks for the Laugh Tom.

Jeff(btd)

This is a bit of a derail, but I've thought about this post over the last few years watching Huell on the Chapman archives.

I've not had the...courage?...to actually play this drinking game yet, but I have adapted some of the things from this link and added my own:

• Huell says, “wooooowwwwww…,” (not just a regular “wow”)
  • Huell says something obvious. E.g., “So the people of the town would bring their mail right here to this post office?”
  • Huell addresses his cameraman. E.g., “Look at this, Louie/Troy/Cameron.”
  • Huell says, “That’s amazing!”
  • Huell uses the word “historic” or “history”
  • Huell shakes a person’s hand and doesn’t let go for an uncomfortable amount of time
  • Huell touches something he shouldn’t touch
  • An interviewee replies, “Absolutely,” to something Huell says

Pages: 1 31 replies