Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Luau Beverly Hills is closed.

Pages: 1 46 replies

M

Can't believe I'm apparently the first to post this, but perhaps that says something about how often TCers went there.

Apologies if this sounds self serving, but please support your local tiki bar. I do appreciate that this one was on the spendy side.

I tried to go on Friday last week, and found it locked tight. Never got a chance to see it. :(

CJ

wwwwhhhaat!?!

Never got a chance to see it. :(

Darn, me too! I was looking so forward to checking it out during an upcoming LA trip!!

doh!!!

On 2009-07-26 18:41, martiki wrote:
Can't believe I'm apparently the first to post this, but perhaps that says something about how often TCers went there.

Apologies if this sounds self serving, but please support your local tiki bar. I do appreciate that this one was on the spendy side.

I tried to go on Friday last week, and found it locked tight. Never got a chance to see it. :(

I went there alright. I think I might have even taken some pictures for my journal; however, it doesn't surprise me that it went under. Yes, the Pearl Diver was spot on and so were a few of the other drinks.

It was pricey, but then again, it was Beverly HIlls. What it was missing was a certain something - a unique vibe that would set it a part from other places. I just didn't see it. Face it, there aren't enough TC'ers in any one location to keep a place open just on a few drinks and its name. This simply wasn't the Luau of old.

On 2009-07-26 21:14, telescopes wrote:
This simply wasn't the Luau of old.

Now this quote could start a whole interesting discussion ! :)

Bad timing, to open a year before the recession. Everybody probably just went there once to check it out, and that was it. My condolences.

P

It was a really great place. Excellent food, wonderful drinks, exotic atmosphere. But just too expensive to go there more than a couple of times a year, if that. I'm glad I was able to make it there at least once.

Based on my last trip to Don the Beachcomber, I don't think I'll miss the Luau too much. The food is almost as good, the drinks as good (maybe better) and a much more "tiki" experience all around.

On 2009-07-26 21:19, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2009-07-26 21:14, telescopes wrote:
This simply wasn't the Luau of old.

Now this quote could start a whole interesting discussion ! :)

It could. I enjoyed the Luau, but I found myself wondering what it was missing given that it used its name to make a certain connection.

For me, a tiki restaurant is defined by the presence of what I can only refer to as quantum particals or elements. Like quarks, they can only be described as a "strange charm or flavor" if you will pardon the metaphor.

More so than a tiki bar, a tiki restaurant needs

1. Earth, i.e. lava rock, moai,
    2.. Wind, i.e. exotica music,
  2. A water feature - i.e. waterfall, indoor rain, fountain,
  3. A fire feature - this could be a mini hibatchi, torches, fire pit, etc.
  4. Whimsical gods and terrifying beasts, i.e. tikis and mugs
  5. Astronomcal layout and other temple fundamentals, i.e. tapa cloth, bamboo trimmings,
  6. Magic potions and other communal brews.
  7. Sacraficial meals of outstanding tastes all arranged exoticly,
  8. Appropriately dressed ambassadors of the religion, i.e think how the Old Beverly Hills Trader Vics servers used to dress,
  9. Eye candy, plain and simple, i.e. nets outriggers, glass bulbs, war clubs, etc.

This formula works and has mass appeal.

I can think of a certain chain that has embraced certain aspects of this list and is doing quite well.

Oh telescopes, you're so "old style", so, so ....Tiki Puritan, one might say! :D

Sorry, Tele, I am putting you on here, and I can't do it any longer. You are coming a little late to the table here -we had fun with this for a loooong time, right after it opened:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic=27025&forum=1&start=165

This will put you smack-dab in the middle of the discussion, if you care to read it, so you don't have to start at the beginning. You will see that my reply to your post above is really satirizing the response I had been getting a lot for my attempts to deliver a differentiated critique of the place.

I am always willing and ready to explain my view again, but feel that it would, under the present circumstances, really be like flogging a dead horse.

T

Thats too bad . Ben did a lot of incredible work there .

I cannot believe it closed that quickly! Wow!

T

More so than a tiki bar, a tiki restaurant needs

1. Earth, i.e. lava rock, moai,
    2.. Wind, i.e. exotica music,
  2. A water feature - i.e. waterfall, indoor rain, fountain,
  3. A fire feature - this could be a mini hibatchi, torches, fire pit, etc.
  4. Whimsical gods and terrifying beasts, i.e. tikis and mugs
  5. Astronomcal layout and other temple fundamentals, i.e. tapa cloth, bamboo trimmings,
  6. Magic potions and other communal brews.
  7. Sacraficial meals of outstanding tastes all arranged exoticly,
  8. Appropriately dressed ambassadors of the religion, i.e think how the Old Beverly Hills Trader Vics servers used to dress,
  9. Eye candy, plain and simple, i.e. nets outriggers, glass bulbs, war clubs, etc.

This formula works and has mass appeal.

I can think of a certain chain that has embraced certain aspects of this list and is doing quite well.

Rainforest Cafe? They have at least 8 on this list.

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2009-07-27 08:48 ]

M
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.