Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Oasis Hawaiian shirt Swap 6pm-7pm room 1503 friday!

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

In the honor of tiki Kate and her vast collection of shirts, I was wondering if anyone would like to do a Hawaiian shirt trade/swap at Oasis. Kate said she is only there for a day but thought it was a good idea.

I have a large collection of Large and extra large shirts and some in smaller sizes. I thought this might be fun when I saw Kate's posts on all her shirts, if interested please post here and we can plan from there , thanks

If you wont be at Oasis and want to attend, I am sure we can make an online component.

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-07-28 11:11 ]

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-08-12 10:27 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 3:03 PM

Hi Amy -

I'm interested in this idea. I can swap maybe a couple dozen shirts in Medium to Large.

Make this clear: Aloha shirt = Hawaiian/POLYNESIAN graphics etc / NO CARIBBEAN IMAGERY
Tiki shirt = Tikis must be represented graphically on the shirt

I've seen way too many shirts (for example eBay) described as a "tiki" shirt with no tiki graphics anywhere. Mostly tapa patterns or the like. This slightly pisses me off :)

Keep me in the loop.

thanks tikiG, I hope we get some more people.....lol it could be fun, I have many many shirts

Amy

T

Amy,
This sounds great. I have a few shirts I'd like to trade. I'll be looking for more details. Maybe we should all post pictures & let the trades begin.
Thanks, Mike

thanks TP, lets see how many join then we can discuss how to proceed. We could an a swap right here onlinefor those who don't go to Oasis as well. this could be fun!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-07-28 11:12 ]

Sounds really swell. Not sure how the logistics of a 'swap' would work, but I really like the idea. Would be a very good idea to check with Tiki O and/or the already established vendors to make sure it is approached in the correct way and thru the proper channels I would think....

-Drew
http://www.facebook.com/drewgroove

[ Edited by: drewgroove 2009-07-28 23:48 ]

I've got a Dos XX hawaiian that I need to swap for a Hinano hawaiian

(to match my PJ's) to get into the Smuglers Cove gig...

I have a box full of hawaiian shirts, women's sizes S-XL and one or two men's. Count me in! None of them have tiki's though :(

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 9:51 AM

Amy -

First off, I must say it was nice to hang out with you and Ray last night at Kirby's Rumpus Room.

Sorry! I should have talked to you about this shirt swap stuff..it completely slipped my mind last night. Anyway, I have a room booked at Tiki Oasis, I'm sure we all do, and I'm thinking how about hosting shirt swaps live in our rooms sometime during the four day event. We can all take turns?..you know, an hour or two each (or something like that.)
I know I don't want to do that all day long bit little nips here and there is workable.

For those that can't make it to San Diego, we can still post a few shirts here on this thread.

What'ya think?

hi, great seeing you last night as well, Kirby and polly are very gracious hosts! and Kelly is a great mixologist!

On the shirt swap, I like the idea and if we do it it first at oasis then we will have a better idea how to do it online. works for me...

Amy

I have a few to swap - One location one time for an hour or 2 (at most) and if no swaps work out correctly try for a best offer or trade for a mug or drink. Since your are bringing the shirt to get rid of you probably won't care what happens to it afterwards whether its swapped for a shirt or a mug or necklace or $$$$???? - Plus others could visit that way and maybe after the first hour or so its just a best offer thing.

Either way I'm in to it - bringing a few shirts to a location and meeting some people and hoping to get a new piece for my wardrobe. Heck why not even post a few pics of what you are thinking of swapping here in this post?!

thanks for thinking of this let me know if I can help.
maybe during the room crawl this could work???? Hard to say?

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 2:29 PM

Personally I don't care if I swap shirt for shirt, shirt for mug, shirt for art, shirt for ?

It's a SWAP! Whatever makes both parties happy...

Since I don't know what room number I'm booked into, yet, I can't give everyone a heads up as to date, room, time etc that I can do a shirt swap. It'll probably be a last minute thing and I'll post cards around Tiki Oasis, word of mouth, that kind of thing. You know how it goes sometimes even with the best planning. I'm gonna keep this a loose thing.

Can't wait to meet more tiki peeps, and this shirt swap sounds like a cool deal, man!
Oasis is THE event of the year!

Anyone else have ideas?

B

i am so in!

i keep ordering vintage hawaiians online and they are always too small for my largish beer-belly.

i will have a box full of never-worns perfect for non-fat-asses!

Uncle Toesy

I have same problem as Big Toe (so maybe we shouldn't trade with each other!) regardless I'll bring some trades fo sure

ok, I will have a suite at 1503, maybe we can pick a time on Friday or Saturday, we can have shirts, mugs pendants, whatever anyone wants to bring. what time do we think is best?

Amy

S
squid posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 1:38 AM

Friday would be great so us vendor types can getin on the action :D

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 2:15 PM

I vote for Friday..after my early morning swim. 11:00am to noon?

K

Friday works for me! Should we prepost photos? Or should it be a surprize?

Friday works I will have the suite Friday unless someone else wants to host, I vote we keep the trades a surprise.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 7:21 AM

I' likey surprises too!

ok, Do we agree to allow mugs and pendants as trade well ? I am ok with it but We should all agree.

I will have suite 1503 after check in Friday.

Amy

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 11:57 AM

I will trade shirts for mugs and pendants..I will have no mugs or pendants to trade though..those are my current collecting manias. So there you go, bring me mugs and pendants!

Thanks Amy for Friday's swap-time.

T

I decided to go ahead and do the full Oasis weekend. I'll start going through my closet over the next few days to see what I'm willing to part with. :D

in the words of Karen....wooooohoooo! sorry couldn't resist!

That's great kate, glad you'll be there!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-08-05 17:50 ]

Will this be trade only, or will cash be accepted?

Seriously, I only have one real shirt, and I'm not swapping it!

T

Bring tikis, Bill. :D

I figured there's no time like the present, so I pulled all of the tiki shirts out of my closet and separated them by color. Blue was the winner at 23 inches of shirts. Brown/cream/tan was a close second with 18.5 inches.

My closet is currently breathing a heavy sigh of relief.

So is it decided, swap only? It might be hard to be able to exactly swap with a person who then has something you would also want. Or is it like a group donation that then allows one to partake of said swapping. Is there going to be cash sales allowed? Or is that not in the spirit of what is going on with this....
Just wondering, thanks!

wow kate, cool pile!I

I agree, we will allow trades for other tiki stuff so if you have, bring it!!!

Amy

On 2009-08-05 17:50, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
in the words of Karen....wooooohoooo! sorry couldn't resist!

Amy
[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-08-05 17:50 ]

Can't wait to see you at Oasis Amy. I will see if Soccer has any Aloha Shirts to bring :)

Friday be good.. Trade shirt for whatevers (tiki like)

S
squid posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 4:10 PM

Is there a set time? Or did I miss it in the thread somewhere...

no time, will post a few times when I know I have the suite set...stay tuned!

Amy

T

Looks like I'll be bringing about 16 shirts in a variety of sizes. All of them have tikis. So much for packing light this year. :)

lol Kate, I went thru all of mine and I have about the same maybe a few more.....ok everyone, we have lots of shirts to trade and swap!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-08-06 22:50 ]

I'd like to get in, too.

On 2009-08-03 01:38, squid wrote:
Friday would be great so us vendor types can get in on the action :D

Oh, make sure you come by, squid, I found a shirt I want to GIVE you.

picture of the pile of my shirts for trade

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 7:27 AM

Aloha -

Yesterday I packed 30 shirts for trade. Sorry, I didn't snap a shot. Trust me, there's something for everyone here.

All men's - 1960s thru modern - all colors - sizes medium thru extra large. Some tiki, some surfing. All aloha.

Patiently counting down the hours until Friday. See all of you later this week.

do we know when the vending is over? we should make it after that so Squid and the vendors can come by, my suite is 1503....lets get a time going

Amy

S
squid posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 5:39 PM

On 2009-08-08 09:24, Haole'akamai wrote:
I'd like to get in, too.

On 2009-08-03 01:38, squid wrote:
Friday would be great so us vendor types can get in on the action :D

Oh, make sure you come by, squid, I found a shirt I want to GIVE you.

EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

S
squid posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 5:40 PM

On 2009-08-10 17:36, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
do we know when the vending is over? we should make it after that so Squid and the vendors can come by, my suite is 1503....lets get a time going

Amy

No vending on Friday!!! Any time is cool.

I think that Friday evening might work best.

We can do evenings, great idea Kate, we should do it before we open the suite, so maybe 6-7 pm and bring your trades whatever they are! Room 1503

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-08-11 20:42 ]

WooHoo and I will be there with shirts in hand!!!

bump

Here are a few of the tikis on the shirts that I'm bringing.

Im there actually at hotel now I have a few shirts that I do not plan going home with will trade for shirts or. I brought a bunch of hang tags for my shirts as ids and a bunch of Extra tags for others call em toe tags if u like. Any way see you fri eve Im on second floor

I'll be there with several shirts!

well the shirt trade was a big success we had about 15 traders and some lookers who just needed shirts. TikiKate was outfitting all the boys with her vintage shirt, even if they didnt have a trade. (very nice kate!) everyone did well from what I saw.

Thanks to all who attended!

Amy

Pages: 1 2 51 replies