Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Not my craigslist but do you recognize and of these records?

Pages: 1 8 replies

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/clt/1294405939.html

And what about these mugs as well? Is this a valuable purchase?

Hi Tikitees,

It looks like this seller is pricing them right around normal eBay prices, so no great deal.

I find all those albums for a dollar each pretty frequently out here in California - not sure how often they show up in Oklahoma. They're common, but the "Quiet Village","Exotica", & "Bahia" are iconic Exotica albums and a good start to a collection. The others are common Hawaiian lps. Again, the $15 price is about how much a lot like that would sell on eBay.

The mugs are the most common ones out there - Tiki Leilanis. A set of 8 of anything is nice though, and they're good to serve drinks in. Here's a set of eight that sold recently on eBay for $35.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380131333816&category=29460

Common stuff in nice condition. Priced fair but no big bargain.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-28 23:40 ]

I'd agree with Sabu - no great shakes, but I'd also say you won't find much cheaper in Texas (and I look all OVER Texas). I'd suspect Oklahoma would only be a hair cheaper (unless you get out to the little towns, but are they gonna have tiki?)

The albums listed I find for a dollar all over (but I hunt a LOT), and the cheapest I find the Leilanis is $2 a piece. $2.50 a piece is a good price in Texas. (California/Sabu is spoiled ROTTEN!!!). I automatically buy any Leilani I see for $2 to have for parties.

So I'd say that the 8 albums (2 being minty Denny's) and 8 mugs for $30 is not bad at all (again, for Texas. You stinkin' Californians with your "Oh, look at the Steve Cranes I found at a garage sale for $.50" make me SICK! :lol:)
If I didn't already have all of those albums (some in duplicate and triplicate), I'd probably go for it myself....if I lived in Oklahoma.
F

$30.00 is probably LESS than you would spend on gas driving around to flea market/garage sales in a month to find less.
just my opinion,I could be wrong.

Seeing that the questioner was not aware of these seminal Exotica albums makes it worth for the education alone. :)

Formikahini is right - I do have a skewed sense of value because I am spoiled rotten out here in California. Doctor Z and I will sometimes even pass up a Leilani (gasp!) for 50 cents at a garage sale, (though in general, we hate to leave tikis in the wild).

And I agree with David - if your primary concern is with value and efficiency of time, then you would waste a lot more than $30 in gas to find these at garage sales and thrift stores and you'll probably never find eight Leilanis all in one place.

But if you have a bit of the Collector in your blood, then The Hunt is everything! You can put no monetary value on the the thrill of finding these things in the wild. My friend Doctor Z and I "waste" a good six hours every Saturday at garage and estate sales just hunting for old things we collect, and it's my favorite part of the week. (The fact that we're also hunting for stuff to sell on eBay makes it a little more socially acceptable :) ). From what I know of Formikahini and Tiki David, I suspect they're inveterate hunters themselves. Why else would Formikahini have doubles and triples of these lps unless she found some fun in re-discovering each one when she came across it at a thrift store.

Of course, you can also "hunt" on eBay and Craigslist. But as I'm sure Tiki David will tell you, some of the thrill of this kind of hunt is when you find rare things for a bargain or come across something mis-labeled or hidden and you're astute enough to take advantage of it. I'm guessing he gets a little more pleasure from finding a Witco Tiki on Craigslist for $20 then he does for $200.

And so here I've gone and spoiled it for you, tikitees, buy discounting these records and tikis as "pretty common". Shame on me! :wink: I've been collecting this stuff for over a decade now and I forget what it's like to be new to this field, so forgive me. In fact, seeing that "Bahia" lp in the listing got me nostalgic. That was the very first Exotica album I ever found at a garage sale, back in the early 1990s, and it blew my mind as much as the first Hendrix lp I ever listened to. I thought I had "re-discovered" this whole new genre of atmospheric jungle-music on my own and immediately made cassette copies of it and sent them to all of my friends, (a few of whom "got it" like me, but most of whom immediately taped over it with REM.)

So my altered advice is: Definitely don't be ashamed to buy this lot to give you a good start to a collection - they're priced more than fair - but keep learning about tiki mugs and the Exotica records from this site, and most of all - have fun hunting them.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-07-29 12:49 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 2:00 PM

That stuff would cost you about $400 here - if you could find it! You guys don't know how lucky you are...

T

Thanks all for the great comments and advice. I'm thinking I'll be contacting this person quickly and adding to my very novice collection. All of your comments really helped. All of them except Paipo's whose was really just depressing. :)

I'll add that the Bahia album is one of my very favorite to listen to.

Pages: 1 8 replies