Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

R.I.P. 4.10.03 Johnny Ltd #58 of 99

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

Well, it happened to me. I was hanging some fishing nets across my ceiling yesterday, I moved my Munktiki Johnny Ltd #58 of 100 mug off the shelf so I wouldn't knock it off. As I'm sure it's happened to others, the rest is a blank. I can just see the mug falling in slow motion & me not being able to catch him in time. The sound was an empty hollow pop, then it was over. I Krazy glued him, but it's not the same. I always thought my kid was gonna break the first one.

B

Peace be with you.

TG~
Uggh! That can hurt! It looks like that mug can be part of the disposal at International Tiki Day. See this post, 9th message down, for a reminder of what I mean.

T

Some suggestions from other TC's on how to display/secure mugs would be beneficial because I know that it is only a matter of time before the same will happen to me. I would really love to hear from the California TC's I figure they would have the technology down.

tiki410,
Two of the popular methods of securing tiki mugs include earthquake putty and/or fishing wire.

Earthquake putty (also known as Museum putty) can be found at Home Depot for about $3-$4 per pack. Each pack can hold approx 100 mugs. You only need to apply a small amount to the bottom of a mug to give it traction. It doesn't stain and wipes off easily.

The fishing wire method is used by running one line of fishing wire across the front of the mugs. This provides a type of "handrail" so the mugs don't slide off the shelf.

I lost my Munktiki "Princess Pua" on Saturday. I opened the cupboard and crash, I know she wasn't Johnny, but I loved her just the same. She's waiting for her proper burial on the second Saturday in August! Ummm, what is the proper way of disposing broke mugs?

On 2003-04-11 11:28, PolynesianPop wrote:
The fishing wire method is used by running one line of fishing wire across the front of the mugs. This provides a type of "handrail" so the mugs don't slide off the shelf.

You can also anchor your mugs with fishing line. Tie a piece of line to make a tight loop around the narrowest part of the mug, then tie 3-4 pieces of line with one end tied to the loop and the other end tied to screweyes in your shelf. I've seen this done in museums around here.

--cyn

T

The earthquake putty sounds like a good option. Never heard of it before (never seen it before I wonder if it is a regional thing since we don't get earthquakes in NO).

Turbogod,

Consider your loss an offering to the Tiki Gods. DawnTiki is right. All deconstructed items of tiki are to be properly disposed of on (big music) "INTERNATIONAL TIKI DAY", the 2nd Saturday in August!

It's not so much 'how' you dispose of them on that sacred day, but rather your frame of mind 'when' you dispose of them (I heard Dr. Phil say that). We'll come up with the details later.

E

On 2003-04-11 21:17, Tiki_Bong wrote:
It's not so much 'how' you dispose of them on that sacred day, but rather your frame of mind 'when' you dispose of them

That's to say, well and truly s***faced, I hope?...

:), em

E

P.S. sorry Turbogod, believe me I'm not trying to get a laugh at your expense here...you have my sympathy.

aloha,
emspace.

T

Oh I'm oK eM. I can HandlE it.

What a trying time for you...first the death of a beloved Munktiki mug then the birth of a beautiful girl...my heart goes out to you! :)

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Lanai in exotic Bel Air MD!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2003-04-14 12:08 ]

T

You know the old saying....Lose a mug, gain a Daughter. I didn't either.

All is well in the land of pleasant living. I will drop of Johnny LTD. #77 of 100 Monday or Tuesday night. So you can remove Johnny Krazy Glue from the wall of Fame.

Powerofthetiki

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2003-04-20 20:43 ]

T

POTT is a stand up guy. Feeling my pain he's trading me one of my Mark Thomas Outriggers for his Johnny LTD. True friendship.

TG, did you happen to get pics of your broken mug? Perhaps you can add them to my Tiki Mug Misfortunes post!

T

All Hail ThePoweroftheTiki for trading his Johnny Ltd for a mark Thomas Outrigger. I don't think POTT had much faith in me though as the mug was wrapped with the entire Baltimore CityPaper. Thanks again Carroll.

Pages: 1 17 replies