Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the OTHER hukilau

Pages: 1 4 replies

R
Rain posted on Fri, Apr 11, 2003 9:54 AM

these are from a trip to key west a year and a half ago. i found them while digging around for something to put in a frame. i don't think this place is even there anymore.

T

I went there about 3 years ago and had drinks. The inside decor was more tropical than tiki, but pleasant with a nice split-level layout. Had so-so drinks in tiki mugs but didn't try the food. Wanted to return later for the piano bar entertainment but didn't make it back because we only had one day in Key West.

Sadly, I returned with mrsmiley and others a year ago to find a sign "closed for remodeling". We were taking pictures when we ran into the previous owner picking up his mail. He said he lost so much money since 9/11 that he was forced to sell it. He said the new owner planned to turn it into a sports bar! The terrorists strike again!

I have pictures that I can post later.

R
Rain posted on Fri, Apr 11, 2003 12:40 PM

I remember you telling that story now on some Florida thread a while back. I was sad at the time, and it still makes me sad.

Here's a fun fantasy: imagine every sports bar in the US was changed into a tiki bar!

rain

S

I've been there too! Have almost those exact same pictures! Only it was about 4 years ago, and it was in the morning, so we didn't get to go in either. Shame that it's going away. Fooey.
Pea

Hey! Can you guys relink your photos?

Andy and I went there one night on our first trip to Key West and it was apparently their last night. When we went back the next evening they were closed. And I don't mean closed with a sign, I mean closed with a padlock on the door and sale sign in the window.

We weren't traveling with a camera for some strange reason so I am hoping I can see your pictures.

Pages: 1 4 replies