Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Spam on TC

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

Due to the recent amount of spam lately I thought I'd repost this from Hanford back on 08/01/2009

Do:

Report it to a Moderator, via a PM or email. Include a link to the topic, if not to the post itself, and the username.

Don't:

Don't feed the spammers or rubberneck. Treat out-of-the-blue spam on TC like you do in your email -- just ignore it. Posting a comment to it only bumps it up to the top so more people end up clicking on it. If it's spam in an existing topic, again just ignore it. Posting replying to it or talking about it in a legit topic just further derails the conversation and creates a bigger distraction for people who are desperately trying to keep things on-topic.

Spam is hard to deal with. Tiki Central isn't optimized for removing spam once it's on the site. I wish it were a one-click-to-remove thing, but it's several steps on a per-post basis, and sometimes we can't get to it until hours after it's been posted. Moderators don't have the power to ban or delete users, so I'm the only one who can do that. Perhaps one day I can create a one-click-removes-all-posts-from-a-user button that would make it easier for me to remove them than it is for them to create them, but until then, we're just stuck with occasionally having to deal with a half-dozen or so spam posts on the site for a few hours.

Thanks

Thanks, we all appreciate the work you do to keep it clean.

It's been a long time since I registered, but is there any sort of captcha or something to prevent bots from registering?

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-02-20 19:27 ]

[i]On 2014-02-20 14:41, Bora Boris wrote:

Do:
Report it to a Moderator, via a PM or email.

I probably oughta know who they are, but I don't. Can you list them?

Bill, Bora Boris and Hakalugi are both active, they respond very quickly if you PM them

Pages: 1 2 51 replies