Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Diners, Drive Ins and Dives

Pages: 1 11 replies

C

I just watched a great episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

They went to an authentic Hawaiian place called Bobby's Hawaiian Style Restaurant in Everett WA. The place and food looked like a downhome Hawaiian dive. They made all the classics and the food looked great.

Just when I thought it couldn't get better they went to a tiki joint called Psyco Suzie's Motor Lounge on 2519 Marshall Street NEMinneapolis, MN 55418. The food looked great they had lots of tikis in the place and the walls were all lined with tiki mugs the drinks looked good and the food looked great too.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2009-08-01 18:05 ]

I love that show!! Damn, I missed that one, but they rerun them so often, I'll catch it..

M

I've been to Psycho Suzy's a couple of times. Their food is very good, but the drinks are only so-so. The waitstaff tends to be on the tragic hipster side, so the service can be slow and surly as well. The ambiance is kind of a cross between tiki, punk, and rockabilly.

CL

We love that show but are cable free at the moment, so I am reading this thread enviously. Thanks for posting this.

Oh man, I love that show! I actually graduated from UNLV the same year as Guy. We had several classes
togher as we had the same major. That has to be the best job ever. It looks like he's gained
50 lbs since the show started.

So what do you think is the deal with the red Camero that he always drives to these dives? Do they truck that thing all over the country? Do they just rent a red ragtop Camero locally (I'm sure there's plenty around)?

On 2009-08-02 11:01, MadDogMike wrote:
So what do you think is the deal with the red Camero that he always drives to these dives? Do they truck that thing all over the country? Do they just rent a red ragtop Camero locally (I'm sure there's plenty around)?

It's got to be on a production truck. That car is too nice to be putting that kind of highway miles on it.

BK

There's no way he's driving that CAMARO around the country.

Article about Guy Fieri from Motor Trend...should answer the question:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0806_guy_fieri_celeb_drive/index.html

It seems every time you turn the TV on the Food Network, Guy Fieri and his spikey blond hair, tattoos, and jewelry is everywhere.

Lately, he's popped up on TGI Fridays commercials. And although he is in Food Network's "Ultimate Recipe Showdown" and the cooking show, "Guy's Big Bite," with his testosterone-infused cooking style, Fieri logs the most miles on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," where he drives a red 1967 Chevy Camaro Super Sport convertible to mom-and-pop stops around the country.

But first he wants to make it clear, when asked if he has a Mustang: "No, no, no, no," he says, quickly. "I'm only a Chevy guy. Very clearly understood -- there's no Ford going on. Okay?"

When you call his cell, one of the ring back tones you hear is, appropriately, Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55." Although his nickname is "Guido" he also calls himself a "car junkie."

"It's funny, because out here in California, you don't have Italian, blonde haired-tattooed guys with earrings that you'd call Guido -- really doesn't fit the general stereotype," he says.

**For fans who wonder -- yes, Fieri does actually drive the show's convertible on nice days between shoots, and they shoot two weeks each month to bring viewers to those out-of-the-way dives.

"The longest drive I've taken -- from Seattle down to Portland, took that drive in, it was awesome," Fieri recalls. "The gas is expensive but the tan is free."**

On the phone, Fieri is animated, injecting car-rev sounds sometimes to illustrate a point. You get the feeling he could also do standup if he just had the time.

He was born in Columbus, Ohio, and his parents moved out to Whittier, California, when he was six months of age. Later, they settled in Ferndale, in Humboldt County. "What's up with that?" he asks rhetorically, referring to his parents' choice on where he was born. "There just could've been the brief opportunity of being born in California, I'm such a California kid now. What are you doing to me?"

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2009-08-02 18:04 ]

H

Actually tiki-riviera I think the best job ever (drinking) award goes to the guy on "three sheets!" He flew around the world, got totally wasted o the local hooch price no object; then got to try the local hangover cures.

B

Actually "Three Sheets" lives! It is now on Fine Living Network, if you're one of the lucky ones to have that in yer cable package. Check out new episodes and get info about past ones @ http://www.zanelamprey.com.

Aloha!

T

Since most of us on here like a little history, postcards, matchbooks and these cool diners (whether they're Tiki or not) I saw this book that maybe some of you might be interested in. I thought this thread might be a good place to put it.
Mahalo, TabooDan

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=8468134&utm_source=ChannelIntelligence&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&promoCode=SHOPPING&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=18-39286311-2

Pages: 1 11 replies