Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Too good 2 B True or Don't sell if you can't lose it!

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

Well I though I made out on a major score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21192&item=2315509628&rd=1
that was until the seller tried to recoup his loss by trying to charge me $245 in shipping. That my friends sucks. Any TCers in the area want to try and pick it up for me and I'll send the money to ship it correctly? That is, if this guy goes for it.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-04-11 16:09 ]

For that price you could probably fly there and at least have a vacation!

T

Amen on that. Oddly enough they haven't responded back since they gave me a total, and I pointed out several shipping options under $90.

TurboGod~
I did a little investigating on price, and here's what I found out.

Keep in mind
~I am in Southern California, and not Northern California, where this item is at.
~The quote is from MailBoxes Etc., so to get a better price (up to 20% less), one would need to go direct to a UPS shipping center.
~I used the ship to zip code as 21220 (near you) from 92646 (my zip).

UPS Ground: $59.72
3 Day: $110.62
2 Day: $151.93

That is based on a PACKAGE being 46"x24"x12". Remember, this STILL needs to be boxed so when I had the local MailBoxes Etc. try the measurements of 50"x30"x15", it came up as "not applicable" since it was too large for UPS to take. So, unless this shelving unit breaks down to less than the width, height and length of its finished size, it looks like it may have to go by freight, thus, probably justifying the sellers shipping price, since it most likely includes professional packing too.

Hope this info helps.

Shippin'CaddyDaddy

Does TikiFarm still sell this shelf? You could check with them and see what they charge for shipping it...

T

I thought about it, but I don't want bother Holden since I am not buying it from him. I bought the bar from Krypton last year. I came in 3 huge boxes and only cost 150 to ship from CA to MD.

that is bull,that is a rip off. I've shipped tikis around 150 lbs 6 feet tall and fed ex ground is by far the best rates.check them out ...

TurboGod, or you could try Priority Mail from USPS. They're cheap but there is a weight limit.

JungleTrader~
This item, as is, is too big for USPS. The $59.72 UPS ground isn't too bad. This isn't a small piece, but does require careful packing.

T

Well the seller hasn't gotten back to me since yesterday. We'll see I guess. I can live without the piece. I certainly am not going to pay $435 for something used that I could buy from Tiki Farm or Krypton new for $30 bucks more.

Hey Turbo God-

I watched that for sale and I saw your name on it, figuring you were probably ready and willing to pop it up much higher (as it was still way under the Tiki Farm price w/OUT the shipping), so I didn't bid against you. And now, man, what a headache! I'm crossing my fingers for you that you can get it to you for a decent price.

I've been buying up a storm on Ebay dresses (since I can write 'em all off as "Stage Costumes" for my new exotica band - yyyYes!), and the variance in pricing for S&H for a single dress is aMAZing: from $3.85 for 2 day priority mail to $8.00 for, um, who knows! Gas money? Separation anxiety from their old dress?

Good luck, Pumpkin!

T

I hate sellers who try to gouge you on the shipping! I always charge the least amount possible for shipping (in fact, I usually take a loss) because I figure it's the right thing to do, and will also encourage people to bid on my items as opposed to someone who charges more to ship. So I tend to get really P.O.'d when some seller tries to charge me some seemingly crazy and random shipping cost.

I also tend not to bid on anything that doesn't give me a shipping charge up front.

On 2003-04-13 17:44, Formikahini wrote:
I've been buying up a storm on Ebay dresses (since I can write 'em all off as "Stage Costumes" for my new exotica band - yyyYes

Formikahini,

Be careful when filing your taxes. As a CPA (no shit), I would have to advise you that you are only reducing your 'taxable' income by the amount of an item (dress), you do not get back the entire amount, but rather a percentage depending upon your tax bracket.

Also, your band may have to be your sole source of income, which may require some articles of incorporation or partnership filing.

Remember, Al Capone didn't go to prison for all the violent acts he had committed, but rather for income tax evasion.

Now back to the usual Tiki Bong Bafoonery...

T

Formikahini,
Thanks for the TC comradery. While the situation started off kind of negative. I did end up getting the shelf, paid a little more than I think I should've, but I got the shelf for still a less then I could have. The Tiki torches that were on the the top pushed the shelf out of UPS shipping dimensions. After the great Sunday I had http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3356&forum=1&8
nothing else could go wrong. Definately got me asking for a shipping quote prior to a Ebay bid now though.

Pages: 1 13 replies