Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Moai Kavakava figure

Pages: 1 15 replies

Ahoy All~

Loooong time since I've posted, but the chisels haven't been quite as dormant.. Here are some pics of a recently finalizing Kavakava figure. He stands approximately 8 inches tall, carved from Mahogany..

From wikipedia:
These figures originate from Rapa Nui (Easter Island). The name Moai kavakava is formed from moai for the monumental monolithic human figures found on Easter Island and the word kavakava meaning ribs. Little is known about the cultural context of these figures although they are generally considered to be representations of ancestors. It is believed these figures were worn hanging around the neck of the men who took part in the ritual dances during public ceremonies.

T

ooh, nice figure. In the first photo, it even looks authentically old... great job. Flawless!

C

Great Kava Kava. Your homework paid-off in a wonderful piece, congratulations!

MN

Argghhhh, Capt'n, fine workmanship Sir!

L
laojia posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 8:48 PM

During summer where I taking my time, enjoying the sun, et cetera, the others working! Here I am doubled in beauty! :o :D :o The sun is so rare here that mine sleep a little ...

Very nice carve Capt'n'Skully! I will try to do as well...

J.

Skully, good to see and hear from you. The kavakava is one of the strangest, creepiest, and thus of course coolest tiki figures around. You've pulled him off to a "T"!

M

Your carving is looking so incredibly authentic...wow! For me this a 10 out of 10.

B

Most Excellent Kava-Kava guy Skully, How did you DO that? That piece takes Utmost skill and care as well as Daring to do it in the first place. You have been Practicing in your absence I can tell and this piece Shows it. Very Well done so far! How you going to finish him?

Damn, Skully...you know-I've always wanted to carve one of those but you beat me to it! Very dead-on job. Nice work!

C

Wow, amazing carving, perfect!

Man, you did such a great job on that kavakava figure. I want to try one of those too one day. I like how you did the ear plugs.

Craig

S

Great work! Glad someone finally tackled this, and as a reproduction. Fanrasric!

B

Holy Crap!! That is awesome.

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-17 00:05 ]

eye capt! it is a beautiful carve. will you be oiling up the old man or staining? can't wait to see what you decide to do.

bd

Hell ya! good job looks fantastic!

Pages: 1 15 replies