Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Anyone know where to score bigger sized lava rocks on the cheap?

Pages: 1 12 replies

TS

I'm going to be in the market for lava rock to build a backyard fountain/waterfall pond. I'm in the SoCal area, and would be interested in cheap (possibly free from home teardowns/remodels) lava rock. Any leads, ideas, or help would be deeply appreciated. There is no urgeny, but I figure I'd better start looking now. I'll expect to have a waterfall pond design soon, and have it up by early spring of 2010. Yea, I know its a ways off, but try waiting until a couple weeks before starting the project and have to locate the materials! I learned the hardway last project!

H

There's lots of lava rock just openly laying around in the Mojave Desert. It may be a bit of a drive but you can't beat the price! Go to Baker, then head east to the lava tubes.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 7:20 AM

Yeah, hit the desert. So much to choose from, different shades of blacks, greys and reds. Plus you'll find agates, jaspers etc.
PM me for directions if interested (make it a camping trip).

personally, i like featherstone....cause it looks like lava rock, comes in the same sizes as lava rock, is super lightweight (why it's called featherstone) and weighs much less than lava rock....most garden centers carry it as well as statuary places....and the best part is it's way cheaper than lava....perfect for tiki landscaping and asian themed zen landscaping....

TD

Feather rock gets my vote also. wear gloves!

W

Here in the Jet City I've come across it a few times at recycled/reclaimed building materials places. If the rock is decorative enough they'll try and sell it.

In a similar vein check Craigslist. People are often redoing landscape and want to get rid of the materials they're tearing out.

H

On 2009-08-06 10:25, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Newberry Springs

Bay Park Buzzy is right.

Why would anybody in Southern California buy featherstone when lava rock is free? Okay, maybe not totally free, there's some gas and time, but still, almost free.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-08-06 14:11 ]

Bamboo ben took me to Pisgah crater in Mojave and the rock is great, just back the truck up and fill up. Its on the map off route 40. Buzzy and Lugi have it right

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-08-07 00:45 ]

Just don't get shot. I'm not kidding. If you are not a desert dweller, don't attempt.

Ben is so.......safety in experience!

Isn't all lava rock cursed?

Saw tons of Black Lava Rock on the way to Phoenix, just laying on the side of the freeway.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 12 replies