Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Epiphany!!

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've been able to find fresh White Grapefruit for the first time ever, and I have had a total Tiki Epiphany!!!!

Up until this very week I have only been able to find red, pink or Indian River grapefruit. I happened upon a cache of white grapefruit at our local Fresh Market, which is a smallish upscale grocery chain for those that aren't familiar with it. The white grapefruit juice has a cleaner and purer flavour than the other varieties of the fruit have, but with a razor-focused grapefruit flavour. So far I've made a Navy Grog, Jet Pilot and Zombie with the white grapefruit, and they have been the best version of those drinks that I've ever made.

I'm going to be very sad to see this fruit go away when it's gone. I wonder if I can freeze large quantities of it? (only half joking there)

M

It's amazing what that white grapefruit does for those drinks, isn't it? Just superior and delicious.

On 2009-08-05 00:14, Melintur wrote:
It's amazing what that white grapefruit does for those drinks, isn't it? Just superior and delicious.

It's the fresh grapefruit. I have a tree in the yard and I can say unequivocally, fresh grapefruit is soooo different than what you get in the store.

You have to be careful too, a lot of the grapefruit juice in the stores isn't grapefruit juice. It's high fructose corn syrup or apple juice flavored with 5-10% grapefruit juice.

Check your local Meijer stores. The Meijer here in Dayton
carries a 5lb bag of organic white grapefruit right now.
I'm enjoying some great drinks while I can.

Pages: 1 4 replies