Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where was Tapa Room in San Diego?

Pages: 1 5 replies

A

Way back in 1988 I went on an organized bar tour in San Diego. Everyone who participated got a t-shirt which included sketches of the facades of the bars. One Of the six bars planned, the Tapa Room was the only one we didn't go to -- either we were running out of time or it was closed (don't recall now). Anyway, does anyone know of this place?

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2009-08-08 08:26 ]

"Tapa" may not mean that it was a Tiki bar.

A

On 2009-08-08 10:26, Unga Bunga wrote:
"Tapa" may not mean that it was a Tiki bar.

Actually, apparently it was, at least on the exterior. Like I stated above, sketches of the bars' facades are on the t-shirt. The one for the Tapa Room shows a tiki figure on the front with the word "Aloha" under the bar name. Now, how much of a tiki bar it was inside, I have no idea. Worth investigating though.

This may not be a lot of help, but on the tour it was slated to be visited after the Chee Chee Club downtown and Pal Joey's in Allied Gardens. So I'm thinking somewhere perhaps uptown (North Park? Hillcrest? College Area?)

A

OK, another clue from this blog:

http://rockhoppersdailygrind.blogspot.com/2007/08/our-biker-camp-experience.html?showComment=1216429200000

QUOTE: "I used to hang out at a little bar called "The Tapa Room", so named because of it's wallpaper: Tapa cloth, made from bark in south pacific islands. The Tapa Room wasn't a biker bar, as such, but there were a number of members of the Silver Eagle bike club who were regulars. "

So it was a tiki biker bar in North Park? Hmmmm....

The Tapa Room was a major hang out for me. On North Park Way near 31st street. A small place with a lively local crowd. The barstools were sections of telephone pole with padded seats. Lots of great pool was shot there. It wasn't a biker bar but my Harley was there nearly every night. A loy of great times were had there. Great memories.

There was tapa cloth and tikis on the walls........

Jerry

T

I realize this is a long shot but does anyone here have any kind of paper ephemera from the Tapa Room, I had a story about the place for my San Diego Polynesian Pop talk at Oasis, if so PM me or post something, I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks

Bosko

Pages: 1 5 replies