Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Need help identifying strange tiki carving

Pages: 1 9 replies

S
spiked posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2009 8:34 PM

Hi all!

Came across this, and the description on it states "Polynesian Lizard King".
At first it looked like PNG to me, besides strange ears, then after the research online, came across a samoan lizard god Pili, and couldn't find any images anywhere. The question is, is it even polynesian/oceanic??

Thanks so much!

[ Edited by: spiked 2009-08-08 21:34 ]

S
spiked posted on Sun, Aug 9, 2009 9:21 AM

Anyone? Experts?

Pretty sure it is papua new guinea - not sure what part though..

I've seen that monkey on a 6 foot tall male figure and loved it. That's a nice piece!

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2009-08-09 16:58 ]

S
spiked posted on Sun, Aug 9, 2009 9:59 PM

On 2009-08-09 16:56, Capt'n Skully wrote:
Pretty sure it is papua new guinea - not sure what part though..

I've seen that monkey on a 6 foot tall male figure and loved it. That's a nice piece!

Hey Capt'n!
I thought so too, but mouth and ears confused me. I dunno.. I have a few oceanic arts books and such, nothing looks similar. I really want to get him, but that's been stopping me, and it has a crack as well... Jim found him a few days ago. Carving is about 4ft or so, I believe.

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 09:04 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 3:01 AM

Id say its from somewhere in the South East Asia zone. Note the similarities in the swirls on the shoulders to the swirls in gold on this Balinese mask

and a Balinese monkey mask

Having said that, if the price was right Id stick that in the corner of my tiki bar :D

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 09:03 ]

S

Thanks! Yeah, see, the ears!!! LOL! I will visit it again this Saturday and will take more pictures, but right now, I'm kinda leaning towards "nah", since it was a toss up between that and a huge tapa you can see behind it, pretty much the same price, we made offer on carving, then they countered $120.

It could be a knock off, but I still think it is based on PNG stuff if not from there.. I have some pictures I'll see if I can dig up and post if they are similar (from some PNG traders in South FL where I first saw that monkey). I'd pick it up for that price regardless in a heartbeat! If you pass on it, let me know.. :wink:

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2015-10-14 06:23 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies