Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Zombie Village mug fetches big $$$$ on ebay

Pages: 1 14 replies

Not my auction but thought you may want to take a look at a mug that very rarely comes up
anywhere period. I suspect not many of these were made.I am sure you can guess even with the
names hidden , who won the auction.I didn't even bother cuz I knew what the outcome would be.
I think I have several menus and matches from Zombie Village , however I will probably never
be fortunate enough to have this mug in my collection .Swanky's thread belonged on this , so
I just added it in here.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22238&forum=2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190326248837&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-08-10 22:22 ]

T

I didn't buy it but I personally find $385 not that much money when one thinks that this is one the more coveted mugs in Tiki culture. In almost any other collecting genre prices for top pieces go thousands if not hundreds of thousands. Just look at comic books where a 1960's issue of Spiderman went for over a $100,000 or in movie posters where a Frankenstein poster can go for over a million:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-BRIDE-OF-FRANKENSTEIN-1935-Karloff-27x41-UNIVERSAL_W0QQitemZ380138589624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5882068db8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_4004wt_1167

Tiki collecting is frankly cheap and be glad Tiki mugs are still this cheap. I think if most of us look at what we've spend on mugs in the past year and pooled that money into one mug, The Zombie Village Mug probably could have been ours.

Don't get me wrong, $385 is a lot money for a mug but I think within the reality of a collecting field and it being a coveted piece, I just don't think it's that much.

It's all relevant .Prices flex based upon what someone is willing to pay for it
and exactly how bad they really want it .If a piece of artwork fetches $ 20,000 at
auction,it doesn't guarantee in a year or even two that it will fetch more or as
much as original winning bid.Example - some specific woodie cars were going for $175,000
last year, however there prices have dropped and softened up with the economy and
the real estate market.I guess all I am trying to point out and make clear , close to
$400 for a tiki mug is getting up there price in todays crap economy and the un-employment
rate @ 11.25% ..... for the above average tiki collector..Most of us already know how
rare the mug is.Enough with my babbling, your comments are very reasonable and appreciated
Tattoo .

Thanks for posting pictures of this mug. I don't cruise ebay and here's another mug to keep an eye out for. (Now THAT's a well constructed sentence!) Anyway, it adds to the fun of collecting.

On 2009-08-10 22:30, Tattoo wrote:
I didn't buy it but I personally find $385 not that much money when one thinks that this is one the more coveted mugs in Tiki culture. In almost any other collecting genre prices for top pieces go thousands if not hundreds of thousands. Just look at comic books where a 1960's issue of Spiderman went for over a $100,000 or in movie posters where a Frankenstein poster can go for over a million:
tiki collecting is frankly cheap and be glad Tiki mugs are still this cheap. I think if most of us look at what we've spend on mugs in the past year and pooled that money into one mug, The Zombie Village Mug probably could have been ours.

Don't get me wrong, $385 is a lot money for a mug but I think within the reality of a collecting field and it being a coveted piece, I just don't think it's that much.

...remember..the mug sold for $385...but you don't know what the high bidder's max was but you can bet that if it's who we think it is, it was probably a pretty hefty sum, .....they might of had $600 as a max but it only sold for the $385 because every other bidder backed off.......

still, i know what you mean as far as price....$385 is pretty cheap for that kind of mug, but it's more a sign of the economic times....i myself have been fortunate to score a few mugs lately on ebay (nothing like this) that i wouldn't have been able to touch a year ago....those that still have a few bucks to spend are able to take advantage of those that are getting squeezed and have to unload their collections to keep the bills paid....even so, i just don't have the spare scratch to compete like i did back in the early days...

very cool mug though...nice to know it's out there...

T

The price HAS gone down.
You know what would be cooler than
have one of these mugs?
Having two.
Or maybe even a DOZEN!

S

gee-louis! I have pictures of Kohalacharms Zombie mug, and he didn't bid on this one! Someone else bought it fercrisakes! And a bargain considering the last 2 have gone over $500.

I have seen this mug go for over $1,000 so under $400 seems cheap. I wouldn't buy it myself though, not my thing.

i seem to recall a discussion here about a tiki mug in a postcard photo that looked like those palm trees on the mug...they only showed that side of the mug ....anyone remember what thread and are these the mugs in that picture?? i think it was a canadian bar but i could be wrong....

Wow !!! I guess because it has been so long since I have seen one on ebay or anywhere
else, that price comparison is much lower then a year ago .I had no idea that particular
mug went for that much.Definitely not alot of them out there .

Too cool! I found 2 of those Zombie Village mugs at the local Savers for 1.99 each last year.

I had no idea they were that valuable.

ST

Thanks for rubbing it in Sneaky, I feel so much better now .

I

I watched the auction. As soon as I saw that mug I knew it would end out of my price range. Still cool to see though!

... :wink:

Tikiship- great post by the way with the date and price on that ebay auction,
back when you could see who won.By golly fives years since that auction and the
price dropped on this mug.Usually it's the other way around the prices go up on
mugs over the years.That's a big difference in price from then to now.

Pages: 1 14 replies