Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Noa Noa (the drink) with 151 Lemon Hart?

Pages: 1 9 replies

N
nuKKe posted on Wed, Aug 12, 2009 3:42 AM

Hi,
I'd like to make the Grog Log's recipe for Noa Noa, which calls for 3 oz. demarera rum. I have Lemon Hart 151 and feel that 3 oz. of this might be a little too strong for the drink. What would you recommend to do, considering that buying an 80 proof is not an option? Use only 2 oz? dilute it with another rum?

Thanks,
Keren.

Three ounces of Demerera 151 in the Noa Noa is going to blow your doors off. It's hard to imagine what you could substitute for a lower proof Demerera in that drink, because it's that smoky Demerera flavor that makes the Noa Noa.

Have you tried looking for El Dorado Demerera? Lower proof El Dorados may be easier to find.

Otherwise, you could try mixing maybe half an ounce or an ounce of the 151 with maybe a dark Jamaican? I'd defer to some of the other experts around here though.

The Noa Noa is based on the Queen's Park Swizzle, one of my favorite rum drinks. You might try using the 3 rums of the QPS, with the brown sugar of the Noa Noa. I.e., 1 oz. Demerara (151ยบ is OK - it's only one ounce), 1 oz. dark Jamaican, 1 oz. gold (e.g., Puerto Rican). You'll still get a pronounced Demerara taste.
Or (shudder!), you could gently warm the 151, and evaporate some of the "excess" alcohol...

S

Forget the 151. Use any quality dark or amber rum you have instead. You won't miss the flavor that much with the drink.

Lemon Hart does make a regular proof demarera rum. Most people don't notice, but the labeling on Lemon Hart is very subtle between the regular and 151 proofings. The 151 label has a tiny triangular proof mark on the corner.

Supposedly L&H 151 is being discontinued. Don't waist it.

You could try a Navy Rum, such as Pussers, which has some Demerara rums in it's blend. Perhaps an ounce of the 151 Dem and two ounces of Pussers.

N
nuKKe posted on Thu, Aug 13, 2009 2:03 AM

Thank you all for the tips and discussions.

Suburban Beachbum - the El Dorado rum that's being imported to Israel isn't demarera rum. I don't know what it is and I've never tried it, having been recommended not to bother, either in these forums or by Kick_the_Reverb. (picture of the El Dorado available here can be found in http://www.bakbuk.co.il/HTMLPAGE/internal.asp?cat=1&nam=728&tat=12 )

Limbo Lizard and Swanky - yay! both are good ideas. CincyTikiCraig - still don't have Navy Rum.

Quickiki - my bottle is 151. We took Bigtikidude as a QA on our pilgrimage to Hi Times last December :)

Mr. NoNaMe - I started this thread because I don't want to waste my Lemon Hart. Don't mind experimenting and spilling w/white rum, dark Jamaican, my simple Agricole and even Havana Club, which is REALLY expensive, but at least available. I have no idea when's the next time I'll be in an affordable and extensive liquor store so I'm being very, very careful (or, well, cheap :wink: )

A

On 2009-08-12 20:44, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Supposedly L&H 151 is being discontinued. Don't waist it.

According to a comment by rugbymatt on the thread linked below, that isn't true (fingers crossed):
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32640&forum=10&start=0

I probably wouldn't bother making a Noa Noa with anything but demerara; the brown sugar just pairs so well with it! 3oz of 151 would be nutty. I like Limbo Lizard's suggestion the best.

Pages: 1 9 replies