Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

carving with cedar

Pages: 1 4 replies

After i remove the bark from my cedar logs, i have about 3/4 of an inch of real wet would. should i be removing that before i start carving. if so how do you all do that.

T

Hmmm.... I would probably just let it dry out some more. Is it mushy or anything like that? Or just wet?

P

I have two 4 foot 10" diameter white cedar logs in my garage. I let them dry out but they cracked and split a lot so just be ready for see that beautiful wood splinter all over if you decide to let it go bone dry before carving.

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/11072/4a80b095.jpg

This is my second tiki, and just under the bark it is wet, not mushy. Can wait to dry, must carve, carve, carve.

[ Edited by: wiredgriff 2009-08-12 07:10 ]

B

Looks great for tiki # 2, Keep going. If your wet wood is freshly cut it Will check a lot (crack)and if you just let it dry on its own it will check a lot too. What you need to do is SLOW the moisture escaping by painting the ends with paint, wax or other stuff made for the purpose. I found latex paint works well, then just wait a year or two works great, in the meantime go find some logs already dry .

Pages: 1 4 replies