Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Better Guitar Playing Through Tiki!

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

Hey Everybody, first I have to say that this message is long overdue.

Back in December my fiancée (now wife) and I decided to go to Vegas to get married, and while we were there she suggested that there might be some fun Tiki stuff to check out, so I scanned this forum extensively for Tiki things to do in Vegas. I'm a Tiki novice, so it really helped! We made it to Tiki Lee's, Cheeseburger and Frankie's Tiki Room. We had a blast and I came back with a few souvenirs and a much greater thirst for Tiki. I've since started carving little Tikis in wine corks, reading books about the South Seas, and even mastered my first drink from the Grog Log - the Noa Noa (although I sometimes substitute Agave syrup for the brown sugar for health reasons, which still works for me!).

Anyway my goal was to post some pictures here a while back, but instead, getting back to the topic of this post.. I'm a guitarist who loves Exotica music, and although this video doesn't feature Exotica in any way, shape or form, it DOES feature what I hope to be some pretty good guitar playing AND some of my Vegas scores in the background. Behind me on the dresser you can see a Cheeseburger Tiki (sitting on top of the Book of Tiki), a Frankie's Tiki Bandit, and another Tiki mug from Tiki Lee's with some of those cool pens he has stuck in there as well. I'm not sure how well this all translates in the video, but I think my friends behind me helped me to play better in this guitar competition video.

Thanks again to all the Tiki experts here for helping us make our Vegas trip so fun, and I hope you enjoy the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGE9SarCww

[ Edited by: tuhuka 2009-09-26 16:04 ]

HJ

Good stuff. Go to SurfGuitar101 and you should find some kindred souls.

T

On 2009-08-13 21:56, Haole Jim wrote:

Thanks Haole Jim. I love surf guitar too & will check it out!

B
Bau posted on Wed, Jul 28, 2010 7:47 AM

WOW! you've got a new fan :P what you need now is a tiki guitar. I'll post some pics of my Ibanez mod up soon :wink:

On 2009-08-13 21:56, Haole Jim wrote:

uh....
save your self some embarrassment.
you are great at what you play.

but the members of Surfguitar101 will not be into this.

just sayin'
rock on'

Jeff(btd)

Great playing...Very nice....but...sorry....nowhere near the beach & surf music. Have you tried some Django pages? They might be more fun if you're into the chords & hot riffs. You're good enough not to have to play with the effects. I'd like to hear you without the sustain on a nice acoustic Gypsy guitar. Surf???? WTF???

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2010-07-29 19:25 ]

B
Bau posted on Sat, Jul 31, 2010 10:05 AM

his post wasn't about surf guitar, it was about the tikis on the shelf behind him helping him win a guitar contest. I enjoyed the tounge-in-cheek humor of it :)

but it would be great if he could post another vid in that syle too :wink:

here is a photo of the pick guard I made for my guitar. I do believe in the power of tikis to influence ones guitar playing!

here is a fun guitar site with a sort of exotic tiki look to it, and neat game that you can play, it says 'lessons' but you don't need to know how to play guitar to play the game.

http://www.guitarshredshow.com/main.html#home

[ Edited by: Bau 2010-07-31 10:20 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies