Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Anyone been to the Purple Orchid in El Segundo?

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Hi all, we're now looking for a second place to go in case we want to hop. Has anyone been to Purple Orchid in El Segundo and can recommend it? Thanks.

i've been there and liked it.
can't say i know what the crowd is like because i was there early and pretty much had the bar to ourselves. met the guy who designed one of their mugs and he signed it for me.

TT

I can't believe no one local has replied to this post.

The Purple Orchid in El Segundo is a really cool local tiki bar. The owners, Dave and Rebecca, are a couple of the nicest people I have met. Both are really knowledgeable when it comes to knowing what to drink. Dave is real inventive when it comes to new drinks.

The place has a nice tiki decor, with the back bar displaying a good variety of tiki stuff. The undulating bar makes it so it is easy for you to have a conversation with more than just the people sitting next to you.

If you're in the area, definitely stop in for a drink.

[ Edited by: Tuna Tiki 2009-08-17 14:23 ]

lets see some photos!

TT

Pictures. Everyone wants pictures. I'll see what I can do. If not, you'll just have to come down and see it for your self. When you do the first one is on me.

[ Edited by: Tuna Tiki 2009-08-17 20:28 ]

H

On 2009-08-17 14:25, TIKIVILLE wrote:
lets see some photos!

Start here.

If you haven't been there yet, call my cell and I will meet-up with you (310) 384-8636. I haven't taught the bartenders to make the Ginger Bimbo or French Zombie yet, and I'd like to whip 'em on you and see what you think!
Dave

T

Hi all, I hadn't revisited this forum for a while and it was great to see all these replies. My wife and I were visiting a relative in Hermosa Beach last night, and we three decided to try to find the Purple Orchid. Pretty easy, it's the only place in El Segundo open past 9 p.m., and on a Saturday night! So different from Hermosa ...

The place was packed, but we found a small table up against the wall while a great three man band called Ghosts of Searchlight set up in a very tight corner near the flat screen TV. Any band that starts off a set with "Having an Average Weekend", the Kids in the Hall theme song, is okay by me! Good mix of non-vocal surf rock/post rock music, great tight lead and bass and drums. We hope to see them somewhere else again soon.

Decor: Thatched walls and decor, blowfish and tiki like lamps hanging from the ceiling, nice long wooden bar. The place felt like "home".

Drink report: My wife got a nice tall Mai Tai for only $8, I had a taste and it was nice and strong, no stinginess on the rum there, but not overpoweringly so. It was a good drink, too bad I was the designated driver!

Crowd: A good mix of young and older there, even a guy at the bar reading a book while the band played on, and pool players in back. Noisy, crowded, all the elements of a great neighborhood bar.

We really like this place. We'll be back any time we're in the neighborhood, and wish we either lived closer or it was closer to home.

[ Edited by: tikithor 2009-08-23 14:37 ]

On 2009-08-14 15:47, tikithor wrote:
Hi all, we're now looking for a second place to go in case we want to hop. Has anyone been to Purple Orchid in El Segundo and can recommend it? Thanks.

Does the pope go poop in the woods? Is water wet? Is the Purple Orchid the best Tiki Bar in LA?

I know that Dave and Rebeca are the Best tiki bar owners in LA area.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 9 replies