Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help ID a Trader Vic mug (classic image)

Pages: 1 9 replies

I found this great image attributed to the San Francisco Trader Vic's location. Can anyone ID the mug? Here is the photo from NCPB television and the caption.

George Eddy and his wife Kay at Trader Vic's in San Francisco, their last night together before he went overseas to join the carrier USS Intrepid, 1945.
Photo credit:
George Eddy Collection

The Original Trader Vic's Kava Bowl.

sandz

Thanks for the ID. Here is a photo of the repro from JenTiki's collection.

That is a great Pic!! Nice hunting Uncle Trav!!

Here's the link to that image - http://www.kqed.org/press/tv/thewar/images/thewar2.jpg - click on it to zoom

Trad'r Bill

Trav,

Here is a photo of the original Kava Bowl from Tiki Gallery.

I also have this article from Life magazine that has this photo of the early TV mugs including the Kava, Gremlin and Scorpion bowls.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-08-16 21:24 ]

K

Channeling my inner James Lileks, I Googled "George Eddy Intrepid" - he's written a memoir:

"FLY BOY is a Naval Aviator's memoir of almost four years in WWII. It focuses on the lighter side of wartime - learning to fly training and combat planes, including a carrier checkout on the WOLVERINE in Lake Michigan, action in his F4U gull-winged Corsair fighter/bomber squadron on the West Coast, in the Pacific and a duty on the carrier INTREPID. in 1945. The story starts in Chicago at a brunch party on December 7, 1941 when a neighbor bursts in and says: "Turn on the radio. The Japs just bombed Pearl Harbor!" There are many unusual events as an Aviation Cadet, an Officer and a Gentleman earning the coveted wings, and ultimately a Lt. USNR. (fmr). Along the way, a few romances, and the difficult and exciting courtship of the gorgeous young woman who has been his wife for 62 years."

I wonder if they went back to Trader Vic's after he was discharged?

Just realized that the description for this picture is not quite right - TV's San Francisco at 20 Cosmo opened in 1951, and this pic is dated 1945. I've also never seen a picture of 20 Cosmo with a neon sign like this.

Maybe this is actually the Oakland location(?) I've never seen an actual exterior shot of the Oakland location, I'm just sayin'.

Trad'r Bill

Ya, I say it's Oakland.

Yes, this is absolutely the Oakland location (the original location). I recognize the building from the background, which is still standing today.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.