Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 09 Dinner Buffet

Pages: 1 19 replies

T

[ Edited by: tikidogg 2009-08-20 09:24 ]

That's funny tikidogg, I hear you on the food wait...when your hungry your hungry!
I got one up on you .I got served bad sushi Saturday night , and Sunday I was so
deathly ill I was heaving all day, and had to bail Oasis early Sunday.Then driving
back to Newport Beach I had to pull off the side of the freeway twice so I could
heave up so more while the cars are driving bye watching me.
That's how my Tiki Oasis weekend ended for me .
Still had a great time though over all.

C

yep I learned last year to stay very far away from the Buffet at the hotel. Oh man that is some bad stuff. I ate dinner in the sit down on Saturday and it was nasty too. really not many options for food around there without driving so now we try to bring as much with us as we can. This year it was the poolside pizza that made me sick so I won't be doing that next year either.

I think the amount of RUM that was consumed on Saturday night probably did not
help matters either.I won't be even next to any booze for awhile.
Next year will be there ten year anniversary, so just think of how crazy that
will be .

ok, a warning is all well and good, but this is just a little too much info don't you think? Everyone should know to take some Pepto tablets in their luggage just in case - right?

Pepto didn't help me- I took it, and yeah maybe a little too much info,
however I felt compelled to share since I missed the whole day Sunday
at Oasis and missed sales of my goods.

P

I didn't think that the buffet was that bad. I ate it one night and granted it was nothing special but it was edible and didn't make me sick. I did enjoy the sushi at the hotel and the burgers were pretty good. Still, the best food I had all weekend was away from Tiki Oasis. The lines at Bali Hai were way to daunting on Thursday, so Valerie and I went up the road to Fiddler's Green, got seated right away and had a really nice dinner. Saturday we had breakfast at Adam's Steak and Eggs and that was also really good. The hotel shuttled us over there and back.

My point in all this is that there are other options.

M

I too had a terrible time with the hotel food. Made a reservation for 7pm at the restaurant..got seated ordered and waited until 8:20 with no food in sight.....got up and left.....they know there were going to be a lot of people there...Maybe we can talk to them for next year! Mahalo

this thread cracks me up.
and I have heard others complain about it in person too.

I experienced none of this.

and I ate in both hotel restaurants this year, and other years.

the longest wait has been 30 min for food.
never waited more than 5 min for a table.
I do agree they need more staff there for the busiest of times.

the key.
go when nobody is there.
don't wait till yer dying of hunger.

3 of the 4 times I ate there this weekend,
there was more tables empty than taken.

I guess I am just lucky, and plan ahead.
good luck next year to those who always get the shaft.

Jeff(btd)

Oy vey! Everyone is sounding like old people! (What? You got no seltzer?) It's HOTEL FOOD. At a SOLD OUT EVENT! And this isn't the Four Seasons. Plan ahead! Come on! Tiki people are the most fun, creative people on the planet! We create art out of stuff that washes up on the sand! Since almost everyone who goes to Oasis brings a cooler, pack yours with HEALTHY food to help counteract all the rum you'll be consuming! And BTD is right, don't wait until you're famished to go get food. Head over to the restaurant/burger line when you START getting hungry.

T

[ Edited by: tikidogg 2009-08-20 09:24 ]

maybe if it was an attempt at Humor you should put a
:) or :wink:

after you joke rant, and people would get that it is a joke.

Humor is often lost on the internet, without the inflection to go with it.

Jeff(btd)

How was the pie?

mmmmmmmm pie.

:drink: I think alot of us Tiki Folk put more importance on good food then others might, I know I do, I found that the food served in the whole area, Hotel circle & at the Oasis is very,very,very substandard.
because the Crown Plaza was sold out, we stayed at the Kings Inn, which was nice in a Mid-Century Motel style, but the food there was just
plain bad, one of the worst breakfast's I have had in a long time, how hard is to screw up breakfast!

I already knew the food was poor at the Crown Plaza, The Bands on Saturday went past 11pm, since we did not want to miss any of the great music & many Mai Tai's later, we had not had any dinner that evening, The restaurant at the Crown was already closed.

I went to the front desk and asked the nice folks there, where to get a late night bite, Denny's was mentioned at which point I put a Voodoo Curse on that poor fellow, I threw out the idea that I was up for any local hole in the wall spots, A local Taco Stand called "Santana's"
was suggested, I was sober at this time, so we jumped into the car, jetted about 2 miles down the road, found the place, where we got some of the best Mexican food, we have had in a long time.

It was the best food we had our whole stay in fact, from a Stand/drive thru, all you San Diego folks might have already knew about it
but wow, just wow! :drink:

[ Edited by: tikidogg 2009-08-20 09:25 ]

Hodads Burgers in Ocean Beach on friday at noon.
double bacon cheesburger.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jeff(btd)

Huh? Did somebuddy say Hodad???

Dern.

Jeff you aint had a heart attack till you had a heart attack caused by the delicious Saska Burger w/ bacon & cheese served up just steps from Freaky Boutiki in Mission Beach.

Mmmmmm... served late for guys workin on their gallery all nite!

Hank,
next time I am down there, I will try it out.
promise.
your description of it on monday had me salivating like Pavlov's dog.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Where did tikidogg go?
The food must have killed him.

Pages: 1 19 replies