Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Ski? Anyone?

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

I

Any Tiki Oasis Skier/snowboarders around here? I am a ski patroller at Snow Valley ski resort outside of Running Springs. Normally it’s the resort most folks pass on their way up to Big Bear. Anyone interested in the coming months to put on an event and do a sort of “Tiki ski?” the parking lot is huge up there so I know I could get some area blocked off so we could have a little BBQ and share with the other non-tiki skiers the magic of our Ohana. Just a thought if anyone is interested. Would most likely be in January. The hill is a smaller family oriented hill. A little slower pace and great for families with little ones. If anyone is interested PM me and lets see what we can come up with!

I

An NO I don't get any sort of kick back from the hill. Nor is this some promotional endeavor. Just some tiki folks Skiing and Snowboarding. Oh and I'm pretty sure I could get some group pricing for the day as well.

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2009-08-18 16:21 ]

J

Do you ever ski Mammoth ? They have a full-on Tiki bar/restaurant there. Here's my review:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31052&forum=1&vpost=429593&hilite=lakanuki

I try to get in 20 snowboarding days there each winter.

My guess is that Tiki culture and action sports really don't go together, aside from the few TC'ers who are surfers (and I don't mean the channel or web kind).

Maybe responses to this post will prove me wrong. I'd be interested in visiting a local hill. Aloha wear would be a good way to stand out.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-08-18 17:43 ]

If I was west coast I'd do it. I ride New england (vermont/stratton) 40 + days on a snowboard. Its sounds like a cool idea just need to pick a spring type weekend and post it up! Any lift discounts are sure to help.

I'm sure you guys have seen the Burton and Shag collaboration of snowboards too!

• tiki and snow why not!

Don Brewski issues snowboard beat-downs at Mammoth every year...(Folks live 10 miles outside of Bishop)

Tiki-Ski sounds like a blast!

I

I selected Snow Valley for the reason of closeness for the so-cal snowboarder/skiiers (and I believe I could get better group rate) Mammoth would be awesome. I was thinking more in the lines of a Febuary time frame but perhaps spring would bring out the not-so-cold-weather folks. I do think this could work. I don't want this year to be a full blown event with vender's and such. Since the weather could be a problem. I'm all for doing what I can to make this happen. Just seeing what the interest is. I'm thinking if we get around 40+ TC'ers interested we could have ourselves an event! I would love to do this!

I

John-O do you know if the mammoth Tiki Bar is still there? That could be a rally point. I can contact them and see if they know some "insider" lodging locations. Tickets to Mammoth are in the $80 range.... I could be wrong. I am so down with Ahoha shirts on the hill.... It wouldn't be the same!

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2009-08-18 18:31 ]

J

Lakanuki is still in business. http://www.lakanuki.com/

If you want to do it in Mammoth, I would suggest April as an appropriate month. The Spring skiing/boarding is classic !!

If you can get at least 30 people, the numbers are there to charter a Tiki bus from LA.

I know a couple NorCal folks that would be up for a road trip!!

[ Edited by: Dr. Von Zombie 2009-08-19 01:42 ]

Hmmm well I haven't gone skiing since the 80's but my house is about 25 minutes down the mountain in north Berdoo. If your idea works into something maybe I can plan to open my yard/bar to visitors on thier way up or down the mountain that day...? Just an idea...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=27675&forum=18&start=0

Sounds very fun! I'd be there!

I

Mammoth, around the April Time frame. Sounds good. Some things we will need to consider:

1. Transporation, we all go alone or socal TC and Norcal TCer's rent van?
  2. Need to find a cheap place to stay or all pile into a big rental?
  3. I would like us all to be able to be in the same location. Just a thought.

Suggestions? Connections? Insider knowledge?

CA

I had that same idea last year!!!! with some fears it might just be me and Wes(House o Tiki).....BUT Spring time in shorts!! is my idea!! self employed I go only on those Sunny Tuesdays after the storm........... However standing in long lines all Tikied up would be a hoot!! if it was sunny... I like Sun... me no like the cold......

J

On 2009-08-19 08:23, IKABOD wrote:
Suggestions? Connections? Insider knowledge?

IKABOD,

I can provide some guidance here. I've been affiliated with an LA-based ski club and have been running weekend bus trips to Mammoth for almost 20 years. I have relationships with 2 moderately-priced condo complexes and well as a reputable bus charter company. I understand the logistics of getting 30-40 people up and back from Mammoth safely.

Here's a suggested itinerary

1. Friday, 6:30pm - Meet at a central location to board the bus. Van Nuys Fly-Away is a good location as it provides secured parking.
  2. 5-6 hour drive to Mammoth - You can serve pre-mixed Mai Tai's while everyone socializes and/or watches Tiki-themed movies.
  3. Friday, Midnight - Arrive at condos.
  4. Saturday morning - The bus can take everyone to one of the lodges or late sleepers can catch a shuttle.
  5. Saturday, 10am - Meet at the sign in front of McCoy Station (mid-mountain) for a group ski.
  6. Saturday evening - Private Tiki event at Lakanuki.
  7. Sunday morning - Back to the slopes.
  8. Sunday noon - Outdoor Tiki BBQ.
  9. Sunday, 4pm - Bus departs for LA.
  10. Sunday, 9:30pm - Arrive back.

Cost for lodging and the chartered bus would be approx $6000. The bus can hold 45 people. If you get 30 people at $200 each, this would be the break-even point. This does not include lift tickets or event food/drinks.

The major issues are follows:

1. Getting pre-payment as you need to pay for the bus and lodging beforehand.
  2. Liability. Ski clubs have insurance for a reason. If you organize a paid event open to the general public, you might have exposure. You should consult with a lawyer if you choose to run a formal event (like Tiki Oasis is).

Please feel free to PM me with your contact info if you decide to move forward with this.

What's Mammoth like in the Spring? Check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO_eBYthO2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1MNJYQ6PA

JOHN-O

WoooHooo! Sounds like a fun event.....please keep SoccerTiki and I posted :)

I

John-o, Your awesome. I will contact you.

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2009-08-19 15:38 ]

On 2009-08-18 18:01, Don Brewski wrote:
Don Brewski issues snowboard beat-downs at Mammoth every year

Why am I not surprised? Don Brewski, you're turning into David Watts, my man!

I

Well here I think is how this should go for this year. We do a "test" trip, or rather without the sanctioned transportation, since there will be norcal, socal and perhaps even out of state TC'ers who may want to go. I was thinking of April 17th and 18th. So we would need a place for all of us to stay from the 16th (midnight-ish arrival)and checkout the 18th. Doing it this way at least for now allows everyone to work on their own transportation to get there. All who are interested just put down "in". Lets see who bites....

J

OK, I'm ready. The snowboard is waxed, season pass paid, and I've been hitting the gym 3 times a week. All we need now is 5 feet of snow.

What ya mean it's only August !! ??

(But hey, Tiki-Ti opened a few hours ago).

April is to late in the season, especially for Snow Valley.
My recommendation is Mt Baldy .Beginner , intermediate and advanced runs there.
If you have ever been there you know what I talking about.The best kept secret
in So Cal.I have been going there since I was kid growing up in Glendora .
There is lodging close by as well.It's very old school.

J

April's not too late for Mammoth.

There have been several seasons where I snowboarded through July 4th !!

snows falling now!

any updates since AUGUST?

J

Mammoth actually opened several lifts last weekend. Then it got hot and then the snow melted. :(

As as result I went drinking at Tiki-Ti, Don the Beachcomber, and Trader Vic's all in one week. That made me feel better. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-26 22:52 ]

I think this sounds like fun! I ski in Mammoth and I have gone to their Tiki bar, which would make a good place for a party, and yes, the spring skiing in April is my favorite, too. Keep us posted where and when.

J

Here's the Mammoth plan.

Sat, Jan 9th 10:00am - Meet at the big sign in front of McCoy Station.

Sat, Jan 9th 5:30pm - Meet at Lakanuki for apres-Ski cocktails.

I'll be there. (Will you?) :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-13 10:57 ]

I

Hey have not had been keeping up with this. The January dates look great as long as I don't have patrol that weekend. Either way looks good!

J

The recent California storms have dropped almost 5 feet (!!) of new snow at Mammoth. The current base is 5-8 feet and it's still dumping. I'm guessing the whole hill will be open by next weekend.

"Be true to your Poly-Pop aesthetic. Ride one stick, not two." :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-13 10:56 ]

wish I could amke this take a few pics and post em! have a few turns and drinks for me!

I

Well my tiki ski plans have been on hold as I wait for the bad news for the weekend of the 9th.... I will be in the non-snow area of Phoenix that weekend for work.. Ya had to pick THAT weekend!
I'm going to try and do a run up to Mammoth on the 16th of January regardless. Hopefully some folks will be able to make it up there this year! I will leave our Cult of the Eye Scrimshaw mug at the Lakanuki if I can drag my broken body to the bar.

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2009-12-21 13:27 ]

CA

i got a text last monday from Wes of House of tiki... "another perfect blue-sky day, fresh powder, no one here!!!" ..... S.O.B!! I was making mugs and not fresh tracks... damn it all!!! the 16th sounds interesting...

I

Making mugs? When the pow pow is a fallen? Fail! Mugs can wait! Yeah I said it! The mugs can wait! Anyhow I'm heading up on the 16th, gotta do this cheap. Anyone know of a lodging sharing deal?

Huh whatya know! You can buy your tickets in advance! $87!
http://www.mammothmountain.com/VacationPlanning/TripPlanner/Tickets/

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2009-12-21 22:28 ]

N
nate posted on Tue, Dec 22, 2009 3:06 PM

Was just up at Mammoth this last weekend - the snow was amazing. 32F and just a little breezy. I was afraid it would be all icey since they hadn't had snow in a week, but it was awesome. There were no crowds either - we got lucky.

Even some of the areas with thin cover were still pretty thick. Not a bad place in the park.

Can't wait to get back up there.

I

Still looking at the 16th to head up there. Lodging options will make or break this trip. If all else fails.. I just head to Snow Valley to make up my Ski Patrol time.

J

On 2009-12-29 01:19, IKABOD wrote:
Still looking at the 16th to head up there. Lodging options will make or break this trip. If all else fails.. I just head to Snow Valley to make up my Ski Patrol time.

I'll be up the earlier weekend, I could have offered you space in the condo then. Sorry Bro.

Actually I'm heading up to Mammoth right now for some early season turns. :)

Do you patrol on a board ?

I

Why yes I do!

I

Every year I try to get something started with a Tiki Ski/snowboard event. This year is no different. I'm going to put my best effort ever to do just that. I cannot justify the expense and distance right now of heading up to Mammoth to do a group ski trip. I have a better chance of getting a group rate with the hill I patrol at. Snow Valley. Yes during the beginning and tail ends of the ski season Cali skiing sucks. But ya cant beat the rate! All day lift ticket for under $60! Now for a group rate at Snow Valley as long as I can guarantee 10+ skiiers and or snowboarders the rate drops to $48 per day at the top end for a weekend. That’s if it’s a holiday weekend! $41 per day for the garden variety weekend! Unfortunately this would cater more to the so cal Tiki skiers. Even so, its every skier for themselves! You drive, you find the hotel (I may have ability to get another group hotel rate depending on interest). Last year was a epic year, that I missed due to financial struggles. It was a strong El Nina, this year is predicting to be a weak El Nina. Still, nothing to be disappointed with. I say we go! This year things are better and I’m patrolling again.

Interested? Sound off!

I haven't been on my board in years! I'd love to join if a group was going... count me in!

I

No ski's..... Well then rent:
Adult Ski Package (skis, boots and poles) $25
Adult Snowboard Package (snowboard and boots) $25
Child Ski Package - ages 12 and Under (skis, boots and poles) $20
Child Snowboard Package - ages 12 and Under (snowboard and boots) $20
Helmets $6

I know the snow has yet to fall. I want to keep this simple but make it affordable as well. I can also look into finding a hotel nearby (Running Springs) if anyone is interested. Also, the Bar at Snow Valley may need to be schooled in Tropical Drinks, I believe this should be part of the trip. Helping our fellow man/woman learn to make proper Tropical Adult Beverages.

I

Would love it - for a day or for a weekend! It's about time I busted another leg on the slopes!

Tropical cocktails Hell,

Hot Buttered RUMS!!!

Jeff(btd)

CA

plan every year.. got to-do it!

Sounds fun!!!

Maybe next year I would be down.
I have never ever been in snow except twice in my life time.
I would be down for everyone to point & laugh as I break my ass in the snow!
Plus who doesn't love midgets in skis?

I

I'm looking at sometime in February. That's usually the best time for snowfall. My option is to head up Thursday morning, so if anyone wanted to call in sick due to the winter flu. Nothing beats the flu better than a few turns on the hill.

I will be speaking with Deep Creek Motel in Running springs for a group rate as well. There is a couple more motels in Running springs that maybe worth while speaking to also.

Hmmmmmm, hobo BBQ in the Snow Valley parking lot? just sayin....

I

Well kids Ill be going up to my ski patrol refresher next month. While there I reach out to marketing regarding a tiki event. Dont expect this to be a huge event. May just be a few us who can ski for a meet and greet. Those who cant ski or snowboard..... You will learn, the bar is there at the hill to provide comfort for damgage limbs and bruised egos. Stay tuned as I get more information.

Oh heck yeah... I learned to ski at Snow Valley at age 12 in Blizzard Ski Club! I an WAY down for this so let's get it on!! I'll pull off a wonky 80's style 2-planker wanker 360 air and hope to God I will survive it!

WooHoo! Sounds like fun...Keep us posted :)

Pages: 1 2 61 replies