Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sad news for Atlanta/Alabama & Hukilau 2002 goers

Pages: 1 2 replies

Those of you who attended the first Hukilau, held in Atlanta in 2002, will remember The Penetrators, a great surf band from Tuscaloosa/Atlanta that performed on the roof of the snack bar during the day of the Sunday drive-in movie event.

http://www.penetrators.com/
If you love surf, you will want to hear their songs. Trust me.

Two of the band's members were the Rogers brothers: Scott (aka Rip Thrilby - with the switchblade, and who painted the above album cover) and Brian (aka Spanky Twangler - with the crossbow).
You may also remember that we lost Scott to a car wreck on Mother's Day that next year - the last day of Tiki Oasis (Palm Springs). He was the creative force behind the Drive-Invasion, an amazing guitarist, like his brother, and a lover of tiki. (We lost Montague of the Atlanta band the Woggles the next day, coincidentally.)

It grieves me deeply to write that 39-yr-old Brian lost his battle with cancer yesterday. There are no remaining siblings, but Brian leaves a wonderful wife Tracy behind, as well as three beautiful little girls. I cannot imagine what it is like for Mr. and Mrs. Rogers to have lost both their children.

This is Brian performing at a fundraiser for his medical bills ("Spanktacular"!) just a few months ago.
He fought his illness hard and with the best attitude and humor anyone could imagine.
Both men are deeply missed.
But I loved what one of our friends quipped:
Upon entering St. Peter's gates, Spanky will find Rip waiting with, "C'mon, man - we've been waiting! We've got to be onstage in 5 minutes!"
I take comfort in knowing that these guys have been rocking out non-stop since Brian got there.

S

Those guys really helped make Hukilau happen. It was good to have those local secret agents on our side.

Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the drive-in party that weekend, but we well remember the rave comments about the band and that day's event. Sorry to hear this.

Actually, I was in Atlanta last night and if my plane had not been delayed in Orlando, would have gone to TVs. Haven't been there since the first Hukilau.
KG

Pages: 1 2 replies