Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

LA Grapefruit Selections

Pages: 1 7 replies

As I posted in a previous thread, my Wife & I are flying into LA in a few weeks. We have rented a great house in Palm Desert and we're also spending a couple of days at the Beverly hills Hilton (thanks to my Hilton Honor Points!). I'm buying our whole bar setup in LA, likely at Hi Times.

Here's my question: What variety of grapefruit an I likely to find in the LA area? Here in Cincinnati I've only recently found white grapefruit, which are so renown in (and well suited for) Tiki cocktails. Up till now I have only been able to find Ruby Red, Pink & Indian River Grapefruit, which while being very good are just not the same as the white variety. I'm wondering if I should put some white grapefruit into the box that I am shipping via UPS to our rental house, that will have our pool toys, beach towels etc?

I would appreciate any responses that our LA area TC'ers might be able to offer.

Mahalo,

Craig in Cincinnati

On 2009-08-22 00:00, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
As I posted in a previous thread, my Wife & I are flying into LA in a few weeks. We have rented a great house in Palm Desert and we're also spending a couple of days at the Beverly hills Hilton (thanks to my Hilton Honor Points!). I'm buying our whole bar setup in LA, likely at Hi Times.

Here's my question: What variety of grapefruit an I likely to find in the LA area? Here in Cincinnati I've only recently found white grapefruit, which are so renown in (and well suited for) Tiki cocktails. Up till now I have only been able to find Ruby Red, Pink & Indian River Grapefruit, which while being very good are just not the same as the white variety. I'm wondering if I should put some white grapefruit into the box that I am shipping via UPS to our rental house, that will have our pool toys, beach towels etc?

I would appreciate any responses that our LA area TC'ers might be able to offer.

Mahalo,

Craig in Cincinnati

Ruby, ruby, ruby....EVERYWHERE!

If you realy poke around, AND get lucky, you'll find yellow and white. But, ruby red took over a few years ago.

Don't get me started on a grapefruit :)
I love grapefruit in drinks, and it has been almost impossible to get the white ones (regular ol' grapefruit) here in So-Cal. Seems people decided they wanted sweet grapefruit instead.
I recently found a secret supply for free (well it takes the labor of a very good friend of mine), but at stores I have seen them at:
Whole Foods Market
Albertson's
Ralph's

They are pretty expensive, unfortunately.
Ran

I see Pomelos every once in a while. They are like a huge (up to 5 lbs) Neandrethal ancestor of the modern grapefruit, but they don't really have the kick of white grapefruit.

"Seems people decided they wanted sweet grapefruit instead"
I know what you mean, I like a good glass of grapefruit juice with breakfast and now all you can find is ruby red grapefruit COCTAIL. Which means its 90% sugar water (HFCS) 8% apple & pear juice. 1.5% artificial flavoring and 0.5% grapefruit juice. IHOP does carry unadulterated white grapefruit juice that will curl your nosehairs, AWESOME!!!!

N
nuKKe posted on Mon, Aug 24, 2009 2:38 AM

On 2009-08-23 10:42, MadDogMike wrote:
I see Pomelos every once in a while. They are like a huge (up to 5 lbs) Neandrethal ancestor of the modern grapefruit, but they don't really have the kick of white grapefruit.

Definitely not the same. The peel is thick and unfriendly and the taste, as far as I recall, is more bland, though I always get the kick out of separating the membranes(?).
I'd use red grapefruit and wouldn't opt for pomelos but then, I don't have to choose, as white grapefruit are found in every market here, pretty much year-round.

On 2009-08-23 00:57, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I love grapefruit in drinks, and it has been almost impossible to get the white ones (regular ol' grapefruit) here in So-Cal. Seems people decided they wanted sweet grapefruit instead.
I recently found a secret supply for free (well it takes the labor of a very good friend of mine), but at stores I have seen them at:
Whole Foods Market
Albertson's
Ralph's

Ran

:) :wink:

H

On 2009-08-24 18:25, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2009-08-23 00:57, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Whole Foods Market
Albertson's
Ralph's

Ran

:) :wink:

Apparently white grapefruit trees can often be found near swimming pools!

M

Remember, grapefruit season is in the winter, so you won't find any decent varietals until then. My personal current favorite is the "oroblanco," which is actually more of a Pomelo than a grapefruit -- but who's keeping score, eh?

Pages: 1 7 replies