Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

This Saturday! Martini Kings unveil 55,000 pound tiki! 18 bands /giant tucson block party!

Pages: 1 1 replies

it's not cali, but its damn close. take a road trip with the martini kings!
Come join us in tucson, arizona on August 29th!)
For centuries people have wondered how the giant Moais from Eastern Island were moved about the island. This morning on 4th Ave. a few people witnessed how it would be done today. The 55,000-pound Tiki head from the closed Magic Carpet was today lifted from its resting place and placed on top of its new steel structural foundation.

The head, of what the Magic Carpet called Stone Face, was transported to the parking lot of The Hut on 4th Ave. & 8th St. December 23. It has been resting quietly there while the operators of The Hut raised the necessary funds to rebuild the steel base (to meet new City guidelines) and to pay the crane and construction costs. Totally they have committed over $60,000 to rescue this Tucson icon for future generations. The statue was originally created by the late Lee Koplin of Magic Carpet Golf fame in approximately 1971.

If you go by The Hut you will not be able to see the Tiki since the erection onto its new foundation this morning. The head has been wrapped awaiting the new artistic base presently in process. It will be completed on location in the next few weeks. The artist, Tom Prevatt from Amado, is creating one similar to the original sculpture from the Magic Carpet Golf property on Speedway.

On August 29, The Hut will hold a major event to unveil the completed statue to the public. Bands The Martini Kings, The Del Reys and others will perform in a great Tiki blessing ceremony. The public is invited.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Aug 24, 2009 8:55 AM

With the recent closings of some modern built 'faux-tiki' (a-hum)

• I welcome news of 'saved from destruction' pop-culture icons. The Tucson Stone Face warrants all efforts to restore a loving home to him and I'm SO HAPPY to read about his grand un-veiling this Saturday. I can't make it in person but rest assured I'm there in spirit. Thanks Tony for posting this. I'll be sure to pay Stone a visit when I'm in Tucson for the Tucson Gem an Mineral show next February.

Pages: 1 1 replies