Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Pictures (that you didn't drink!)

Pages: 1 13 replies

One of the bars (House of Hayden) in downtown Long Beach had a "Hawaiian Luau Night" on Saturday, presumably to coincide with the Tiki Beach Festival. Here is the recipe for their "Mai Tai"...they also were offering equally hilarious Blue Hawaiians and Singapore Slings.

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2009-08-24 12:03 ]

Ooo! That IS painful.

On 2009-08-25 07:40, The Gnomon wrote:
Ooo! That IS painful.

:o I just had a small seizure.

Hmmm, that Mai Tai is up there with the one made by this robot,(cough), Playmate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUo94gEMR0

No caption required.

S

A

Even putting aside the Mai Tai name, it looks like it would be an awful drink. Dragonberry, coconut, orange, pineapple, grenadine.....

H

They should keep the drink but just rename it something like:

Satan's Cess Pool

Fecal Island Punch

Pele's Puke

Side note - I did happen to try the "Singapore Sling"...to its credit it did have soda, cherry brandy, and gin in it...but also vodka. One of my non-tiki friends ordered it...but without the gin (and a second shot of vodka). I was going to tell her that a Singapore Sling without gin was like a BLT hold the bacon, but she seemed to be enjoying it, so what the hell. What a great night it was to be the designated driver :wink:

I'm sure we can assume that Dragonberry Bacardi was front and center on the bar rail at Hinky Dink's.

You can bet your wooden leg on that one.

Did anyone else try the Hukilau Mai Tai at the Wreck Bar in the Yankee Clipper during the 08 Hukilau? I ordered one took a look. Took a sniff. Then took a sip. Then gave it back.

Yes! I made the same mistake and had exactly the same response - which was compounded by the fact that I was sitting at the bar watching it being made from a recipe that the bartender had on a piece of paper (or card) on the back bar. I'm just really thankful I didn't order the Zombie! It could have been fatal.

Pages: 1 13 replies