Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Bar is upcoming Estate Sale in Riverside CA

Pages: 1 30 replies

Here's an item coming up in a sale in Riverside, California. I got an e-mail last night about it and thought I'd share it.

This item is in perfect condition. It was shipped over from the Philippines right after WWII. It still has the original bar key and seat covers.

I've never seen one in such good and original condition.

[ Edited by: rootmedia 2009-09-18 00:13 ]

That's reeeeeeally nice! Do they have a price in mind for it?

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2009-08-27 08:29 ]

J

Do you have a link to info about the sale? Or are you just being a tease? :wink:

Nice bar ,but whereS the information and pricing.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-08-26 13:56 ]

I got the same email from the estate people. They just sent this link as a teaser for the sale. They haven't emailed the rest of the pictures or location yet. I'll update TC when I get it, if the other poster doesn't. Most of their sales are usually in the Riverside, CA area.

Here's the ad from the Estate sale people....

Rattan Bar has 5 Bar Stools. In Mint Condition with no Tears in the Seats. Has Copper Accents on the Chairs and Footrest of the Bar. Complete with Key to Locking Liqueur Cabinet and Tin Lined Ice Drawer. Only one owner from 1940s to present.

[ Edited by: rootmedia 2009-09-18 00:12 ]

This bar with the chairs rocks!
Whoever TCer that lives near there, better get it now!

T

Get there early and stand in line, folks!

I used to frequent estate sales in Riverside and at times there may be 100+ people waiting on the sidewalk at 6:00am! I've witnessed fist fights at some of 'em..what a scene. A couple of times the cops would show up because the property owners just wouldn't let everyone in at once. You get the idea..one hundred buyers..two buyers in at a time every fifteen minutes or so. Yelling. Screaming. Anxious energy in the air due to sheer anticipation of what may lie ahead just beyond those closed doors.

I'd usually have to battle with people with intentions of eBay sales, and since they are general collectible seekers with really no set wants - they would go around and pick things up so they had them in their possession - only to sort thru the goodies at checkout and put things back because they had no intention to buy everything anyway. I'm sure all of us have these kinds of experiences to share.

But you know, the cliche of "the early bird catches the worm" rings true. You just never know what surfaces at these types of sales beyond what's posted in the paper.

Good Luck and happy hunting. Please share the experience with us at TC post-sale.

nice accordians!!...and of course, the obligatory tiki spoon and fork wall hanging..don't everybody push and shove to get your hands on those !!

I guarantee you they will want too much for the bar.It's too bad it's that dark stained
rattan and not the blonde rattan.Blonde rattan is much more sought after in my 14 years
experience of buying,selling , collecting and restoring vintage rattan.
This is most likely a Philippines import .One nice feature is the galvanized
drawer for ice , not found too often in these bars.Also looks like it has a nice solid
mahogany or walnut top with routed out grooves for holding glasses.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-08-27 13:44 ]

So are there any TC'ers actually going to this?

On 2009-08-27 12:36, 1961surf wrote:
I guarantee you they will want too much for the bar.It's too bad it's that dark stained
rattan and not the blonde rattan.Blonde rattan is much more sought after in my 14 years
experience of buying,selling , collecting and restoring vintage rattan.
This is most likely a Philippines import .One nice feature is the galvanized
drawer for ice , not found too often in these bars.Also looks like it has a nice solid
mahogany or walnut top with routed out grooves for holding glasses.

You sound like you're gonna buy it. :D

I contacted the company that that handles the estate sale three days ago, with no
returned call or email.... so screw them .I hope someone gets it at a good price
and doesn't get bent over.

The people probably didn't contact you back because they don't allow people to buy before the sale opens. They offer everyone equal opportunity to buy items.

I've been shopping with these people for over 7 years and know them well. They try to be fair with everyone. There's no previews and no presales.

I do know that the bar hasn't sold yet. I was there this afternoon.

They're asking $1,995.00 for it. But you can make a written bid for it above half price. I might bid on it tomorrow morning but I simply don't have the finances for it. I'm going to try and see what I can do.

On 2009-08-28 16:14, rootmedia wrote:
I've been shopping with these people for over 7 years and know them well. They try to be fair with everyone. There's no previews and no presales.
I do know that the bar hasn't sold yet. I was there this afternoon.
They're asking $1,995.00 for it. But you can make a written bid for it above half price.

When I go to estate sales, I do so to find bargains, of which this is not exactly one. It's merely a fair price, half would be a good deal. If you know this company, and before I ever go all the way to Riverside, please allow me to inquire: Do they sell cool stuff cheaply, or do most of their desirable things already have "collectors prices"?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-08-29 00:18 ]

They sell stuff at very good prices. They have a sale nearly every week and they are very popular. They are reasonable and the people who run the sales are well known in the area. They must be cheap because they always have a huge crowd all the time and I sometimes go near closing on the last day and everything is gone.

The bar even at half price , is not a good or even a fair deal.Rattan is soft on the
market right now except for really collectible pieces.I think their goal is to get as
a high of a price as possible for the people they are selling for ,just like their
website states .Hopefully in this economy the people that showed found some
decent deals on some things.

http://odekirks.com/

Here's one for $300, not my sale.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/fuo/1342543634.html

I imagine shipping will cost less than purchasing the other. No chairs and the condition looks a little more aged.

The bar by itself doesn't really stick out much, but with those stools, it looks like it's right out of classic Tiki bar.
They probably want a grand for the stools too. (?)

The stools and bar are both being sold together for one price.

The $300 Tiki Bar doesn't have the copper wrapped foot rest and copper capped stools. The top of the one in the sale was in perfect shape.

J

I bought this bar today and its the best tiki i've ever seen! Its going to be for sale again- i was laid off last week and i am starting a retro-furniture business. my site is http://www.retrogradela.com which is still under construction. Let me know if your interested and we'll talk!
josh.

Which bar did you buy ?

J

i bought the riverside estate sale bar.

On 2009-08-30 19:54, jkeys10 wrote:
I bought this bar today and its the best tiki i've ever seen!

Of coarse it is, you're re-selling it.

J

quote:

"Of coarse it is, you're re-selling it."

touche... but i wouldn't have bought the thing if it wasn't amazing. i think anyone here who went to that sale would agree! have you seen anything like this around? if so, where?

J

quote:

touche... but i wouldn't have bought the thing if it wasn't amazing. i think anyone here who went to that sale would agree! have you seen anything like this around? if so, where?

J

quote:

L

jkeys10 I wish you good luck on your reselling endeavor. As someone who is passionate about vintage and resells it myself I applaud anyone willing to try to make a full time job out of it and I like how your website is coming along.

I am not sure what you paid for the bar but I am glad someone who appreciates it bought it..regardless if you plan on reselling it again.

Beats it going to someone who would paint over it!

The bar is wonderful! I wish I could afford it. I would have bought it.

I'm very jealous.

Pages: 1 30 replies